Live in concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

I'm trying to find the "live in concert" album which came out in '72 or '73. I understand it only came out in Japan though. Can anyone tell me if this is on CD and where coud I purchase it?

Thanks Lee

There are several live Sergio albums, though it sounds like (from the years) you're probably referring to "In Concert" AKA "Live at the Greek Carnival" with Brasil '77, Leporace/Stevens variety. It's never made it to CD (yet--with the recent bunch of reissues, this is the only A&M-er left so I have my hopes), but in LP format shows up pretty regularly on eBay. It's a really great album, IMO (though some here disagree)--much smoother than "Live at Expo '70" (which, again, I like, but others don't), with a killer assortment of hits and stuff from "Primal Roots."

Doing a search on Gemm reveals at least 10 copies of the album in LP format ranging from about $10 through near $30.

One track from the album DID make it to CD this year on that Sergio Mendes Songs selected by Shinichi Osawa compilation from Japan, the live version of "Mas Que Nada" from that concert.

But you're right JMK, In Concert now remains the only A&M title never available on an official CD. I always found it curious that the concert occured in Los Angeles at the Greek Theatre, but the album was released in England and Japan and NOT the United States. Longtime A&M Engineer Larry Levine is listed as one of the producers of the album.

Harry
NP: radio at work

As I think I've posted here previously, "In Concert" was scheduled for US release for a short time, as I pre-ordered it after having seen it listed in Phonolog (anyone remember Phonolog):rolleyes:? It was titled "Live at the Greek Theater" or maybe "Live at the Greek Carnival" (hence my alternate title above) and the SP number was something like 4378 (yes, it's scary when you can remember stuff like that 30 odd years later). The LP never came from my pre-order, and by the time the next update of Phonolog came out, it was missing in action from the Sergio listings. Shortly thereafter "Love Music" appeared and I was left to wonder for many years what had happened to this "lost" treasure from A&M. It wasn't until shortly after I discovered this site and hooked up with Steve Sidoruk that I found out the LP existed, and I had my own copy shortly thereafter.

Unlike Jeff, I never knew the album existed (nor EXPO, either) until discovering this site in 1997. It was an exciting time when people like myself connected with others learning of these rare titles that weren't released here. Patience (and friendships) paid off allowing me to obtain thirty-year-old albums and listen to them all those years later.

I consider my education to still be taking place as just this week, we've learned of "something extra" on a Carpenters 8-track. Who knew?!

Harry
...still in student mode, online...

Same here. I had never heard of HORIZONTE ABERTO, or those live albums, or Herb's rarities, etc etc etc until I stumbled upon this site....I typed "Sergio Mendes" into a search one night and there it was, A&M Corner. I think I wandered in just as Neil was getting ready to launch the previous bulletin board. Like many others have said, I was convinced I was the only person in the United States to still be listening to stuff like PRIMAL ROOTS 20+ years after the fact.

Now I'm just wondering....will LOVE MUSIC and VINTAGE 74 ever come out on CD?

Mike Blakesley said:
Now I'm just wondering....will LOVE MUSIC and VINTAGE 74 ever come out on CD?

Buddah has been reissuing the 5th Dimension Bell releases, and I've emailed them (repeatedly--too much time on my hands!) about releasing the Sergio's. Hopefully, they'll be out some day, maybe with the bonus Bell single that never made it onto an album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom