Live at the Expo ‘70 – Critique and Discussion

Select the definitive performance at the concert (APR70)

• What the World Needs Now / Pretty World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Going Out of My Head

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • To Say Goodbye

• The Dock of the Bay

• Daytripper

• Fool On The Hill

• Scarborough Fair

• Norwegian Wood

• Mas, Que Nada!

• Viola

• (Am not familiar with this release)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOv2

Live at the Expo ‘70 – Critique and Discussion

Not part of the original US commercial release sequence, at this time Live at the Expo ’70 is the only live document of Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 (a “Brasil ‘77” live set, apparently from 1972, serves as another live article from the 1966-72 A&M era). The show was captured in Osaka, Japan 05APR70; it’s unknown if the release was made available in Japan at that time; however, the layout and design of the 2002 Japanese CD suggests the proceedings were originally prepared for LP release.

The CD addresses a few pending issues with the band – first and foremost Karen Philipp’s role. The release was mixed such that each female vocalist was placed hard left [Lani] and hard right [Karen]…and finally, after three LPs, we get to differentiate between both voices: There are some similarities between the two – they seem to optimally cover the same vocal range, and their phrasing is very similar; however, Karen’s voice appears to be a bit earthier, and sexually husky given its slightly lower pitch and heightened breathiness. Consistent with the LPs, Lani is the principal vocalist as her voice is continuously more up front in the mix. Most of the time the women sing in unison – with occasional harmonies normally handled by Lani shifting up a 3rd. At times it appears as though another male voice may be in unison with Sergio – indeed the cover sports an authentic stage-side concert shot of the group with Sebastiao clearly exhibiting a singer’s posture. Sergio is seated at what looks like an 8’ concert grand. His extended improv solos are all major affairs – though all are over vamps (and not chord changes). Rubens has a trio of congas and is also heard on “auxiliary percussion”; Dom Um is seated in front of a characteristic US ‘50s/’60s jazz kit [snare, 2 toms, and kick drums; high-hat, crash, and 2 ride cymbals].

Taken in its 1970s context, the CD serves as an attractive “Best of” compilation – if for only focusing on the recent US-pop-heavy 45 releases; and given all the substantial orchestration that characterized the group’s 1968-69 singles, this adds another level of curiosity to the overall performance. To that end, for those critical of the band’s “orchestrated period”, this CD serves as a welcomed alternative for achieving clean versions of all their A-sides from the period.

As with most live transcriptions, there’s a bit of audience applause tinkering here and there…but nothing more than the usual compression of applause time and editing of insignificant chatter, dead-space and assorted non-musical ambience (though the editors chose to leave in the nearly silly interjective shouts of HOAAH!, UHHH!, HAA! that signal each song’s conclusion…I guess that’s part of the show). And, of course, there’s the usual bit where a Western performer attempts something in Japanese (though it’s doubtful anyone can top the 1966 psychotic, gibberish/Japanese rant of John Lennon, or the 1960 smirky Sayonara from Lee Morgan).

It’s with great pleasure that both performance and recording are of excellent quality – nothing else to do but make 55minutes of quality time and enjoy an excellent concert.

What the World Needs Now / Pretty World. Used as a brisk intro, the jived-up Bacharach tune quickly and wisely gives way to Pretty World. Speaking of pretty worlds, what a world of difference reducing this song to its combo core makes: I must confess personal remorse and offer a first-order apology for calling this song a dog last month. As performed here, it’s very good – and certainly a good fit for the group.

Going Out of My Head. It’s nice that Sergio preserved the feel of original arrangement – as the refined arrangement recalls the original group. Karen lets loose with the line, I must think of a way, into his heart (sadly, her only “solo” in this set) – and we finally get to hear her robust, grainier vocal chops. The vocalists have room for interpretative aspects – and Lani, in particular, often plays up the embellishments. Romao is a keen drummer – note how he subtly elaborates his patterns relative to Joao’s studio version. Sounds like Sergio’s been listening to Horace Silver and Herbie Hancock given his use of funkiness (the ‘60s/jazz definition), modes and space (the latter’s modern point source being Bill Evans). Note, too, how Rubens alternates between conga and tambourine to keep the arrangement dynamic. This song is representative of the concert: the overall treatment throughout is loose, yet tight. A+

To Say Goodbye. Still don’t think much of Sergio as a solo singer (…in fact of A&M’s “Big Three” [TjB, Brasil ’66, BMB] – Julius Wechter is hands down my preferred vocalist). Be that as it may, this Sergio+Lani duet comes off better than the studio version – it’s not as weighty. Sebastiao switches to upright bass for this number.

