Live At Palladium CD Quality

Kristopher

So other then LP I’ve Listened to a LP Rip I did back in 2007 when I was 18. Sounded good enough until I finally got the “pickwick” CD.

Omg it sounds horrible. I’ve upgraded to a nude elliptical stylus and just did a new vinyl transfer... my new transfer sounds better then the pickwick CD! (And very clean)

Is there a better disc version out there that has more depth?

Pickwick is a budget label. Probably bad transfers or second generation. Sometimes they’re ok, often poor sound. I only have the 2 Japanese versions. First one from white box set, listening to it now. Pretty good. The Shm version is definitely good! Unfortunately they will both cost a small fortune to obtain them . Best of hunting though.

Pickwick is a budget label. Probably bad transfers or second generation. Sometimes they’re ok, often poor sound. I only have the 2 Japanese versions. First one from white box set, listening to it now. Pretty good. The Shm version is definitely good! Unfortunately they will both cost a small fortune to obtain them . Best of hunting though.

I’ll listen to my rip or try to find a lossless torrent until I find one. (I don’t feel bad downloading if I KNOW I’m gonna buy it and own it on other formats.) If I don’t find torrent vinyl transfer it is for now.

I saw an SHM disc but didn’t know if it was the same transfer. I appreciate you telling me.

So I just got the Japanese SHM of Palladium... and omg my mind is blown away. What were the source tapes for the original pickwick release and the newer release?

The original sounds terrible.

Strange this is only a hand limited release... came with all kinds of stuff I love it!

I might have to get me a copy of the SHM CD if it sounds better than the Pickwick CD. I've always thought it was weakest in Carpenters catalog regarding sound quality.

I always felt that the 'sound quality' of the UK- pressed vinyl LP sounded terrible,
so it was no surprise to me that the Pickwick cd suffered.
The japanese vinyl-pressing of the LP is hardly an improvement, if memory serves (I'll listen to it later today).

I did not know that the Japanese the release of live at the Palladium I thought it was a UK exclusive. I did a final transfer from the British record using a simple elliptical stylus. (I now have a nude stylus.) The difference was night and day and I was using a cheap preamp at the time. I’m comparing my LP transfer to the Pickwick CD.

Only 5000 copies were made for the re-issue of palladium on CD. The quality is clear and amazing. The vocals are crisp like Live In Japan.

Since I started collecting Carpenters records back in 1993 I have replaced my collection (studio albums) quite a bit, sold a few if they were a rare imported edition, gave a way some, etc. I have several rare compilations by now (including a photo of my latest addition in this post), and I have 3 studio albums I have still to purchase again. One of them being MIA, which I received today from Amazon. What a poor copy it is! The cover and back artwork are awfully printed, even the booklet inside, lyrics are all blurry and it sometimes look like a xerox copy. Quite disappointing. There is no information on where it was manufactured or what year it was made. I will have to try to get older issues, but I had no idea quality had downgraded so much in this new re issues. I am going to get a copy of the japanese Palladium, after reading the comments here.

Carpenters Special Collection Sample

It's sad that there are so many bootlegs or gray market discs available out there. Any disc that's really from Universal should sound just fine and the printing would be top-notch. There are always misprints I suppose, but really, if it's not right, Amazon should be able to replace it.

Looking for older, official issues is a way to go - also, official releases from Japan are usually really good.

The best vinyl pressing are from Japan on the A&M /Alfa label made in the 80’s. The early Japanese vinyl, King Records/A&M pressings are ok, but the Alpha vinyl is audiophile quality to me. Very clean and seldom any noise or popping. All the studio albums through VOTH plus Live in Japan, First 10 years, and Anthology.
I took Rudy’s opinion and advice about the Fluance RT-85 turntable. It’s pricey, but the sound it reproduces is better than cd to my ears. It’s made listening to vinyl really fun again.

One of them being MIA, which I received today from Amazon. What a poor copy it is! The cover and back artwork are awfully printed, even the booklet inside, lyrics are all blurry and it sometimes look like a xerox copy. Quite disappointing. There is no information on where it was manufactured or what year it was made.

Carpenters Special Collection Sample
It's sad that there are so many bootlegs or gray market discs available out there. Any disc that's really from Universal should sound just fine and the printing would be top-notch. There are always misprints I suppose, but really, if it's not right, Amazon should be able to replace it.
Jorge, the MIA CD you have looks exactly like the one I got from Amazon two years ago. The one I have was made in Germany, where the Carpenters albums were re-issued in 2009 for the 40th anniversary (mine has a "Carpenters 40" sticker on the jewel case). Look on the back of the disc, in the area around the hub. Mine has the Universal logo, and "Made in Germany by EDC". This is the only place where the country of manufacture is listed. My booklet and tray liner are also a little fuzzy. It's possible that the original printing plates may have been lost, damaged, or destroyed at some point, and that they were working from scans of the original artwork, or they may have printed them on a cheap grade of paper to save money, and the ink bled a bit. I also wondered if the CD may not be legitimate, a concern which I raised in an email to Amazon. They replied that the title was supplied to them by Universal.

Jorge, the MIA CD you have looks exactly like the one I got from Amazon two years ago. The one I have was made in Germany, where the Carpenters albums were re-issued in 2009 for the 40th anniversary (mine has a "Carpenters 40" sticker on the jewel case). Look on the back of the disc, in the area around the hub. Mine has the Universal logo, and "Made in Germany by EDC". This is the only place where the country of manufacture is listed. My booklet and tray liner are also a little fuzzy. It's possible that the original printing plates may have been lost, damaged, or destroyed at some point, and that they were working from scans of the original artwork, or they may have printed them on a cheap grade of paper to save money, and the ink bled a bit. I also wondered if the CD may not be legitimate, a concern which I raised in an email to Amazon. They replied that the title was supplied to them by Universal.

Here’s some info on EDC. EDC, Germany

Apparently around 2013 they dropped that “Made in Germany by EDC”. I’ve got 5 Carpenters CD’s made by them: the 2-disc 1998 YOM set and the 2013 3-disc Collected set. (All 5 discs also have the Universal globe logo etched above the Made in part) The YOM set mentions that the discs and liner notes could be manufactured at seperate locations , which I think occurred with my YOM set. However it is sharp on both the liner notes and CD label. However, the 2013 Collected set’s digipack is a blurry mess (not to mention, but the front photo looks like it was poorly cut out of whatever photo it was in).

However, the 2013 Collected set’s digipack is a blurry mess (not to mention, but the front photo looks like it was poorly cut out of whatever photo it was in).

This is quite true - and it made for a terrible LP cover when blown up to 12x12 size for that release.

Just found that the Japanese "Close to You" SHM-CD released by USM Japan /Universal Music list the Carpenters as "CARPENTARS" in the side label of the cd :hmmm:

With Palladium I have to wonder if the concert was recorded softer than the Japanese concert. Or the recording company was using say a 8-track recorder vs say a 24 and the master is closer in quality to the “Offering” master, whereas Japan might’ve used a 16 or 24 and would be closer to “Now & Then”?

The SHM Mini-LP to Offering came with both covers, allowing you to choose between the original offering cover or blue cover. (To put your CD in.) The blue cover with them on the sail boat listed ”Close To You” as a song on the album. The original “Flower” Offering had the correct tracklist. So when I play the SHM Offering on CD its always out of the original 1969 cover. How do they mess up the first two albums like that?

Looking for older, official issues is a way to go - also, official releases from Japan are usually really good.

The only older albums that sound better is the 1980s Passage and 1985’s Yesterday Once More. (Passage is night and day.) Some sound exactly the same. I have minimum 3 of every major album. Was there a german pressed Lovelines? All I see are “CD On Demand.” Almost all my german pressed discs have blurry fonts for the booklets, but the sonics are the same as the original 1998 Remasters.

Back
Top Bottom