• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Make believe its your first time

michael hirons

I often wondered what Karen said before she started singing this song?..I cant make out the words,was it some sort of introduction?,its just not clear enough to hear in the version included in the album Love Songs..Does anyone know what its was??its been bugging me for ages..Michael an old Fan in the UK

Shalom Bresticker

I did too, and I thought I saw it quoted that way somewhere.
But when I googled the song name with the additional words "serous mood", all the references I found used the quote I wrote above.

Alan71

I did too, and I thought I saw it quoted that way somewhere.
But when I googled the song name with the additional words "serous mood", all the references I found used the quote I wrote above.
It’s definitely as Ullalume says. The problem with lyric sites is that if one of them gets it wrong, it’s then replicated over lots of others. They can be helpful sometimes, but they otherwise spread incorrect lyrics.

John Adam

By the way, that statement shows that Karen was able to "fake" a mood.
And we know from her television appearances that she was a good actress.
Singers like actors draw from personal experiences to fulfill a role, but also from observing the world around them.
Sometimes you have to put yourself in "another place" in order to fulfill an obligation in the proper manner. But is it fake?
Or is the person just a great singer or actor, because they are able to channel the proper emotions when required?

Shalom Bresticker

Let me put it another way.
If Karen was able to "get into a serious mood" because it was required for a song, then we should not assume that when we see or hear her, we are seeing or hearing her real, true inner emotions.
That does not detract at all from her greatness.
She has been my favorite singer since 1972, almost 50 years.
She has touched me like no one else.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
I always interpreted that line as simply a little snippet of what was going on in the studio. There had probably been some silliness going on with people laughing, giggling, etc., but the clock was ticking and they needed to get a good track down, so Karen wanted to forget the silliness and "get into a serious mood here".

Richard probably included it as a little extra on VOICE OF THE HEART. It's not there on the single edit.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Richard probably included it as a little extra on VOICE OF THE HEART. It's not there on the single edit.
The only thing that has always puzzled me about that snippet is that it sounds muffled. Karen sounds like she’s talking with a ball of cotton wool in her mouth. It doesn’t even sound like her...almost like the audio snippet has been slowed down making her voice deeper. And that noise doesn’t sound like a cheek pop to me. Try it. On the record it sounds like a quick clap of hands. Very strange.

ullalume

The only thing that has always puzzled me about that snippet is that it sounds muffled. Karen sounds like she’s talking with a ball of cotton wool in her mouth. It doesn’t even sound like her...almost like the audio snippet has been slowed down making her voice deeper. And that noise doesn’t sound like a cheek pop to me. Try it. On the record it sounds like a quick clap of hands. Very strange.
Yeah...that snippet was my first experience of hearing her talking voice...until a couple of months later when I got live at the palladium..and it does sound different to her normal voice.

Richard said it wasnt a cheek pop so much as pulling her cheek back and forth 3 times to create that "clapping" sound. Either way I love it.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that she did that little bit "off-mike" which would account for the muffled sound.

LondonRobert

Would a professional singer eat something right before they are about to be recorded singing?
I would have thought there would be too much of a risk of coughing/ burping etc?

michael hirons

Thank you all for clearing up doubts in my mind,I feel so much happier now its all been explained,I thought that I was hearing a fault in the recording!Godbless everyone, but my thoughts are with Karen always Michael

Top Bottom