The Dock of the Bay. While holding firm that this is not a good song selection, Lani’s exuberance – as demonstrated throughout this CD – aids the proceedings. Interesting, too, is how Sergio didn’t work out an ending – opting to emulate the fade out of the 45. The song’s end is signaled when someone (probably Rubens) lets loose with a Perez Prado-influenced AUUUH! .

Daytripper. This one is done up ala fun/funky and is distinguished by one of Sergio’s long-ish one-chord vamp piano solos; his solo is OK – mostly a series of disconnected fragments with no resolution (he merely signals the band back to the head). Also of note is his direction, over the PA, to Dom Um and Rubens (and several thousand concertgoers) to switch to a double time feel – and then back. Lani scats the two-word title fade-out style. Notwithstanding its Brazilinification, it appears as though Sebastiao is not all that comfortable with the “rock” riff central to Lennon’s song (the only time to date he seems technically restricted).

Fool On The Hill. As much as I respect the Grusin version – and it’s an A+ all the way – this version is truly the one for the time capsule. Sergio’s use of a real piano really drives McCartney’s song replete with a vast array of timely melodic embellishments not obvious in the orchestrated release. Lani sweetly sings up a 3rd from Karen for one passage. It’s cute how the women sing the trumpet part from Grusin’s arrangement as a pretty foil against Sergio’s brief half-step/“atonal” take on the melody. Sergio worked out a fine coda and the song comes to a more satisfying conclusion than the 45. Perfect. A++

Scarborough Fair. Re-assessing the Simon song as more of a quasi-chant/launching pad for a modal instrumental vehicle heightens this version immeasurably. …I mean, it takes 7min to make this sort of thing work, you know? This time out Sergio delivers a killer solo – suggesting admiration/influence at the hands of US-jazz pianists Herbie Hancock, Jack Wilson, Horace Silver, and McCoy Tyner. Space is made for Rubens’ omnipresent congas as well (dig the cymbal cone interplay from Dom – so cool!!). Now for a diversity lesson: A Jewish dude wrote a song in the classic Anglo folk tradition, which is sung in English by US/Brazilian musicians for a Japanese audience. (Ain’t it nice when multiculturalism happens naturally and not because some bean-counting gun-slinger forces the issue?) A+

Norwegian Wood. Perhaps the most rewarding element regarding this CD release is hearing Sergio’s piano entirely handle every arrangement – firmly demonstrating what many of us have suspected all along: that all that orchestra business was unnecessary in heightening the musical value to any of these songs. That said, this Lennon song was never orchestrated (at least not for release), although the studio version featured prominent electric guitar. Here, it’s all Sergio…featuring another fine piano solo.

Mas, Que Nada!. Nothing says Brasil ’66 like You, Know What! Although the song serves more as exit music than anything else, it’s still nice to hear the 2nd incarnation of the group plow their way through Jorge’s timeless classic.

Viola. Though listed as the concluding LP selection, following the curtain-closing Mas, Que Nada! and given the LP running time (52min – nearly unheard of for a mainstream pop LP release) suggests this may be a “bonus” track. It’s by far the most Brazilian piece on this collection.

In many ways Live at the Expo ‘70 is the consummate Brasil ’66 LP – finally giving us the combo in all its fully deserved, singular brilliance; and the more listens this record gets, the more it moves into position to challenge Look Around as the representative desert island disk. Yes, it truly is THAT good. Regarding the 2nd incarnation of the group, this is far and away their finest effort.

These were my comments on this album from 5/26/04.

I just received the Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 “Expo 70” CD, recorded live in Osaka, Japan (April 5, 1970). This is my first time to hear Brasil 66 in a live performance and it’s quite enjoyable. While it is obviously not as slick as a studio-produced album, it has a lot of charm. When they perform “Day Tripper” and the audience is clapping to the beat of the music, it really makes me wish I was there – it must have been great. If you’re a fan I’d recommend getting this CD. If you’ve already got it, wipe off the dust and give it a listen; it’s a lot of fun.

Mike

sp4378.jpg

JO said:
(Am not familiar with this release...)

And am I glad that this was in JO's "survey"... Of course were this more widely available then I know I would'a had the Obligatory Live Sergio Album experience...!

Likewise, these are ideal cuts on this album from their well-worn (well, not necessarily "worn") period of time and it just seems to say that this should have been better and sooner commercially released, as opposed to it having been shelved for many years and finally out on CD... --Least this is from my perspective...

However, as with many a Live Release, there is probably the sound of holding action between their last Studio Set and at least three more for A&M until their move to a new label, though still retaining much of their earlier creativity and ability to keep it full of depth and interesting...

Dave

My first experience with LIVE AT THE EXPO '70 came in 1998, in that first heady year of exploration here at A&M Corner. Member Paula had unearthed a noisy copy of the LP, had it professionally digitally cleaned, and had several CD copies made and sent me one. This was my first time seeing that now-familiar blue-green recorded side of CD.

Not content with just owning a copy, I searched with whatever Internet tools were available in 1998 and found an Australian copy at Dusty Groove, beginning my decade-long relationship with that outfit.

This Australian copy is on the Summit label and is housed in a truly odd jacket. It looks like it should be the cover for the second live album - it's titled BRASIL '77 "LIVE" (with a picture of Brasil '77 on the cover), yet the track listing is clearly from the EXPO '70 concert. It's not a late re-issue, as someone's handwriting on the back says "From Carol, 30-3-72", so I imagine it might have been issued in Australia back then.

Still not content, on eBay I later found an actual Japanese pressing with the correct cover and an ochre A&M label of the period (AML 66). In those days before the CD issue, the album sold for rather high prices on the eBay market. The later CD issue from 2002 mimics the packaging of the LP rather closely. It was a gatefold with a lyrics insert, though the LP insert had a few extra pictures: another large picture of the group playing the concert from a slightly different angle and what appears to be a different stage set-up. In that picture, one can see a sign in the background reading the name of the group printed in shiny gold lettering, with a "KYUDO PRESENTS" sign in the upper left of the stage. Sergio is playing a black piano in this picture as opposed to the white piano on the cover. He's wearing a black jacket in this other picture, but is wearing white on in the cover shot.

Sergio's mike in the cover shot is on a straight stand, where in this extra shot he's got a gooseneck holder for the mike. In the cover shot, the elevated stage for Sergio's piano is solid, in the extra shot it's a clear platform with feet. The band's elevated stage in the cover picture has no facing, but the one in the extra picture has a ble facing with an A&M Records logo on it. The ladies appear to be dressed identically in both pictures.

So obviously this extra picture was taken on either a different night or even at a different venue.

With this Forum's change to the current software in 2002, there are probably old threads on what to us seemed like a miracle release of this title on CD back in 2002. "Viola" is indeed a bonus track not included on the original LP, but it had been issued as an EP track in Japan.

Harry
...tripping down memory lane, online...

I first heard this when it came out on Japanese CD in the same batch of releases with PRIMAL ROOTS, STILLNESS and PAIS TROPICAL making their CD debuts.

While I'm not a big fan of Live albums, this one is good because, like James notes, there is such a contrast between the live and studio versions of the tunes. Sergio's piano work is always impressive and you really get the feeling that a Sergio gig is party central.

I'm less impressed with the sound of the vocals, both on this album and the IN CONCERT albums. The "unison" sound in the studio was often achieved by doubletracking, and sounds much more under-control in the studio albums. In concert, the two singers don't mesh as well. I guess a person wouldn't notice this phenomenon as much being in the audience, but on record, it's kind of a big difference from the studio versions and detracts from the enjoyment, for me at least. Maybe that's why the Mendes live albums were never hot sellers (or even released in the U.S., for that matter) and why, in almost all cases, Sergio on TV was lip-synched.

Since we've discussed this album extensively before, I won't rehash much, only to agree that the jam elements are fun, but the vocals (particularly Karen's) are rough and badly out of tune at times.

Mike Blakesley said:
I'm less impressed with the sound of the vocals, both on this album and the IN CONCERT albums. The "unison" sound in the studio was often achieved by doubletracking, and sounds much more under-control in the studio albums. In concert, the two singers don't mesh as well.

Mike, part of the problem is that both singers sing as co-leads and are spatially separated. Singers that sing in close proximity generally sing tighter (it helps to look at each other and feel each other's presence). I get the feeling Lani and Karen strolled around the stage each acting like a lead singer. I'm tolerant of the mesh issue because they are clearly fine singers and their artistic confidence easily outweigh a few technical flaws. (I mean, geeze, if you wanna count flubbed notes from Miles Davis, Dizzy, Louis, or any given Stan Kenton trumpet section, it'd be a full-time occupation [on one Kenton LP, there's a song where 2 or maybe 3 of the 5 trumpeters miss their high notes all at once!) For me, while technical competence is necessary, technical perfection is not (unless your gig is the Al Di Meola thing). Unisons parts that are not perfectly aligned actually make an attractive "out-of-phase" sound. Lani's double track to the famous Fool On The Hill has a couple places where she is clearly off unison -- however, it's obvious Sergio liked the sound and opted to not clean it up.

Harry said:
My first experience with LIVE AT THE EXPO '70 came in 1998, in that first heady year of exploration here at A&M Corner...

Harry, thank you for your memory lane -- very enjoyable. Am always fascinated how music lovers come to find their LPs...the stories are generally a fun read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom