Live Chat with Richard Carpenter (Post Your Question)

I need to correct my previous answer, as I randomly, and for whatever reason, got to thinking about this question again.

Karen did cover the timpani part during the Mark Rudolph radio contest bit in the oldies medley found on Side 2 of Now & Then. Sorry about that! :)
Did she really? I'm thinking back to the Radio Contest Outtakes found on From the Top, and it seems like Karen is talking from the control booth during that, and coaching whoever is playing the timpani. "Golden mystery group, you want it up there...Would you repeat that please, up again..."

Did she really? I'm thinking back to the Radio Contest Outtakes found on From the Top, and it seems like Karen is talking from the control booth during that, and coaching whoever is playing the timpani. "Golden mystery group, you want it up there...Would you repeat that please, up again..."
Followed by "and where do go I get off?". I believe she was speaking from the studio while at the drums with Richard who was in the control booth. She was seeking clarification from Richard on her cue to end.

@__michael__ points out more or less what is going on here.

At the end of the part where she says "Would you repeat that please, up again..." she finishes by saying, "...and where do I get off?" She's talking to Richard. Let me explain.

For the DJ bit, all of that was recorded in 'Mix One' (one of A&M's mixing studios on the lot) because it's the only room they could get into, as the other studios were booked.

Karen was set up in one part of the room with isolation baffles around the timpani drum, Tony was set up in another to do the voiceover, Mark Rudolph in another, and Richard and engineer Ray Gerhardt were sitting at the mixing/recording console. Karen is talking back through the microphone used to record the drum, and Richard is talking (loudly) through the console's talkback mic, which is why it's distorting.

With that in mind, go back and listen to the outtakes again, and it will all make sense! :)

Last edited:
😲 My mind is blown! Suddenly things make a lot more sense there. I thought "Where do I get off?" was Karen quizzing Tony, but that's definitely Richard answering the question.

"Because I don't know what you're gonna say next" must have been Karen making sense of why she would stop there.

That's even funnier now, knowing that the second blooper was Karen's fault. "Ha! He's there, but we're not!"

Thanks for clarifying for me!

Back
Top Bottom