March 2018 Rememberances

Bill Burkette, the lead singer of The Vogues ("You're The One", "Five O'Clock World" & "Turn Around, Look At Me") has died at 75 years old. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

EDWARDS-Nokie.jpg Guitarist Nokie Edwards of the Ventures passed away today at age 82. He did a solo show and tutorial at a music store in my town in 1998. I saw him again when the group shared the stage with Kansas at an outdoor show on the Ohio River in Ashland, KY, in the summer of 2007.

JB

EDWARDS-Nokie.jpg Guitarist Nokie Edwards of the Ventures passed away today at age 82. He did a solo show and tutorial at a music store in my town in 1998. I saw him again when the group shared the stage with Kansas at an outdoor show on the Ohio River in Ashland, KY, in the summer of 2007.

JB
I am a Ventures fan this is too sad So far 3 out of 4 of the original members have passed I believe Mel Taylor passed first and then Bob Bogle ( or is it Don Wilson?) And Now Nokie Edwards so it looks like just One original member is left thankfully I have the CD reissues as The Ventures music Forever Lives on in my library.

Interestingly/surprisingly enough, Rolling Stone Magazine writes of
Theoretical Physicist Stephen Hawking (Caveat: His passing hits hard, as this is my profession):
Excerpt....
"For all his theories about the cosmos, Stephen Hawking may be remembered as much for his assessment
of Homer Simpson's "donut-shaped universe" as his groundbreaking work on the nature of time and existence
of parallel dimensions – and that's just one of Hawking's many contributions to a surprisingly robust comedic legacy."

Stephen Hawking: How an Astrophysicist Became a Global Pop-Culture Icon

Bob Bogle passed away a few years ago. Don Wilson is still living. Drummer Mel Taylor died 22 years ago. His son, Leon, replaced him. Gerry McGhee occasionally tours with the Ventures but was not at the 2007 show.

JB

Songwriter Kenny O'Dell has died at 73 years old. Kenny had a Top 40 hit with "Beautiful People" in 1968. Kenny wrote "Behind Closed Doors" for the late Charlie Rich in 1973 & "Mama He's Crazy" by The Judds in 1983. Kenny O'Dell - Wikipedia Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom