Look Around – Critique and Discussion

Which selection best characterizes the group's music at this point (late '67)

• With A Little Help from My Friends

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Roda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like A Lover

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • The Frog

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Tristeza

• The Look Of Love

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Pradizer Adeus

• Batucada

• So Many Stars

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Look Around

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Blakesley said:
some of Lani's English lyrics are very close approximations to their Portuguese originals, notably To Say Goodbye
Probably true; but my point was that she does not know Portuguese and didn't translate the lyrics. It's possible that when she went to write her lyrics, the original author(s) of the songs translated theirs for her and she chose whether to create completely new lyrics, or "adapted" the originals to English (rhyme, meter and so on).

Lani learned Portuguese over the years, I have it on the best authority. :wink:

Murray said:
...My favorite on the album is definitely "Like A Lover", followed closely by "So Many Stars". However, I voted for the title track as being the definitive one, it's just a perfect blend of Brazilian and California pop. My least favorite track is "The Look Of Love". Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just think that ANY version pales in comparison to Dusty Springfield's.

Excellent musical taste there!

Dave said:
What says "Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66" better than "Like A Lover"...? There is so far, to my knowledge nobody else who has covered this song, and if so, the Sergio Mendes Version he/she/they cannot touch!!!Dave

Maureen McGovern had a CD, 'The Music Never Ends: The Lyrics of Alan & Marilyn (A&M!) Bergman, which includes 'Like A Lover'. Other noteworthy are 'It Might Be You' (Tootsie), The Windmills Of Your Mind' (Thomas Crown Affair), The Summer Knows (Summer Of '42) and 'The Way We Were' (Ditto). Wasn't aware that the Bergmans wrote the lyrics for several of these before, and of course her LAL can't compare with Lani's......

"When Your Loved (from THE PROMISE)" which was sung by Debby Boone was also penned by the Bergmans... And so were the lyrics for "Theme from THE GETAWAY", which was also an Instrumental track, with the music written and both versions recorded by Quincy Jones...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom