"Little Altar Boy" Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit1234

I'm normally not a big fan of Christmas music or religious/spiritual tracks, however, after listening to this song (as well as "White Christmas" and "Ave Maria") from the third disc of 'The Essential Collection 1967-1997', I must say that "Little Altar Boy" is one of most haunting performances Karen and Richard ever laid down on wax (on par with "Superstar", "Solitarie","Desperado", and "Rainy Days And Mondays".)

The lyrics where Karen sings "I have gone astray...take my sins away....what must I do to be holy like you?...I wonder could you pray for me?...Could you tell our Lord I'm gonna change my ways today?" just really struck a chord with me - and naturally made me think of the turmoil she herself was facing during that time period.

For anyone who hasn't really given this track much attention, I highly recommend you give it a listen. As many others have mentioned, it doesn't need to be December to enjoy a Carpenters Christmas song.

You're right! It doesn't have to be Christmas to enjoy holiday music, particularly the Carpenter's Christmas music. This song, "Little Altar Boy", has always been my favorite of them all. Years ago, when "Christmas Portrait" was first released, I went nuts trying to get the sheet music for this, in any way, shape or form I could. I came up empty for years. I would gladly have bought the SATB version, but I couldn't even get that! Now, it's available in their own "Christmas Portrait, Special Edition" published by Hal Leonard, which has wonderful arrangements of their music, too! It seems to be a compilation of both of their Christmas albums, as is The Christmas Collection" 2 cd set that is now available.

Happy listening!

Marilyn, who is anxiously awaiting the new CD and DVD already on their way!

I love this track. I usually play the C's Christmas Albums in July. :D

Like you said, it doesn't have to be Christmas for me to enjoy them.

...who still needs to order the new Carpenters CD & DVD, online...

Choir arrangement was beautiful in this track and Karen's voice was unmatched. I bet she loved singing the tune....it fits her perfectly.

Can't believe this track didn't make Christmas Portrait. :o
The idea of releasing a double Christmas album didn't come true in '78
so I imagine what it would have been like. thinking it would be different from the combination of Christmas Portrait and An Old-fashioned Christmas on cd. :confused:
Listening to the song, I can fancy Karen in white singing in a candle-lit church under the starry sky :cry: and find myself singing to her vocals. :oops:
I hope a lot more people will have a chance to hear this beautiful song. :wink:

Little Altar Boy is Outstanding Carpenters Track with Karen's Sublime Vocals , Richard's Production and Playing -A Song that Could be Released as CD Single Outside of Festive Period :)

Richard Mentioned This Song as a Personal Favourite in Several UK Interviews and His Plans to Release ASAP After Voice Of The Heart Album :)

Christmas Portrait was Intended as Double Album Release Until Summer 1978 , When Richard (In Declining Health and Energy) Realised Time was Running Out to Complete Production, Mixing and Mastering :shock:

Other Tracks Would Have Been Released and Several More Recorded for the Planned Double Album :sad:

Peter

I saw a few copies of LAB promo single from a collection of a friend.
I should have bought a copy of that song featured on both sides.
I wonder why they didn't release it commercially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom