Look To Your Dreams-Single

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Again this may not be new news for everyone but I have this single Make Believe It's Your First Time with pic sleeve and the flip side is Look to Your Dreams.

The single 45 of Look to Your Dreams clocks in at 4:28. However after listening to this for the first time on my turntable I realized that the ending is different than the CD version on Voice Of the Heart.

So I went to my VOTH CD & on the back it says the song is 4:28 also (this is wrong time) but I said it can't be...so I played it and it actually clocks in at 5:10 on the CD, there is an added piano ending on the CD version but Not on the 45 single.

Could the added piano ending have been added later, after the 45 went to press? Could Karen have possibly never heard that ending piano?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Could the added piano ending have been added later, after the 45 went to press? Could Karen have possibly never heard that ending piano?

I asked Evelyn (of the fan club) about that track, and she told me that Richard recorded the piano ending in 1983, when he was working on the VOTH album. At the time, he intended for this to be the "final" Carpenters album, and his solo at the end of the album was a symbolic way of saying that "Karen is gone, and now I'm left to carry on alone". A most effective, and very emotional way to end the album.

Murray

I believe this single version of Look to your dreams is one of those tracks that have been unavailable on cd.
This single of Japanese press was just culled from the album along with Make believe, from which they managed to cut off Karen's mumbling words but left that flapping sound somehow.
Since Make believe is now available on cd but the other is not,
I think it's better for the fans to have this single until you get it on cd.

Richard have used this album version of LTYD but I hope someday he'll
choose that single version perhaps for singles collection release.

On Make Believe, The flap is not on the single 45 but it is on the Cd version on VOTH.

That flap always annoyed me, what is it anyway? I always thought it was Karen clapping her hands together in a jesture like ok lets get serious now & get this recording going. I like hearing the single without the flapping noise, it seems cleaner to me. But my favorite version of Make Believe is from the SOLO Album.

About, Look to you dreams. I do like the piano ending Richard added to the cd version. It just another one of those things that if something is any different from the CD I want to hear it & more importantly I want it in my collection, hence the 45.

You all listen to the way the 45 single of Look to Your Dreams fades out at the end, it kinda quick & seems to drop off rather suddenly, almost like Richard really wanted to add something to it. Do U hear it?

Let ask you which expression you like.

You see, if you look at the words on the inner sleeve, it says
"To say I'm old-fashioned"
while Karen actually sings
"To say I'm romantic"

Which one do you prefer?

I'm not sure if Karen really tried both during the recording session
but if she had done it, I would love to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom