LOST TREASURES CD Cover Art and Song Listing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plucky87

ShoutFactory.com has shown the upcoming cover art for The Lonely Bull, South Of The Border, and Lost Treasures in their Upcoming section! Here is a song list for Lost Treasures:

1. Up Cherry Street
2. Lazy Day
3. Wailing Of The Willow
4. Fire And Rain
5. And I Love Her
6. I Can’t Go On Living, Baby, Without You
7. (They Long To Be) Close To You
8. Promises Promises
9. Happy Hour
10. Julius And Me
11. I Might Frighten Her Away
12. Alone Again (Naturally)
13. Tennessee Waltz
14. Tradewinds
15. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
16. Flowers On The Wall
17. Popcorn
18. Chris
19. Killing Me Softly
20. I’ll Never Fall In Love Again
21. Speakeasy
22. Whistlestar

[Thread title edited for clarity. - Moderator]

herb_lonelybull_cd.jpg

herb_southborder_cd.jpg

herb_tijuana_cd.jpg

Source: ShoutFactory.com

"Flowers On The Wall"??? WILD!! :D

I noticed five tracks from the YOU SMILE--THE SONG BEGINS album on the new CD. Interesting! I'm hoping these aren't a sign that the album itself won't be released...however, I did have an idea. These could end up being alternate versions, perhaps from a year or two earlier, which never got released. OR, there's a slim chance they could be live versions from the TJB tour that year (which I saw). The "Lost Treasures" CD I'm really looking forward to--thanks for posting the listing!

There was some discussion a while back about whether the new releases would exactly duplicate the original cover art, down to the classic A&M logo. It looks as though the art is preserved, but the logo isn't--understandable, since these aren't "A&M" releases. The cover photo for Lost Treasures is quite nice.

The lineup for LT is certainly a mixed bag, to say the least. Like Rudy, I'm hopeful that the tunes from YS-TSB are either alternate or live takes. (Given that these are all "lost treasures," what else could they be?) I'm especially curious about "Julius and Me"--a Julius Wechter song, perhaps, featuring Julius?

Boy o boy!
Mike A

Rudy said:
"I noticed five tracks from the YOU SMILE--THE SONG BEGINS album on the new CD. Interesting! I'm hoping these aren't a sign that the album itself won't be released...however, I did have an idea. These could end up being alternate versions, perhaps from a year or two earlier, which never got released.

That's what I'm thinking too. Perhaps at the 'end' of the traditional TjB's heyday, these songs were recorded but never released. Since we know of Herb's problems with the trumpet back then, maybe these are among the tracks with re-recorded lead trumpet parts.

Then when the T.J.B. was re-formed for YOU SMILE - THE SONG BEGINS, these songs were already favorites of Herb's even though he might not have liked the earlier recordings, so they just re-did them.

Even if these happen to be the YOU SMILE versions, it'll still be their first time on CD!

Harry
...tossing out ideas, online...

Gee, "Whistlestar" and "Fire And Rain" are there. So where's "El Bimbo"?

Harry
...asking the tough questions, online...

Perhaps "El Bimbo" will appear as a bonus track on "Coney Island". That's one variation from the original that I wouldn't mind. It's too good a track to leave in the vaults.

David,
Hoping Herb and Shout Factory see this.........

For that matter, where's "Mexican Drummer Man"?

Hmmm?

Harry

I e-mailed Shout Factory for the exact release date of WC&OD...here is what I got from [email protected]:

"As of now, the date for "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" is listed as April
5, 2005.

Enjoy!"

Yay! Can't Wait :D

Mexican Drummer Man & El Bimbo will likely reappear since they haven't been the only things held off for the time being....like Volume 2.

This is all so incredibly exciting.
I can`t wait to start pre-ordering - bring on “Warm”.

Plucky87 said:
Mexican Drummer Man & El Bimbo will likely reappear since they haven't been the only things held off for the time being....like Volume 2.

LOST TREASURES VOLUME 2?

We can only hope!

Harry

I don't want to do TOO much wishful thinking, but would a second volume of "Lost Treasures" be a possibility? Or, could "El Bimbo" be an alternate title of one of the unknown tracks on this new one?

We'll have to wait until February to find out!

Harry said:
Plucky87 said:

LOST TREASURES VOLUME 2?

We can only hope!

Harry

I think Plucky was referring to "Volume 2" the TJB album. But yeah, definitely, as I said above...a second "Lost Treasures" would be muy bueno. :)

Yep, I knew that Plucky was referring to the out-of-order releasing schedule and that the album VOLUME 2 hasn't been announced yet. And after re-reading my own post, one might interpret it as possibly my own misinterpretation of Plucky's post.

Still, a second volume of rarities and b-sides, maybe mono mixes would be a hoot.

Harry

Dang! I just checked the Shout website yesterday and this info wasn't there yet. Should've checked early this morning I guess! :)

Sure will be interesting to find out the recording dates for these tracks. I also really like the cover art. (What does it say near the bottom?)

Still on the subject of the cover art...that's a great spine strip they've got on the series package. Herb's signature and the trumpet! Perfect. I'm already starting to feel like 1965 all over again.

Mike A.

I look at songs like "Flowers On The Wall" and "Tennessee Waltz" and ask WHY??? At first glance I kind of shudder just thinking of those tunes. But I do remember when Chet Baker did his Mariachi Brass and he did "Flowers". Not that it was good, but he did record it. I guess we'll know for sure in 6 weeks. I'm also curious about "Julius and Me" - maybe a duet of some kind?

Looks like it's going to be a digi-pak kind of thing as well.

Capt. Bacardi

Plucky87 said:
17. Popcorn

I wonder if Popcorn was a discarded song from Whipped Cream & Other Delights?..since the album was filled with food titled songs.

Walter Wanderley and Luiz Henrique had a CD together called "Popcorn". I haven't played it in awhile, but it very well could be the same song. That's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the song title.

Maybe a stupid question, but seeing as songs from the YS-TSB era appear on Lost Treasures, could "Popcorn" possibly be an Alpert version of same title by Hot Butter? (1972)

Jon

Jon,that's not a stupid question at all. My money would be on that song. I can hear an uptempo version arrangement in my head,forgoing the "pop pop pop " beat of the original. Slowing it down doesn't work for me,so I think Herb would have sped it up. Remember that these "treasures" were discarded from album status for one reason or another and while not sounding like the most original idea,I could have seen Herb breathe some life in this,a la "If You Could Read My Mind" or "Darlin'"-two covers that are OK but not showstoppers. Speculation,while not reading too much into these tea leaves,is part of the fun till Febuary's release. Mac

Reviewing the list again,I see that "Wailing of the Willow" must be the Harry Nilsson song(didn't Judith Durham do that on an A&M release?)."Flowers on the Wall" has gotta be the Statler Bros. novelty. Another Beatles' cover with "And I Love Her". Five Bacharach's-I'm not surprised. Can't wait-Brian Wilson's SMILE and vault material from the TJB in a six month period-hey,is LBJ gonna win that second term,or what? Maybe gasoline will be 29.9 cents a gallon next year. Mac

I'm with 'ya Mac!! Another one I can't wait to hear is "Lazy Day" -- one of those '60s 'feel-good' songs. I really wish he'd recorded (and heck...maybe he did!!) "Happy Together" -- another favorite of mine.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom