Master recordings

Song4uman

Are there any “master” Carpenters albums. A guy was telling me recently about some master recordings that he used to have a different artist and how clean they were. Would those be considered test pressings or are master recordings or master pressings a different thing?

jonathan

The only commercial vinyl I know of, is the Canadian Half Speed Master vinyl record of The Singles 1969-1973. It’s a good, but not great recording. I think the best vinyl were the mid 80’s Japanese Alpha A&M releases. Very well made. The test pressings don’t sound any cleaner than store bought copies to me. Maybe somebody else had a better experience with them then I did. I have many, and don’t hear any difference. He may have been referring to Nautilus or Mobile Fidelity vinyl from the 80’s, many of which are very expensive to buy now. No Carpenters titles on vinyl release here. They did release some dbx Carpenters albums though. You needed a special decoder to play them through your system. Has anyone on here heard them?

The only commercial vinyl I know of, is the Canadian Half Speed Master vinyl record of The Singles 1969-1973. It’s a good, but not great recording. I think the best vinyl were the mid 80’s Japanese Alpha A&M releases. Very well made. The test pressings don’t sound any cleaner than store bought copies to me. Maybe somebody else had a better experience with them then I did. I have many, and don’t hear any difference. He may have been referring to Nautilus or Mobile Fidelity vinyl from the 80’s, many of which are very expensive to buy now. No Carpenters on vinyl.
Thank you!!

It says the dbx titles of Close To You and Made In America are made on audiophile vinyl. The album stickers definitely say,
play with a dbx disc decoder.
Rudy, have you ever listened to any dbx recordings? Just curious to the hype. A format that didn’t last, just like quadrophonic. They were expensive back in the 80’s.

Last edited:
It says the dbx titles of Close To You and Made In America are made on audiophile vinyl. The album stickers definitely say,
play with a dbx disc decoder.
Rudy, have you ever listened to any dbx recordings? Just curious to the hype. A format that didn’t last, just like quadrophonic. They were expensive back in the 80’s.
Can those be played on a regular system?

They won’t sound any good without the dbx decoder hooked up to your system.
Reviews online are very good though.

I’ve got both DBX encoded discs. They don’t sound all that great when played back on a regular stereo. One thing that is interesting is the ‘Made In America’ LP uses the tan and white label rather than the common red label. Plus, the original hype sticker is also stuck to the front cover.

Back
Top Bottom