🎷 AotW: Jazz Lee Ritenour - RIO

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You Rate This Album?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Lee Ritenour
RIO
Elektra Musician E1-60024
upload_2014-10-26_17-13-57.jpeg

Released 1982

Peaked at #11 on the Jazz Album chart and #163 on the Billboard 200 chart (1982)

Produced by Lee Ritenour for Captain Fingers Productions
Co-Produced by Toshi Endo for Toshi Endo Productions

Songs:

1. Rio Funk (Lee Ritenour) - 5:05
2. San Juan Sunset (Eumir Deodato) - 5:34
3. Rainbow (Don Grusin) - 5:44
4. A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That (Lee Ritenour) - 5:05
5. Simplicidad (Lee Ritenour) - 4:57
6. Ipanema Sol (Lee Ritenour) - 4:25
7. It Happens Everyday (Joe Sample) - 5:40
Musicians:
Lee Ritenour - Acoustic Guitar on all tracks

Tracks 1, 2 & 4 recorded in New York City with:
Dave Grusin - Keyboards
Marcus Miller - Bass
Buddy Williams - Drums
Jeff Mironov - Rhythm Guitar
Rubens Bassini - Percussion

Tracks 3 & 5 recorded in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil with:
Paulinho Braga - Drums
Luizao Maia - Bass
Oscar Neves - Rhythm Guitar
Don Grusin - Keyboards
Chico Batera, Jose Da Silva, Roberto Pinheiro & Armando Marcal - Percussion

Tracks 6 & 7 recorded in Santa Barbara, CA with:
Don Grusin - Keyboards
Abraham Laboriel - Bass
Alex Acuna - Drums
Steve Forman - Percussion
Ernie Watts - Soprano Sax & Flute

Rhythm arrangements by Lee Ritenour
"San Juan Sunset" arrnaged by Lee Ritenour and Don Grusin
String arrangements by Dave Grusin
Horn arrangements by Jerry Hey

Recorded and Mixed by Don Murray and Larry Rosen
Recorded at Sigle Studios, Rio de Janeiro; Santa Barbara Sound, CA; A&R Studios, NYC

Available at Amazon.com (with song samples): http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Lee-Ritenour/dp/B00122V45K/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1414361100&sr=1-1&keywords=lee ritenour rio

Capt. Bacardi

This was reissued on CD with a different cover:

Lee_Ritenour_Rio.jpg

Wounded Bird Records reissued "Rio" along with "On The Line" (2 albums on 1 CD). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Wasn't Rio originally on a Japanese label (I'm thinking Victor)?

I have it here on Elektra/Musician, the CD having a pink "target" label. Can't say I ever warmed to it though--I think it was too slick and "Los Angeles" for my taste. There is some good playing on it, however. I prefer Festival which IIRC came around 1990, but that's just my two cents worth. YMMV as always.

On this album Lee Ritenour plays acoustic guitar in a rather lightweight outing. There's some tasty playing by Rit but really not a lot of fire for the most part. "Ipanema Sol" is the only track that shows some gusto. The rest pretty much falls into that smooth jazz genre, although it would be a few years before the term "smooth jazz" came into play. It's an okay album but nothing really special.

Capt. Bacardi

What could be a more enlightening and up-lifting outing, if there were more "Rio", done in Rio...

Some tasty grooves, but a bit of session fatigue, and for this talented guitarist to make one entry a remake of Eumir Deodato's "San Juan Sunset",only proves that all great art knows where the dump lies...

-- Dave

On this album Lee Ritenour plays acoustic guitar in a rather lightweight outing. There's some tasty playing by Rit but really not a lot of fire for the most part. "Ipanema Sol" is the only track that shows some gusto. The rest pretty much falls into that smooth jazz genre, although it would be a few years before the term "smooth jazz" came into play. It's an okay album but nothing really special.

Capt. Bacardi

Although this may not be one of Rit's Standouts i personally enjoy this album ( i still have the GRP CD issue which i bought in the 90s) i like San juan Sunset. It happens everyday. ( one of my favorite crusaders songs.) and a great acoustic guitar version of "A Little Bit of This and A Little Bit of That"! Which i have heard on the radio many times. Overall i think its a great album. I have Many Ritenour Cds from His Debut " First Course" to His 1993 Cd "WES BOUND". And i enjoy every one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom