Magical Memories Of The Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Back in 1993, Reader's Digest in the UK released a huge 5-disc Carpenters set called MAGICAL MEMORIES OF THE CARPENTERS.

CarpMagicalMemories.jpg

I've finally located a copy and have added it to our database at the Carpenters Recording Resource. It has several interesting points about it:

- At 5-discs, it's the second-biggest Carpenters compilation ever (85 tracks). Only Japan's SWEET MEMORY could be considered bigger.
- It contains some interesting tracks, including the remixed version of "I Can't Make Music" that only ever appeared on TREASURES in Japan before.
- It contains "Boat To Sail" which only saw release on one other comp, the aforementioned SWEET MEMORY.
- It's got the rarely anthologized "I Can Dream, Can't I?"
- It has the Live "Bacharach/David Medley" but eliminates the the opening chatter, starting right in with "Any Day Now"
- It has a unique version of the "Let Me Be The One" remix, starting cold rather than with the count-in, but includes the amusing break-down at the end.
- It's one of the comps that has "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" separated from its intro
- And it features the entire Side Two "Yesterday Once More/Oldies Medley/Reprise" as a single track.

The packaging is a fat jewel-case with a flip-out for discs One and Two, a thick plastic "page" for discs Three and Four, and a standard jewel-case insert for the final disc. Though the credits indicate that it was licensed from A&M Records, there is no A&M logo on it anywhere.

The booklet has seven pages of notes, basically a biography of Karen and Richard, and seven pages of pictures, plus the lengthy track listing.

It's a nice package - one I've been trying to track down at a decent price for a while now. It arrived yesterday, and I spent most of yesterday listening and categorizing all of the mixes present. Then today I spent entering the thing into our database and cross-referencing each of the tracks with the song database and the album databases.

As always, if anyone spots any errors, please let me know so I can correct it.

Harry

Yes, That's it. I recall when I received my copy, the cover/booklet had a tear in it, and I wrote in to ask them to replace the booklet - and they kindly sent two!

Bringing back an older topic. I saw this CD for sale on Ebay, it's got a few days, what a huge collection of songs. Like the Carpenters Complete Recording Resource says, it reminds me of the US Readers 3 CD version which I own.

It's so weird seeing that cover photo split up like that, I'm so use to it being together but it really does look nice separated, makes me think of 2 artists instead of just Carpenters if that makes sense.

http://carpenters.amcorner.com/album/magical-memories-of-the-carpenters

That's a great price currently for those 5 discs even if the case is not original.

Harry

That is an excellent price indeed. I was wondering since it has 5 CD's how are they cased in separate sleeves or is this in 1 jewel case?
**Edit: Oh I just re-read your post above and see you noted the how it's cased.

The alternate photo that Calvin mentioned above was that also a UK release or another country?

My guess is that Calvin's version came from somewhere in the Far East, as that's where he's based. Or maybe Australia?

Yes, I am from Singapore, so this is the version they probably had for those in Southeast Asia or countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom