Live songs.... That never were

Simon KC1950

Listening to some songs and I wonder why they were never performed live in any of their concerts?

There were hits they never performed like "It's Going To Take Some Time", "Solitaire" and "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song" but then there's also strong album tracks that were never performed live: "Let Me Be The One", "A Song For You", "This Masquerade"... Ect.

I wonder why songs like this were left out? Are there any songs you would have liked to hear live?

I wasn’t around when they were performing live, but I thought they would’ve sang AYGFLIALS in concert as it was the lead single from “Passage”. It might’ve been heard by more people and gotten more radio play or at least sales and might’ve led to a higher chart listing.

Considering Occupants needed an orchestra, I don’t see them performing that live.

Q. On the song SOLITAIRE, (a) which I feel is Karen’s crowning vocal achievement, how come she didn’t like it? And (b) did you ever sing this song in concert? Summer of 1975?

A. (a) Karen never put it into words. (b) No.

Carpenters Fans Ask-Richard Answers Archive

Newvillefan posted this last November in Cam89's thread Bless the Beasts...Academy Awards TV Appearance. Apparently she was not fond of the song for reasons we shall never know.

A good one could have been happy with karen on drums i can just imagine it. Or i can't make music imagine the ending of that song live with karen doing her backing vocals during it.

I was delighted to see ONLY YESTERDAY done LIVE in Japan I think in 1976....she sounded gorgeous!!

Newvillefan posted this last November in Cam89's thread Bless the Beasts...Academy Awards TV Appearance. Apparently she was not fond of the song for reasons we shall never know.

Copy/pasting a post I made in 2014.

Here's what Karen had to say about "Solitaire" in a 1978 interview with Gary Theroux, featured in the liner notes of "Reader's Digest Music: Carpenters, Their Greatest Hits and Finest Performances":

"It was a good record but never did. . . . For some strange reason, [Richard] loves it, the vocal performance. I liked it too, but somehow it drags for me. I don't know."

Back
Top Bottom