• M.F. Horn 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.F. Horn 4 & 5 (Live At Jimmy's)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I finally got around to putting all of Maynard Ferguson's M.F. Horn series on CD, and was surprised how short the whole thing was. I got it onto 2 & 1/2 discs. I ended up filling the last disc with a German LP called Trumpet Rhapsody (which is great, BTW). Since it would fit on 3 CDs it seems even more puzzling that Sony/Columbia hasn't reissued this great music (must be kin to those Uni folks :D ).

I hadn't listened to this stuff for a while, except for M.F. Horn 2, so I was pleasantly surprised at how good Maynard sounded on his Superbone. Some of the lines he played were incredible, especially since I'm used to hearing only his high screeching trumpet lines. On Superbone he was more lyrical, more of a jazz player.

I saw Maynard a few weeks ago when he came to town, and it was kind of disturbing. His band was tight, but Maynard seemed to have a tough time belting out the notes, especially towards the end of the night. The other trumpet players ended up doing the high stuff. I believe he's in his 70's now, and I think all those years in the stratosphere have finally caught up to him. He ended up doing more directing than playing.

Capt. Bacardi

Gotta give Maynard credit--what he may lack in chops these days is made up for with his energy. And he's always always been supportive of music education. I'd be willing to overlook his weary chops just to see "da man" in person.

I can't vote on the poll yet, though. It's like trying to pick different flavors of ice cream that I like equally. MF Horn 1 sort of edges out MF Horn 2, but not by much. And MF Horn 4 and 5 are a hot date. I don't have MF Horn 3, I don't think...I thought I had most of the Columbias by now. Yes...even Hot!, with that insipid "Rocky II Disco" cut. :hurl:

Hey...Joe Jackson is in Austin on 3/15. Got tickets yet? Gotta Look Sharp!

Rudy said:
Gotta give Maynard credit--what he may lack in chops these days is made up for with his energy. And he's always always been supportive of music education. I'd be willing to overlook his weary chops just to see "da man" in person.

I first saw him in a rather small club in the mid-80's, and for the life of me I can't figure out why they even bothered putting a mic on him. :shock: I was in the front row and was almost bowled over with that sheer power he had. :o

Rudy said:
I don't have MF Horn 3, I don't think.

That was one that I didn't listen to as much at first. There was some weird sitar stuff on "Chala Nata" that I didn't care for, but "Nice 'N' Juicy" makes up for it.

Rudy said:
..I thought I had most of the Columbias by now. Yes...even Hot!, with that insipid "Rocky II Disco" cut. :hurl:

You're a braver man than I am. :) I was able to tolerate the original "Gonna Fly Now", but I had to draw the line on that one.

Rudy said:
Hey...Joe Jackson is in Austin on 3/15. Got tickets yet? Gotta Look Sharp!

I'd like to, but he's part of the SXSW thing, and you need those stupid wristbands to get in. They do sell tickets if there's any room left, but everybody is saying this will be sold out. :evil: I'd like to see him though. There's a neat story on him at CNN http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/11/people.watn.sharp/index.html

Capt. Bacardi

A fun era and one of the last gasps of the big bands. M.F.HORN I came out around the time I was starting college and hearing Maynard with new material on the local jazz station(WHAT-FM)was a treat. For sentimental reasons,I would give that one the nod. With Maynard, the barnburners are usually what I hang around for,but the ballads are what keeps this one fresh after over 30 years. "Ballad For Max" and "If I Thought You'd Ever Change your Mind" are the two tracks. I was fortunate to see this band(and its slow evolution from a British band to an American one) a number of times from 1971 to 1973. I went to a Pa. state college(West Chester) known for churning out music teachers. Maynard was booked in the fall of '71 and few music dept. students attended. I was there 'cause I was a fan and found I had bought one of the first tickets. The night was such a thrill,they booked him almost immediately for a spring '72 date with for a clinic and MANDATORY attendance for all music people. I snuck in(and skipped my classes that day) just to see the band members interacting with the students. Maynard was doing some breathing exercises he learned in India and these kids were pretty straight-laced marching band guys who thought the world revolved around Doc Severinsen(OK,I guess,but a starting place) not quite getting it. But after the concert they came away believers. Also, if you are responding to this post and own(or owned) MF HORN I,which cover do you have-the early one with Maynard sitting on a stool or the washed out head shot somewhat obscuring Maynard's beads and bandana? Ahh,1969. Mine is the latter one. Mac

I can't recall which it was, but MF used to make a yearly appearance at one of the Detroit area high schools. It usually attracted kids from all over the city. It's a shame I never went to one of those. MF was huge in high schools at the time--any self-respecting jazz band director had at least a couple of MF charts in the book. In ours, I think we had "Pagliacci" from Primal Scream, and we played "Country Road" from MF Horn 2 quite often. May have been one or two others.

