🎄 Holidays! [Live] Part 4: Christmas Medley w/Karen & Bruce 1978 - December, 1978

Chris, what does the date refer to and is that Nov 12, 1978 or Dec 11, 1978. When it's written in numbers sometimes they can get reversed. I thought that this episode aired on Dec 24, 1978 on his show.

Also is that 5 takes they did for Postman and the 5th one was the master they used?

Cool stuff!!

Last edited:
Chris, what does the date refer to and is that Nov 12, 1978 or Dec 11, 1978. When it's written in numbers sometimes they can get reversed. I thought that this episode aired on Dec 24, 1978 on his show.

Also is that 5 takes they did for Postman and the 5th one was the master they used?

Cool stuff!!

It was actually 12.11.78 that they did this, and when you see that written on the legend it simply means that they did (5) different passes at it, and the fifth is the take that they build the rest of the final master around, with the previous takes being outtakes if you will. :)

back in the early days, Richard stated that even if they were lip syncing for a performance, he and Karen were singing full out, I guess into dead mics

It was actually 12.11.78 that they did this, and when you see that written on the legend it simply means that they did (5) different passes at it, and the fifth is the take that they build the rest of the final master around, with the previous takes being outtakes if you will. :)

Do we know where these takes were recorded? Was it in LA with Richard or in London with Peter Knight? Fascinating stuff!

I think it is fascinating for the tv program is a gem in its own right. Not only did Karen command a strong presence in the performanccs but her banter in the show held it together. A side rarely seen, Karen is seen front and center and delivers in great style as the star yet seems to share any credit with those surrounding her. I wish the entire show was available for purchase with all of Chris’ notes as a bonus feature. All the work rubs together into a bright gem.

Would LWT have contacted Carpenters management with an offer to appear on TV with Bruce? Also something I found interesting on the photo of the track sheet, was that instead of Carpenters being listed, it just states Karen Carpenter.

I'm going to put Merry Christmas, Darling up there later on with some of the additional dialogue. This stuff is just too good not to (some of her best "live" interpretations ever I've always said). Since it's being sourced from the originals, it will still look better than the stuff folks have ripped from years past.

Wow. Watching that for the first time was amazing - both Karen and Bruce looked like they were having a great time. Amazing, amazing vocals by Karen here, and I too thought I was listening to her on a pre-recorded track, don't think i've ever heard her in better voice. Christmas has officially started with that Brucie Bonus. Thank you for sharing it.

Wow. Watching that for the first time was amazing - both Karen and Bruce looked like they were having a great time. Amazing, amazing vocals by Karen here, and I too thought I was listening to her on a pre-recorded track, don't think i've ever heard her in better voice. Christmas has officially started with that Brucie Bonus. Thank you for sharing it.

More to come! :)

Wonderful performance. I'm just a little disappointed that Karen didn't go for the low note at the end of, "There's never been such a day, in Beverly Hills, LA."

Wonderful to listen to, especially at this time of year. Man, what a voice. It seems so effortless, too - what a gift she had, that we all got to share for a time.

This video was stunning. Thank you so much, Chris. It was like Karen was singing right to me...if only she could see the smile on my face while watching her.

Now I'm ready to pull out the Christmas Memories DVD and catch an airing of the Perry Como Christmas Show. :D :santawave:

Brilliant stuff, Chris. Thanks so much.

It's great to piece these things together. So these tracks were laid down on Dec 11th at the Music Centre in Middlesex, U.K. and the next day she sent the postcard to Richard saying "The Music end is tops. Miss you-Love KAC1"

I wonder if she visited the musicians up in the Middlesex studio (about 45 minutes north of London). No reason for her to be there, but she was a perfectionist and maybe would have thought it a nice gesture to make an appearance.

Gotta say the specifics of this hybrid "live" performance is hard to grasp. So what we hear on, for e.g. MCD... is part 1970 original, part 1978 British studio Dec 11th recording and part live music from the band on stage on the show? Is that close enough?

Cheers again,

Neil

One question I have - if Karen didn’t have the in ear monitor to reference the click, how did the musicians hear it and stick with it, because I don’t see them wearing any either?

P.S. These pictures of the tapes are a revelation, thank you so much for posting Chris. My heart skipped a beat when I started reading your posts!

The more I study the performance, the more I'm actually convinced that the band was not playing live either. I think the whole thing, less Karen's lead of course was actually recorded ahead of time and the guys were simply on stage to give the impression it was happening live. I don't doubt that the studio takes were done live, so essentially it's the same thing. Except by doing multiple passes, they ensure the best performance while still maintaining the authenticity of this group of guys backing Karen together.

The more I study the performance, the more I'm actually convinced that the band was not playing live either. I think the whole thing, less Karen's lead of course was actually recorded ahead of time and the guys were simply on stage to give the impression it was happening live. I don't doubt that the studio takes were done live, so essentially it's the same thing. Except by doing multiple passes, they ensure the best performance while still maintaining the authenticity of this group of guys backing Karen together.

Given their perfectionism and the fact that this type of seasonal, nationally-broadcast show would have been garnering somewhere in the region of 15-20m viewers back in 1978, I think this is a distinct possibility.

THANK YOU, Chris!
What a fantastic early Christmas gift. This performance truly captures the marvelous talent, warmth and spirit of Karen. It’s officially been added to my ‘must see TV’ at Christmastime.

Bob

WO
A very special thanks to our folks here at A&M Corner for a wonderful year of participation and insight! Enjoy this special treat all the way from the UK, as Karen and Sir Bruce kick off the Christmas season. Enjoy!

WOW! Just when you think you've seen everything! Thanks so much, Chris - for this beautiful addition to my holiday viewing! :) Happy Christmas, indeed!

Thanks a million Chris for the clips especially this one I haven't seen much.
Christmas tv 1978 in the UK was good. Bruce's show with Karen on Christmas eve and then the Mike Yarwood show on Christmas day with ABBA as guests.
1978 was a busy year for Carpenters it seems.

Darren.

If the entire performance--band included--was not Live,
then, remind me why it was that Richard Carpenter could not be there ?

Back
Top Bottom