Live Q&A?

Would you participate in a live Q&A?

• Yes

Votes: 32 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
My vote is for it to be done live. If those that live on the other side of the Atlantic and Pacific are *real* fans, they would have no problems participating no matter what hour of the day or night this happens...International Date Line and Prime Meridian be dammed. 21st Century technology can make this happen!

For these purposes, I'd go for second option. With the nature of live chats, the text moves so fast and both the audience and talent/guests can feel a bit discombobulated by that. I think the subject matter deserves a bit more of a controlled, slower pacing for questions.

I'm still hanging on a hope for Rich to expand on his experiences working on the Time album, and stories/memories working with Veronique and Akiko Kobayashi. Things like that, that haven't really been touched upon before. If there are questions whizzing by, then he has the chance to not really answer the questions or feel rushed.

I wouldn't want him to feel like that because I would like you guys to pick his brain. Lol
I want to hear about the 80s stuff because there are gaps there, and I don't think he ever really talked much about his solo career. I think now would be a good opportunity to talk about those experiences. Even the remixing in the 90s and early 2000s.

There's still more to talk about and expand on rather than hit similar talking points.

Really I'm interested in things like an updated response to his thoughts about the changes in the music industry too. The way songs are composed, written, arranged, produced now. If he could talk more about it from his perspective, and offer thoughts on some of the changes in technology, and things he might like to see in the industry.

Kind of like how Abba recently discussed some of those differences. I know he'd say something to the effect of how it is a manufactured sound and more of the Idol/The Voice packaging.
I wonder if there's more insights Rich could talk about on those points since digitization took place. Perhaps he feels the same on how there's a sense of modern music that doesn't make sense the same way as it used to.

Again I don't think there can be much of an expansion of thought with time constraints. I'd prefer expansion rather than the chance for a constricted presentation. But see what you guys can do. I'm sure it'll be good regardless. :)

The second one might be better. In that case, what’s up with “B’Wana She No Home” being in stereo on the original LP & 45’s from the 70’s to 90’s, but being in mono on all the CD & digital releases.

Also, will he ever release his versions of “Toyland” and “Home for the Holidays”?

Finally circling back to this, as I've had a rather busy few weeks! There are a couple of ways we can do this.

My initial idea was to set up a scheduled, live YouTube broadcast where folks can submit questions via chat that can be answered live by either myself, or both me and my co-author, Mike.

OR, given the challenge with trying to coordinate a time with the various time zones, you guys can post a series of questions here on this thread, and I can make several small videos that address a few questions at a time.

Thoughts?
Thanks for these ideas, Chris.

I think the second option might be better.

If you all would like to submit your questions—particularly those pertaining to the process in writing the book, I'm happy to create some video segments addressing your questions. If you have questions that do not directly relate to the book, I'm happy to answer and give you Richard's take, provided he and I have had conversation about a particular subject or topic.

I’d like to hear Richard talk about his song selection for A Kind of Hush.
Given there are hours of archived audiotapes that we gathered for the book, there are likely segments where Richard is talking about things that we never specifically detailed.

In my Q&A video responses, I'll try and incorporate some of those soundbites, as well as any clips from the TalkShopLIve appearance we all made together back in September, if there happened to be dialog related to any given question posted here.

Hi, all!

I get quite a few questions on the regular about details related to the Carpenters—both on the music as well as the production side. Now that the book has been released, I'm trying to determine whether or not there would be enough interest in me setting up a live Q&A on either YouTube or Zoom, where you can ask these kinds of questions, and/or even questions related to the creation of Carpenters: The Musical Legacy.

For as much as we addressed in the book, there was plenty that we either had no time, or space to include, so I thought I'd throw the idea out there.
Definitely Chris. Just nearing the end of the book and it’s a masterpiece 👏👏

I'll start off with 3 questions

1. Will richard ever consider re releasing the sacd?

2. Will he be open to making another sacd for the fans who would have liked to hear other songs in surround even though its an outdated format?

3. Would there ever be a consideration for special editions of the carpenters catalog. Like an expanded version of their albums with demos of their songs. Or a second part to the karaoke cd?

As most everyone has opted for me taking their written questions and answering them on video periodically, what are some of your questions?
A perceived contradiction in recollection/stories:

1. Herb Alpert has stated in the past that upon hearing Karen's voice on the demo tape, it sounded as if "she was sitting in" his "lap;" however, we learn that,
2. Herb Alpert is also said to have been surprised that Karen even sang asking her "you sing, too?" upon hearing some finished recordings from Offering.

Which is it? Did he know she could sing from first listen of the demo tape or discovered that later after A&M signed them. Or, if it's both, how is it explained?

Would love to hear the story of the very first recording session at A&M. I remember Karen saying something about the control room being packed to the hilt with friends and relatives. Was the very first track recorded ‘Ticket To Ride’?

I would like to hear more from Richard on the recording of Hush, Passage & Portrait ... and is there anything currently moving with the new CP edition :)

Here's what I said in Post #498 in the "Legacy" thread:

The chapter on Karen Carpenter is far too short - and very disappointing.

Since this is a book geared predominately toward a detailed discussion of the Carpenters' musical legacy this chapter should have dwelt at length and in depth on her development as a world class singer and as a highly accomplished drummer, i.e., the history of all of the factors and influences that led to the ultimate creation of the woman many consider to have musical talent that was "mind boggling" and "off the charts"...

The brief, cursory summary of her battle with anorexia should have been relegated to another appendix at the back of the book, and then only for the sake of newbies unfamiliar with this inexplicable tragedy.

Would you please address whether you might consider revising and expanding this chapter to talk much more about her development as a vocal and instrumental artist - and to place any brief discussion of her "health problems" (and Richard's) in a separate appendix at the end of the book?

Back
Top Bottom