We had a battle-of-the-bands with the other three high schools in our district. Thanks to our killer rhythm section, and horns that had played together for five years, we blew 'em all away. (Except for piano, bass and guitar, and one trumpet player, our big band in high school was the same group who'd played together since 7th grade.) Only time we broke into a sweat was when Mott High pulled out MF's "Birdland", and the girl on lead trumpet gave her new "screech" Jet-Tone mouthpiece a workout. We always had good charts, not the usual bland high school stuff. Our teacher played woodwinds in a local big band.

NP: a Mobile Fidelity LP pressing of George Benson's Breezin'...very nice! Makes the CD sound like a hockey puck...

Rudy said:
NP: a Mobile Fidelity LP pressing of George Benson's Breezin'...very nice! Makes the CD sound like a hockey puck...
Neil-I suspect you have the original Warner version of BREEZIN'. In all fairness,Rhino has brought out a remastered deluxe addition(deluxe priced,too)as well as a DVD-Audio version of the album. On the dark side,Warner has never deleted the original version(in fact,it is still pressed to this day) and it is often used for Super Saver sales to lure grown ups to look over their selection. BREEZIN' is still a fairly popular catalog item. Also,there is no attempt to inform the unsuspecting consumer that a better version,manufactured by the original owner,is available. Mac

Yes, I do have the original CD pressing, which I got back in the 80's. I'd be curious to see if the newest remaster is as compressed as most new CDs are these days.

I've been a little worried about Maynard. We saw him last summer at a very hot Chicago street fair last July. I wondered if he'd make it all the way through the set. He didn't. He got back on the bus before the end and didn't play any more when he came back out.

In fairness, it was just plain hot! M.F. is going to be 75 in May and he really ought to watch his weight. I think it was Dizzy Gillespie who told Roy Eldridge later in life that it was time to start singing more and playing less. We gotta give Maynard credit for hanging in there and at least fronting the great group of young guys. He's a great showman!

Frankly those MF Horn things don't work for me as much as I'd like these days. Put me down for #4&5. I prefer "One More Trip to Birdland" on Concord. Check out a song called "The Vibe". I think that's Maynard on Fluegal and I think I've got the right record. He still rises to he occasion.

I've got every MF record since the fifties, just about. Even some of the things he did with Jimmy Dorsey in the 40's. I have a lot of Senior moments about discography these days.

i just found a web site you may be interested in. they have re-released the mf carnival album on cd on:

www.woundedbird.com

they look like an interesting label. they ask for suggestions. maybe we can compel them to reissue some of our favorite a&m things.

Wounded Bird is an offshoot of Rhino, apparently. That would almost make me think they'll stick to Warner-type releases...except if they reissued a Columbia-era Maynard, it's possible they may just be licensing these from the original labels. They recently reissued the last unreleased Jean-Luc Ponty Atlantic album on CD: Live (from 1979--it came right after Cosmic Messenger). The sound of the CD is pretty good, beating the dull-sounding LP.

Storm's a-brewin' outside...think I'll sign off for now. :D

Wounded Bird Records was started by Terry Wachsmuth,former head of A&R for One Way Records,a reissue label from the '90s that was eventually swallowed up by Alliance Entertainment Corp.(AEC),publisher of the All Music Guide and the largest remaining one stop distributor. I think Wounded Bird got its start with-ta-da-Shawn Phillips catalog,including the A&M titles. One Way's raison d'etre seemed to be just putting stuff out on CD that nobody ever thought would come out on CD. Where else would the entire Bonzo Dog Band albums(not just the hits like Rhino did) see light of day in the US? MF fans are probably aware that One Way is the label to license Bill Chase's Columbia material. As Wounded Bird seems like a label to license stuff from WEA,One Way seems to lean a bit on EMI's catalog. In either case,it seems that these are simply licensing agreements and neither EMI is connected to One Way,nor is Wounded Bird part of AOLTmeWarnerThe World. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom