"Make Me Laugh" by The Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Perales

Hi!

I was just browsing on the YouTube website when I found this clip of Karen and Richard doing this song (I've would have added a link for this video, but I don't think it's allowed here).

It looks like it was a part of some sort of Christmas special. But what made it stand out for me is, this is the first time that I've ever seen and heard them singing together as a duet for a whole song. I also loved the way they did it. Too bad this particular number is not available on any CDs that I know of.

So, if any of you do a search on YouTube using Carpenters Make Me Laugh, you'll find it. And if you do, anyone here can tell me where were it's from?

Danny

Danny,

That recording of "Make Me Laugh" is from a Dorothy Hamill TV special that aired around 1976 or 1977. Carpenters guested on the show.

Harry

Harry said:
Danny,

That recording of "Make Me Laugh" is from a Dorothy Hamill TV special that aired around 1976 or 1977. Carpenters guested on the show.

Harry

That explains the iceskates, then. :cool: Was that Dorothy skipping away right before the Carpenters do their thing?

That song sure was a big production number. I wonder who produced it?

Danny

Note that Karen and Richard are having fun skating with "Le Bonhomme Carnaval" from the winter "Quebec Carnaval"..., so they probably shot those two videos in Quebec City..., I'll have to check in the "Carpenters Fan Club Newsletters" during the '76-'77 winter, if they mention any of this. :?:

I haven't heard this recording in ages.

I recall thinking at the time I first heard it that Karen delivered the song in a way that was not typical of her style. It wasn't the "serious" Karen, for lack of a better term.

Her delivery was a little "looser" than usual. Do you know what I mean?

ringves said:
I haven't heard this recording in ages.

I recall thinking at the time I first heard it that Karen delivered the song in a way that was not typical of her style. It wasn't the "serious" Karen, for lack of a better term.

Her delivery was a little "looser" than usual. Do you know what I mean?

I do..., a little like in "These Are The Jokes" on "The Carpenters Very Firsy TV Special"..., I like it when she does that. :laugh:

I LOVE this track... Don't know exactly why and have begged for years for a crisp, remastered version. RC dangled the proverbial pork chop in front of me by saying "Well, maybe someday. It does have a good score." Insert Charlie Brown Uuuugh here

I heard this on 1st airing and while it was the duo I didn't care for the 'live' sound preferring studio. That said I dunno why it didn't make a boxset along with Morton's Potato Chips and such. The only thing that bothered me was that at the time image was really on the skids as was airplay. Given this was a gross concern I was surprised at the SING-like essence. Prob'ly didn't garner any new recruits to the fanhouse.

Jeff

I agree, Jeff. It wasn't the best move to make at that point in time. But it was just a TV appearance. I like the sledding film clips, though.

That Dorothy Hamill special aired in 1977.Jerry Weintraub gave K&R that guest appearance-he was their manager at the time & he also produced the special.

Richard considered this track for "As Time Goes By".But,it's not a great recording & was really only intended(and suitable) for the TV special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom