Live Chat with Richard Carpenter (Post Your Question)

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I wasn't in the live chat recently to post a question.
I thought it would be fun to see what your question would have been for Richard to answer.
I think there are so many great questions and some have been mentioned before on this forum.

Here's mine:
Many of the Carpenters singles were released in both Stereo and Mono 45's.
In fact there are 30 singles released in mono on 45 rpm.
There is a fantastic interview you did back in Nov 1976 with Don Elliot titled: "Caution: STEREO Can Be Hazardous To Your MONO"
Would you ever consider releasing all the Carpenters singles in Mono format in a future Carpenters collection.

Thanks for asking - here's mine:

Richard - will you consider releasing one or more albums in which the "double-tracking" (i.e., over-singing by Karen) of Karen's lead vocals on all songs where it was ever used is now eliminated?

As several of us discussed very recently in another thread, if you want to tone down the orchestration and background vocals somewhat, and add some new piano accompaniment and solos by yourself - go "semi unplugged" - that would be wonderful too!

Thanks Much.

Here's one for Richard I asked twice but wasn't selected: Given Chris May's incredible musical skills and knowledge, would he (Richard) ever consider a musical project together? If so, what would it be?

Here's my question...

Is it true that during the song Rainy Days and Mondays, did Karen lay down on the floor and on some cushions and record the song? Or is that just an urban myth?

Can you publish a definitive "score" of the original harmonies (for as many songs possible) so we can hear or even play what you did in some cases? Many of the harmonies are just so complex and incredible, I'd like to be able to really dissect what was going on underneath and behind the mix. While listening to some of the YouTube acapella videos, you get more of a clearer sense of what was happening.

Here's my question...

Is it true that during the song Rainy Days and Mondays, did Karen lay down on the floor and on some cushions and record the song? Or is that just an urban myth?
Not an Urban Myth - those rainy days and Mondays really did get her down...not a great position to maximize breath control...

Did Karen play either timpani or steel drums?
Not as far as any of the recordings were concerned, no. The timpani (in "Hurting Each Other" for example) was played by seasoned studio percussionist, Gary Coleman.
Does Richard play any non-keyboard instruments?
Other than the horn in any number of his many prized automobiles, he does not. :)

I think this errant factoid was confused with John Lennon, who recorded "Revolution" while lying down.

I have another question for Richard. lol

In the Carpenters newsletters #54 July 1977, it talks about the recording of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" Karen solo with 50 singers from the Gregg Smith Chorale plus the entire Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. the A&M sound stage was wired into Studio D and was filled to capacity with musicians. 4 TV stations filmed the footage, it was the largest recording session ever attempted for an album track.

Did you or A&M record this event on video, will the fans ever get a chance to see this? It sounds like it would have made a terrific video special...."The Making of Don't Cry For Me Argentina"

I could even provide a pic to jog Richard's memory. lol
MHrtHYK.png

Can you tell us about your experience working on the Time album and what songs you're most fond of from that solo collection looking at it today? And can you further detail stories/memories working with Veronique and Akiko Kobayashi?

It was shown on LA television, and on Entertainment Tonight, but as an special event, not the whole sessions. It would be nice to see the whole video if it exists.

Hypothetically Richard.
If Karen would of had NO interest in being a singer or musician, and you still pursued to be the pianist ,musician, arranger, producer you have become, of the singer/songwriters out there when you were starting out, who would you liked to of sung the songs you arranged?

Male or female, if you had a choice, based strictly on their vocal acrobatics. Naturally, Karen would be all our first choices. But if.....
Thank you! -JA

Not an Urban Myth - those rainy days and Mondays really did get her down...not a great position to maximize breath control...
True story. She got a bunch of pillows around her and sang it sitting on the floor in the middle of the night. She was wearing her lucky t-shirt that apparently was old and had some holes in it. She says in an interview, "I cut 4 gold records in that t-shirt!" She later framed the t-shirt. : )

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t that one of the live chat questions that Mike read and Richard said no just keyboard.
Yes, it was. GOD, I wish we would have simply reserved the last portion for fan questions. They flew by so fast, I simply couldn’t catch most of them. Ended up doing screen grabs to catch the few I did.

I would of asked If he ever recorded the leads for the songs mentioned in the fan news letters, during the MIA sessions. Even if ultimately they were not used. I loved his vocal guide for you'll never know. I wish we had a lead version released on as time goes by album. I loved it every time he sang some leads. I hope on the purposed Christmas album, he keeps his leads, as an old fashion Christmas, I truly love this track, also it came upon a midnight clear. I hope he would complete a lead and include together at Christmas again. I saw him play/sing this on a YouTube video and it's just magical.

Did Karen play either timpani or steel drums?
I need to correct my previous answer, as I randomly, and for whatever reason, got to thinking about this question again.

Karen did cover the timpani part during the Mark Rudolph radio contest bit in the oldies medley found on Side 2 of Now & Then. Sorry about that! :)

Back
Top Bottom