"Mae" Is Featured On New Door Dash Commercial

And it's a perfect copy. Probably 55 years old and no defects. I recently bought a disc brush, the kind that looks like an old fashioned shaving cream brush, highly recommend!
Honestly, some of the new old stock sealed records have been in better condition than some of the recently-manufactured records I've purchased over the past decade. My "almost-prize" possession was the sealed Roger Nichols & The Small Circle of Friends LP I got for a good price...only, it was damaged while in storage over the years and has a "pinch" warp where the side of the record shrunk inward.

Having said that, the Herb Alpert Presents vinyl reissue of Going Places sounds really good as well...Randy did a great job with the restoration and Bernie Grundman's mastering has it sounding perfect.

Honestly, some of the new old stock sealed records have been in better condition than some of the recently-manufactured records I've purchased over the past decade. My "almost-prize" possession was the sealed Roger Nichols & The Small Circle of Friends LP I got for a good price...only, it was damaged while in storage over the years and has a "pinch" warp where the side of the record shrunk inward.

Having said that, the Herb Alpert Presents vinyl reissue of Going Places sounds really good as well...Randy did a great job with the restoration and Bernie Grundman's mastering has it sounding perfect.
The HAP Going Places LP is good sonically but the channels being reversed ruins it for me. I don't understand how they made such a blunder especially when they got it right on the CD.

In all my years listening to the TJB, I've never really paid attention to which channels were which. 😁

Back in the 60s, I think, there were a couple of components out there which had a "stereo reverse" setting (in addition to mono, stereo, etc.), which presumably swapped channels. That would come in handy!

In all my years listening to the TJB, I've never really paid attention to which channels were which. 😁

Back in the 60s, I think, there were a couple of components out there which had a "stereo reverse" setting (in addition to mono, stereo, etc.), which presumably swapped channels. That would come in handy!
On most records I probably wouldn't have noticed it either. But I've probably played Going Places more times than I've gone to the bathroom in my life. It's particularly noticeable on Tijuana Taxi. An avid listener knows the drums are on the left side and Julius's marimba is on the right. And it still puzzles me how they got it right on the CD and wrong on the record. And since this is probably the last release of GP that we'll see, I wanted it to be correct.

It definitely was an odd occurrence with the LP. It's not like Bernie would swap channels. A mastering studio like Grundman's churns out masters day after day from both analog and digital sources, and it's not like they would have deliberately swapped channels without instructions to do so.

I listened to the album many times in my life also, although the bulk of that album was burned into my DNA by listening to the mono version of it on our old Admiral console. Once my interests started expanding so much, I rarely listened to any of the old A&M albums since I didn't have much time to do it with so much other music coming into the house. So that could be why the left/right thing doesn't really stick with me.

From about SOUTH OF THE BORDER through THE BRASS ARE COMIN' the Tijuana Brass stereo set-up had drums or percussion in the left channel. There are a few variations starting with WARM. By SUMMERTIME, all sorts of setups were tried. Herb was almost always centered, of course.

I would agree with @thetijuanataxi that if I heard these songs reversed in stereo, I'd probably not enjoy it as much. It seems odd to me that the LP had the stereo reversed, but it's not an uncommon occurrence in recorded music. On our Carpenters Resource pages there are many examples of reversed stereo, and the ABBA world is riddled with them. But as I've argued with ABBA fans, in their case, it almost doesn't matter, as the stereo soundstage wasn't all that pronounced to begin with.

I always wondered how it would of sounded having Herb’s two trumpets separated right and left.
Listen to the song "Whipped Cream" - his trumpets are left/right, and everyone else is centered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom