🎄 Holidays! [Live] Part 2: Merry Christmas Darling + Banter w/Brucie 1978 - December, 1978

Thank you so much for the Christmas treats, Chris!! Love seeing and hearing these in great quality. What a treasure!

I like the liberty she takes in this performance. It has the emotional tie of the 1970 version mixed with the sweetness of the 1978 version, with orchestration clarity. Very meaningful and beautiful. This is definitely a time where she had IT! - to paraphrase a Herb Alpert comment in reference to Karen’s voice. I feel Karen was a true performer who brings strength from audience support and lifts the notes right off the page into a musical paradigm of universal pleasure. The same perfection is in the studio with more structure, but live has more freedom.

Such a joy to watch these and thanks so much Chris for posting! Karen seems to be so joyful herself performing live in these clips. I hate to say this, but one has to wonder whether this reflects her enjoying freedom away from Richard with him being absent. Sorry!

THANK YOU, Chris! No one did a song like Karen did. She continues to impress me. Is it true she did Postman and I Need to Be in Love on the show as well?

What amazes me about these tracks is the lengths to which they went to re-record everything - orchestra and all - just for this one TV appearance. Most of the songs they performed had cold endings anyway so they could quite easily have used the original studio tracks.

A flawless performance, Karen has this ability to make the audience believe that she is effortlessly cruising with her amazing vocal style, but it’s intricate and carefully crafted without losing any of the emotion, gives me goosebumps.

Chris, I have a question. When Karen is singing here, do you think she is hearing what we are hearing? in other words is she hearing herself on some monitor speakers because it doesn't look like she has any earpieces in her ears. I mean I know when she looks over at the solo she is obviously hearing that but does she hear her own voice coming over the mic?

Chris, I have a question. When Karen is singing here, do you think she is hearing what we are hearing? in other words is she hearing herself on some monitor speakers because it doesn't look like she has any earpieces in her ears. I mean I know when she looks over at the solo she is obviously hearing that but does she hear her own voice coming over the mic?

As far as I've been able to piece together, much of the performance was pre-recorded, and she is hearing and singing along to that that, also hearing her live vocal through monitors.

I mean I know when she looks over at the solo she is obviously hearing that but does she hear her own voice coming over the mic?

The monitors would always include her vocals, if a singer can’t hear their own voice there’s a danger they’d end up singing out of tune and out of time.

Back
Top Bottom