Making your own Custom CD s from out of print Vinyl, Cassettes and Other Sources

While I don't burn CDs anymore, I do want to do some high-res needledrops of some of the rarer albums in my collection. Or in some cases, I have 180 gram vinyl versions of some favorite albums that totally wipe the floor with any digital version out there (like the AAA 2-LP 45RPM Peter Gunn set I picked up a month or two ago, my most recent needledrop). They convert nicely to digital, although they lose a little "something" in the process. Still, if I want to take that version in the car, or share it, or play it back on my desktop system, it's there. I still primarily play the vinyl if I am using my main system, but there are times I just throw together a playlist and include a needledrop or two among them.
The most important thing about this is regardless of whether its CD or your computer or whatever medium of preference its all about preserving and backing up your priceless and valuable music treasures i think its safe to say we all have paid Good money as well as searched long and wide not to mention work very hard for what we now have in our collections and knowing how it would be very hard or impossible to replace them if they were lost. It only makes sense.. in my opinion.

Definitely. Digital may not be the perfect backup (high-res is better if one is capable) but it certainly is the most convenient, and, better than nothing in the event of catastrophe. I keep the important stuff on at least two different drives and systems here, plus the most important of those are archived online.

Although as a few have said elsewhere, in terms of just raw playability, records are the most durable. Sure they can get scratched up and warped, but unless they are badly melted, the grooves will always be there. After all, they sent a record, not tape or digital, up into space on the Voyager spacecraft, with instructions on how to play it back. Even after the zombie apocalypse when all of our record, tape and CD players are gone, along with the electricity to power them, one can even stick a needle into a paper cone and spin a record on a twig to play it.

For that matter, how come the Professor on Gilligan's Island could build a radio out of coconut shells, but couldn't fix a freakin' boat?? :laugh:

Reading back through the discussion, I had a reel-to-reel recorder when I was about junior hi age. Yes, my friends and I did "radio" shows. Interesting commonalities. :laugh:

Reading back through the discussion, I had a reel-to-reel recorder when I was about junior hi age. Yes, my friends and I did "radio" shows. Interesting commonalities. :laugh:
You Too eh? Wow interesting commonalities indeed. You could have been a Great Radio personality. But of course anyone with any kind of recording device can be a radio star even if its just a hobby.as i mentioned before that is how my radio career started " I was a Teenage DJ" Lol.

Today's equivalent would be a podcast, and it theoretically could be "published" on YouTube. Or, on one's own site.

I don't have a "radio voice" so there's no way I would ever do one with my own voice. :laugh:

Today's equivalent would be a podcast, and it theoretically could be "published" on YouTube. Or, on one's own site.

I don't have a "radio voice" so there's no way I would ever do one with my own voice. :laugh:
That's ok i didnt have a radio voice when i was 17 but at that time i decided to develop one and 12 years of practice later my first on air show began but i wanted to get into radio and i committed myself to it not everybody has the desire to do it but at least my home studio in its various incarnations was and is my laboratory.Classroom Etc. And with a decent recorder you can archive your work in the same way you can archive your music library.

I would have to farm out my voiceovers if I ever needed them. :D It's been one of those back-burner ideas to do some sort of podcast for the Corner, but lately it's not like I have time to devote hours to putting together a single program. And then, to do it regularly...

It does take A lot of time and effort and It Is Hard work A lot of people dont realize just how much work it really is a lot of people start out thinking its just playing music and talking but in radio and recording it involves much more than that..and when many who start find that out some of them decide they dont want to proceed any further. And its understandable. However there are the rest of us like myself who knew what it was about and love it all the same and in my case im very fortunate to still be working in radio after 2 decades.

I've never been wild about the sound of my voice either. Maybe that's why God invented auto-tune. :D

A podcast could have possibilities.

And thankfully i have many episode highlights from many of my Radio shows that originally were recorded on cassette transferred to CDR and believe it or not i still have my dads old radio/ cassette recorder 90s vintage in which to record my shows live (I still have a few usable tapes for that occasional purpose) on passion I will bring the Radio recorder with headphones with me to the studio and preserve 60 minutes worth of my Radio bits .segues etc and a big section of my archives is well supplied the most recent recording is from mid 2016 surprisingly the old recorder still works and thru the headphone y patch connector I plug it into my home studio mixer ( EQ ing And Make Adjustments to the sound) and record directly to disc.

Back
Top Bottom