Live At Budokan - Name Of Opening Instrumental Track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit1234

Howdy guys,

I had a tough question and was wondering if anyone here knows the answer? :o

What's the name of the instrumental track that plays at the beginning of the Live At Budokan home video? This track plays in the background before the actual concert footage. It's very haunting...I just love it.

BTW, if anyone wants to know the name of instrumental track that plays at the end of the Carpenters Gold DVD, it's Burt Bacharach's instrumental version of "Close To You".

Thanks guys :)

Actually, that's a pretty easy question (for those who've seen the video, of course). The instrumental is "Heather", which is found on the Carpenters' Now And Then album, third track on the album.

The track plays as the documentary portion of the program gets just past the landing at the airport of Karen & Richard and continues while they do some touristy stuff and receive some gold record awards. Then the program gets to the Budokan and we see and hear some of the pre-concert setup and sound check.

Harry
NP: "Live At Budokan" Carpenters (LaserDisc)

I feel so dumb. :oops: I actually have a vinyl copy of 'Now And Then'. I better go and put it on right now...

You have to forgive me. I just became a real Carpenters fan this year - got all the albums on vinyl (except MIA and Christmas Portrait), got RC and KC's solo albums, got the Essential collection, plus a ton of other stuff. I haven't really given the 'Now And Then' album a good listen (with the exception of the Yesterday Once More Medley and the singles which were released).

"Heather" - gonna listen to it now! Thanks :)

...and obviously you've seen Live At Budokan! There are still many folks here in the US who've not had the opportunity, so count yourself lucky.

As I recall, the song "Heather" had been used in various television commercials which is where Richard heard it.

Harry
...on a quiet Sunday afternoon, online...

Harry said:
As I recall, the song "Heather" had been used in various television commercials which is where Richard heard it.

Wasn't this the same with "We've Only Just Begun?" Didn't Richard hear this on a late-night commercial, obtain the rights and record it?

Jon

Hey Harry,

Not only have I seen "Live At Budokan" (got the VCD from ebay), but I've also seen "Carpenters First Television Special", "Space Encounters" and am getting ready to pop in "Music Music Music" for the first time...

I've even seen the London Bridge Special featuring the "For All We Know" (Reprise). Man...just loving this stuff.

LOL at Suzanne Somers in "Space Encounters" - what a ditz.

I can't believe someone with a voice like Karen Carpenter actually duetted with someone like Suzanne Somers ("Man Smart, Woman Smarter"). I know Three's Company was a hit in 1976...but c'mon! Pairing those two is like pairing cavier and peanut butter!

The TV specials are fun to see for a devoted fan. But they were taped in the 1970's and it certainly shows, not only in the choice of guest stars but the sensibility and clothing styles as well.

A lot of people think these would make good DVDs, and perhaps we fans would really enjoy them, but I wonder about the mass appeal.

Harry

I just finished watching 'Music, Music, Music" and I have two words: HOLY SH!T!

This was the best television special they ever did! No cute jokes! No unnecessary comedic skits! No silly guest stars! Just pure, unadulterated music (mind you, I'm still a little miffed that John Davidson was invited, but I digress).

"A Song For You"...."Without A Song"...."I Got Rhythm"....."Ain't Misbehavin' (Saving All My Love For You) - Ella Fitzgerald..."Dizzy Fingers"...."Karen/Ella Medley"...."Murder On Tenth Avenue"...."When I Fall In Love"...."You're Just In Love"...."1980 Medley"....Ella Fitzgerald also performed one solo number where she skatted like crazy - Man, I loved it! Does anyone know the name of it?!

What a freakin treat to see all these songs presented live! I've heard them all on "The Essential Collection" and "As Time Goes By", but to actually see them brought to life on screen was thrilling!

I understand what you're saying about mass appeal - the TV specials likely wouldn't offer that if they went on sale. However, I think a much better idea would be to compile a video companion to "As Time Goes By" featuring the selections from 'Music, Music, Music' plus more rare archive footage (ie. "And When He Smiles" from BBC, etc.)

Just having a great day...Amit

amit1234 said:
....Ella Fitzgerald also performed one solo number where she skatted like crazy - Man, I loved it! Does anyone know the name of it?!

She started out her solo number with "How High The Moon", then began scatting - I don't know what tune that was, but whatever it was, it sounded great! - and she ended with a few lines of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes".

I suspect the only reason that John Davidson was on this special was because his show "That's Incredible" was on ABC at the time. Still, his singing voice is pretty good - I prefer his performance of "You're Just In Love" to Richard's (which appeared on the "As Time Goes By" CD).

Of all the Carpenters TV specials, "Music, Music, Music" is the most deserving of a DVD release.

Murray

Murray said:
She started out her solo number with "How High The Moon", then began scatting - I don't know what tune that was, but whatever it was, it sounded great! - and she ended with a few lines of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes".

I suspect the only reason that John Davidson was on this special was because his show "That's Incredible" was on ABC at the time. Still, his singing voice is pretty good - I prefer his performance of "You're Just In Love" to Richard's (which appeared on the "As Time Goes By" CD).

Of all the Carpenters TV specials, "Music, Music, Music" is the most deserving of a DVD release.

Murray

Hey Murray - Thanks for informing me about the names of the songs Ella performed ("How High The Moon" and "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"). I'm still amazed at her skatting abilities - just phenomenal.

I did some more research on John Davidson yesterday and found that he also hosted "Hollywood Squares", "The 25,000 Pyramid", and also hosted The Tonight Show eighty times (the most ever for a guest host) during Carson's reign. As you know, he also appeared in the Carpenters 'Space Encounters'.

I actually prefer Richard's performance of "You're Just In Love" over John's. I'm a big Richard fan and feel that although his voice wasn't exactly lead singer material, it did and still does have a certain charm to it ("Your Wonderful Parade", "Druscilla Penny", "I Fell In Love With You", and "Piano Picker" being his strongest vocal performances.)

The performances from 'Music Music Music' must be released - there is no reason why Richard should keep this one in the vaults (unlike the 'The Carpenters First Television Special' and 'Space Encounters' which haven't aged well with time.)

Amit (still getting over the Carpenters performing "Boogie Nights" on Space Encounters)

The song "Heather" originally was the backing music for the Geritol commercials of the early 70's. I remember when I first bought "Now & Then" and heard it there (not knowing the title of the Geritol song.) Me and my sister were listening and looked at each other and shouted in unison "Geritol!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom