LOST TREASURES CD Cover Art and Song Listing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry 'extra extra' hairy said:
...with probably too many 'extras' in that post, online...

Nah! When it comes to HErb you can't have too many "extras!!!"

--Mr Bill
who's 'extra' excited about the upcoming reissues with or without extra material...

David Kirkpatrick said:
As someone else suggested "Popcorn" might be a lost Whipped Cream track rather than the pop-ular 70's instrumental.

Nope. If you listened to the new song samples at the Shout! Factory site you'll see that it IS the 70's tune.

Capt. Bacardi

Here's a list of the LOST TREASURES tracks with running times, courtesy of Alliance Entertainment.

Total time on the CD is 59:56.

1.Up Cherry Street - 2:35
2.Lazy Day - 2:56
3.Wailing of the Willow - 2:52
4.Fire and Rain - 2:44
5.And I Love Her - 2:47
6.I Can't Go on Living, Baby, Without You - 2:38
7.(They Long to Be) Close to You - 2:22
8.Promises, Promises - 2:34
9.Happy Hour - 1:52
10.Julius and Me - 1:32
11.I Might Frighten Her Away - 4:14
12.Alone Again (Naturally) - 2:14
13.Tennessee Waltz - 2:33
14.Tradewinds - 3:03
15.Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head - 2:02
16.Flowers on the Wall - 2:06
17.Popcorn - 3:45
18.Chris - 2:33
19.Killing Me Softly - 3:59
20.I'll Never Fall in Love Again - 3:18
21.Speakeasy - 1:51
22.Whistlestar - 3:26

Has anyone listened to the clips from the songs that are provided by Amazon.com? Every song is a new version at least to some extent. The different mixes are evident on the YSTSB tracks even though they are the most familiar. Some I have taken an instant liking to, others will take some work (i.e. Close to You). What are your first impressions.

Jay Hughes
(Back after a long hiatus)

Here is Shout Factory's Information on Volume 2 in an email responce:

"There are currently no plans of releasing "Volume 2." I'm afraid I have no explanation at this time. Sorry."

Fingers crossed for 2006...only hope :cry:

Then I suggest everyone on this forum and anyone you know that's interested in VOLUME 2 e-mail Shout Factory individually requesting that they release it. I don't know why Herb would delete it from this reissue program especially since it stayed in print on LP a lot longer than some of the titles that are being reissued and was part of the first reissue project. However, if we all voice our concerns, they'll get the message. This is the time, folks. Once these reissues are done, I don't forsee anything else happening on the TJB front. So let's make sure the powers that be know that WE WANT VOLUME 2!

David,
who will definitely e-mail Shout Factory diplomatically..........

herbie sez "there were some nice songs, but something didn't work on there. i didn't like the sound of the record. it didn't feel real natural to me."

doesn't sound like he likes it much.

herb is sounding more and more to me like brian wilson somehow. descriptions of music in simplistic, down to earth terms.

I don't get it. It worked for me and millions of other TJB fans. That really should be all the motivation an artist needs to make his work available. The fact that the public wants it. If Herb doesn't feel that VOLUME 2 was his best effort for some reason, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including the artist. But don't deprive your fans of the work just because it wasn't your favorite. A&M sold every copy they printed of that album for roughly 30 years, not counting the first CD reissue. Obviously it is substantial part of the TJB collection. May not be everyone's favorite, It isn't my favorite either. But I still love the album and will buy it if they reissue it as I know many others will. Herb and Randy read our forums and they know that there is demand and love for ALL of the TJB records. So to do a reissue project of this magnitude and then say, oh we'll just delete this one cause it didn't click with me doesn't make sense. For me the fact that it's a departure from the sound of the later albums is part of its appeal, much like WARM. And I think it deserves to be reissued as much as any of the others.

David,
eating some comforting chocolate now.........

mmmm..... emailing shout! factory to request Volume 2 is a great idea - I tried a few weeks ago but my email was returned more or less straight away. I will try emailing them again - they just have to release that album, apart from anything else it's all part of TJB's history regardless of whether You like it or not.

Remember: the decision to release Volume 2 isn't up to the label...

True. But perhaps if Shout Factory gets enough mail about VOLUME 2, they'll make Herb aware of the demand for it. Perhaps for some reason, Herb doesn't think it will sell.

David,
grabbing at straws, online......

...and while we're at it ask for You Smile -- The Song Begins and Coney Island. Judging from the quoted comments on Lost Treasures it sounds like those two may also be forgotten in the "Signature Series." Of course that would mean Just You & Me would likely be skipped in a Solo Signature series, too. I for one can't imagine a CD series not including "Legend of The One-eyed Sailor," "Coney Island", "Fox Hunt", "Save The Sunlight", "Vento Bravo", "Promenade", "Musique", "Catfish" or "The Crave"

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
...and while we're at it ask for You Smile -- The Song Begins and Coney Island. Judging from the quoted comments on Lost Treasures it sounds like those two may also be forgotten in the "Signature Series." Of course that would mean Just You & Me would likely be skipped in a Solo Signature series, too. I for one can't imagine a CD series not including "Legend of The One-eyed Sailor," "Coney Island", "Fox Hunt", "Save The Sunlight", "Vento Bravo", "Promenade", "Musique", "Catfish" or "The Crave"

--Mr Bill

Bill

I absolutely agree. At the risk of getting shot, these three albums are more important to me than, say, SOTB. The inclusion of a number of versions of YSTSB tracks (although apparently not the album versions) makes me very nervous that they might not see the light of day.

But right now, I'm just looking forward to Lost Treasures!

Stephen

I think people are overblowing this. Here we are about to get a huge TJB catalog reissued, and people are whining about how one album isn't in the plans to be released at this moment. I think you all need to chill, enjoy what's about to come out and be happy that you're getting this much. You never know, Herb may see how successful the rest of the series is and release Volume 2 at a later date. Things change, you know. :rolleyes:

Capt. Bacardi
...embarrassed for some people online... :confused:

Captain Bacardi said:
I think people are overblowing this. Here we are about to get a huge TJB catalog reissued, and people are whining about how one album isn't in the plans to be released at this moment. I think you all need to chill, enjoy what's about to come out and be happy that you're getting this much. You never know, Herb may see how successful the rest of the series is and release Volume 2 at a later date. Things change, you know. :rolleyes:

Capt. Bacardi
...embarrassed for some people online... :confused:

I agree...

IMO, other than the Lost Treasures material, it looks like the reissue project is generally covering the Tijuana Brass from the 1960s, when the sound and style was at its peak in popularity and mass audience appeal.

I'd suggest an experiment. Take any random sample of people who are old enough to remember Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, and the way in which the TJB sound and songs were an integral part of the pop music landscape from that decade. Ask them if they remember Lonely Bull, Spanish Flea, Tijuana Taxi, A Taste of Honey, Zorba the Greek, This Guy's in Love..., etc. Then ask those same people how many have heard any of the songs from the Coney Island or the You Smile albums. I think you'll find a big yes to the first question, and a big no to the second question - from the very same group of people.

What I am trying to suggest here is that when the TJB dropped off the charts at the end of the sixties, the mass audience for TJB music that carried the popularity of the sound to its peak moved on. IMO, by the time the You Smile album came out, the audience had largely forgotten the TJB. I'm going to speculate that even many TJB fans from the sixties no longer knew what Herb was doing or even that he was still doing any recording anymore at all by the time You Smile came out.

I'm very happy that the music that put the sound into orbit to begin with, and turned into the hugely successful sound that it did during the sixties is being reissued for my CD player. Now I can forget about trying to figure out what to do with all the vinyl albums.

Odd comment to make considering that the majority of the selections on LOST TREASURES comes from that 70's period that supposedly few people knew about. I think we're overspeculating here. The Capt. may be right about us jumping the gun in assuming these titles won't be released eventually, but I don't think anyone really knows why Herb may have chosen to release the albums in the order that he's doing.

David,
who knew YSTSB and CI were released the day the hit the shelves......

If anything's left out, it'll probably be considered later based purely on sales. So that means, BUY THOSE DISKS and encourage your friends to buy them!

Captain Bacardi is right though...no sense getting out of whack when the reissue program is just getting underway.

I was lucky - I found a CD copy of "Volume 2" quite a few years ago in a cutout rack in a store at the local mall. It's probably my least favorite of the albums that Herb and the TJB have made, but it should be available - because of it's previous longevity in print and the fact that the complete work of important artists should always be available. I wouldn't be without "Volume 2" and I think that "Winds of Barcelona" stands with the best work that Herb has ever done.

This is my first post. I am proud to be a participant here!

Captain Bacardi said:
I think people are overblowing this. Here we are about to get a huge TJB catalog reissued, and people are whining about how one album isn't in the plans to be released at this moment.

Indeed!

Where the heck were you people when VOLUME 2 was all over the CD racks back in the '90s? Back then, you'd wander into a store, find the 'Alpert' section and rifle through six copies of VOLUME 2, find maybe three other LONELY BULL's and a WHIPPED CREAM or two. They were everywhere back then. I couldn't understand how an under-rated album like VOLUME 2 got the CD treatment while gems like SOUNDS LIKE and NINTH went languishing in the vaults.

Harry
...happy that something, ANYTHING is coming from Herb, online...

I don't recall seeing 6 copies of ANY TJB CD from the first round of reissues, but I do have the first CD issue of VOLUME 2. I just wanted a remastered version as I thought there was some opportunity with the first reissue of V2. Also, it would be great to have one back cover on the outside of the disc and the other on the inside of the digipack. I think some are overblowing the intent of my earlier post. I am by no means suggesting that we bang Shout Factory's door down and behave like cavemen, I merely think that it wouldn't hurt to let them know that we want that title released as well. As Capt. Bacardi said, it may happen anyway down the road, but there's more chance if they know there's a demand for it.

David,
not meaning to sound like the head of a lynch mob........

Captain Bacardi said:
I think people are overblowing this. Here we are about to get a huge TJB catalog reissued, and people are whining about how one album isn't in the plans to be released at this moment.

We have to be realistic too--if they see that only a couple hundred music buyers have an interest in a title, the label OR Herb can see it makes no financial sense. Sure, I'd like to see it all reissued, but in this day and age, there are no guarantees for anything. Buy what's available and be grateful for it. :agree:

It's not like the music is going away--there's always the vinyl if some of the albums never get reissued on CD, and copies of these are plentiful in most of the used music shops I've been in.

hey folks!!!just bought LOST TREASURES and SOUTH OF THE BORDER today in brooklyn!!!i am sooo happy!! in the booklet there are rare and never before seen photos of herb and the brass(LT)pictures with herb and johnny carson(how timely!) fred astaire,the supremes,louie armstrong,etc. haven't heard it yet,as i am in a library writing this,but i know it will be gooood!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom