Lonely Bull Gatefold DOL

TjbBmb

I came across a Lonely Bull gatefold new lp by a company in the UK called DOL. Has anyone seen this before?

A lot of these companies like Wax Time and others I can’t think of have been releasing new vinyl from digital files at a low quality. I have one other DOL album, Miles Davis at Carnegie Hall. The sound is ok.

I’m not sure if these releases are legal.

I forgot to mention there are several bonus tracks from VOL. 2 that appear on each side.

They are legal because of UK copyright rules. They are not authorized, however.

Unauthorized and as you say, sound quality can be variable. The way copyright works overseas, they could take any existing version and cut their own vinyl reissue and be within the law. Thing is, we don't know what versions they could use. Anything from off-the-shelf CD version from years past to the most recent remasters are fair game for them. Even a needle drop from an old LP!

I try to help out by not supporting those grey-area labels. I unknowingly bought a Nat King Cole reissue on Wax Time--it sounds OK (they may have made it from the Analogue Productions remaster) but it's not exactly legit either.

Right. This is a similar situation to television episodes or movies that have fallen into Public Domain. Anyone with any crappy print of these can put out a DVD or Blu-ray legally. And it even affects streaming. I can go on Amazon Prime and look for an old Edward G. Robinson film called SCARLET STREET. It's out of copyright and they have a copy to stream, but it's a horrible print and not anything I'd want to watch.

I will never buy another lp again that doesn’t tell you who remastered it. I’ve got burned many times in the past when I didn’t know any better.

But, I just had to see what was in the gatefold of this particular one. Nothing much. Just a crappy picture and graphics that say Lonely Bull...but the sound is actually decent.

There are a lot of small labels putting out reissues nowadays, and it can sometimes be confusing knowing which are legit because of the slick packaging on a lot of the PD releases. A sure way to know if a reissue is legit is to read the small print on the back cover - authorized reissues ALWAYS have something about the licensing included in the small print.

I'm not much a fan of these digitally-extracted-stereo recordings that some fans and collectors dabble in, but it appears that Herb's "The Lonely Bull" got that treatment on a HARD TO FIND compilation. There's a long sample posted too.

It's got the crowd noises separated but largely left; the drums appear left; Herb's trumpet is centered, and the bass/guitar is on the right. - So fairly authentic in the mix, but there's still something phony-sounding about it to me.

1642251441133.png

Back
Top Bottom