"Love Is Surrender" - tribute to Sergio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A&Mguyfromwayback

Industry Member
Hi - i'm visiting from the Sergio-house next door...
:D

I have a question, brought to mind by the discussion in Sergio land about the identifying features in Brasil 66 songs.....I've always assumed that the arrangement of the song "Love Is Surrender" is Richard Carpenter's little nod to Sergio - doesn't it start with him doing the little spoken countoff Sergio does on so many of his songs, and Richard sings with just a trace of an accent? Help me out on this....

I've never noticed the countoff--on the original album, the song seems to start immediately as "We've Only Just Begun" dies out. But since you mention it, Richard's verse is sung in the same range as Sergio's. I'd have to go listen again for the accent. :wink:

I've never noticed a countoff or an accent on "Love is Surrender," but the percussion and rhythm certainly could've been Brasil'66-inspired.

I have long thought that the Carpenters might have been influenced by Sergio's use of harmony on the song "Chove Chuva." Listen to the part where they sing, "and lonely in the ra-a-a-a-in," followed by the "ooooooo" background vocal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom