🎵 AotW Love That Music! - Various A&M Artists (A&M LTM1)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
LOVE THAT MUSIC!
Various A&M Artists
(A&M LTM1)

Promotion Only - Not For Sale or Airplay (P)1978 A&M Records, Inc.

LTM1.JPGLTM2.JPG

In honor of the upcoming Valentine's Day, this promotional album is a great fit for this particular "holiday". Released in 1978, but only as a promotional item, it featured love songs from a wide variety of A&M's then-current roster of artists. Curiously it's marked as not for sale or airplay - and I think it means "Don't play the album as a whole". Obviously it was sent to radio for individual song use.

I was reminded of this album a little less than a year ago by our @GDB2LV, but was already after Valentine's Day. So we'll make it a holiday Album Of The Week.

Anyone else own this little ditty?

Interesing that five of the eight tracks on Side 1 reference compilations and not the original albums.

I was lucky. A&M sent it to the local record store I was working at from 1977-1990. We got lots of promo albums there. The manager before me was the music director at a couple of Top 40 stations in town, so he had some of the music sent to the store. That way much of it got sampled on our turntable. That album only lasted a day or two, and then became part of my Carpenters collection though. Like I wrote before. It’s my favorite of the samplers. Great selection of songs for Valentines Day. Thanks Harry.

I know the Carpenters “ Close To You”, Nazareth “Hair of the Dog” and Captain & Tennille” Love Will Keep Us Together” we’re still in print then. The other original albums probably were too. A&M didn’t recall or take much out of print if they were popular, or had a major hit song on them. They did repackaged some titles though, with new catalogue numbers, and a cheaper list price after a few years.

The only album out of print might have been the TJB. However, if those are the albums A&M was promoting at the time, it makes sense that way. Although even Solid Brass was way past its prime at that point.

The surprising thing about the IN LOVE WITH A&M compilation is that it doesn't include any Herb Alpert music.

Charles

The surprising thing about the IN LOVE WITH A&M compilation is that it doesn't include any Herb Alpert music.

Charles
Not at all surprising - after Herb & Jerry left A&M and their lawsuit was pending, Herb didn't allow any of his music to be released. When matters were settled, Herb got all his & Lani's masters back and "Def Hits" was the last Herb A&M release.

Back
Top Bottom