"Memories of Madrid" & "More and More Amor" best songs by Sol Lake*

Both are gorgeous songs with great melodies. If I had to choose one it would be "Memories Of Madrid". I particularly like the version of "Memories Of Madrid" on the old LP (the "wet" version) with its light reverb on the lead trumpets.

I agree with Harry but I would add Green Peppers From Whipped cream and other delights it's Really Impossible to choose just one or two because for many of us we have many favorites

I can honestly say there's no Sol Lake / TJB songs that I don't like. I like all of them. It'd be very hard to pick a fave. I think the earliest one I fell for was "Green Peppers." I love how it stops in the middle.

Some years ago there was a Billboard article where Herb said he had some Sol Lake songs "in the can" that they might put out, but that never happened. Since then I've searched for that article and haven't been able to find it....So maybe it was a dream.

Has anyone ever rounded up a list of Sol Lake songs around here? I thought we might have done it many years ago, but with my memory being what it is... :laugh:

"Lonely Bull" started as "Twinkle Star." It makes me wonder what Lake's original demo of it might have sounded like. Herb's "bullfight" treatment gave it a different feel, no doubt! But imagine it being played as a solo piano piece, and it really does have a nice melody to it. I could probably say the same for "A Quiet Tear," if the somewhat bombastic arrangement is stripped away.

I have 4 favorites... More & More Amor, Memories Of Madrid, Marjorine & Green Peppers. I think More & More Amor is the best tune by far off "Going Places", and it's certainly one of the 5 best tunes ever recorded by the TJB.

Those are two great songs - among the finest. I rank both as favorites ever since I first heard them back in the 1960s when they were first released. I probably listen to Memories of Madrid more often, but More and More Amor is a classic for songs in the slower tempo category.

I will say that I have never heard any Sol Lake song that I didn't like a lot. They are all unique, yet equally good, so any kind of comparison is difficult.

OK, I just looked at all the vinyl through Summertime and compiled a list of Sol Lake songs, with album titles, listed in order of which they appear on the albums. Two have co-composers.

1. The Lonely Bull TLB
  2. El Lobo (Lake-Green) TLB
  3. Crawfish (Lake-Doran) TLB
  4. Winds Of Barcelona V2
  5. Marching Through Madrid V2
  6. Crea Mi Amor V2
  7. Mexican Shuffle SOTB
  8. El Presidente SOTB
  9. Salud Amor Y Dinero SOTB
  10. Adiós Mi Corazon SOTB
  11. Green Peppers WC&OD
  12. Bittersweet Samba WC&OD
  13. El Garbanzo WC&OD
  14. More and More Amor GP
  15. Memories of Madrid WNML
  16. Cantina Blue WNML
  17. Mexican Road Race SRO
  18. Bo Bo SL
  19. Cowboys and Indians Ninth
  20. A Beautiful Friend BOTB
  21. She Touched Me BOTB
  22. Marjorine Warm
  23. Country Lake TBAC
  24. Montezuma's Revenge Summertime

This would make for about a CD's worth of programming. I am going to put together a playlist and sequence it, to see what I can come up with.

Well, you need to start and/or end with "Winds Of Barcelona" and "El Presidente" as they are the same song, so they could bookend the program on the CD.

I'm starting with this:

upload_2017-11-9_10-17-2.png

"El Presidente" is good to open with, but I am not liking "Winds of Barcelona" as a closing track, and I would need to further split up the Volume 2 tracks to make this ideal. (Although it puts my lesser-favorite tracks towards the bottom.)

The playlist is 1:01:42 in length. Easily one CD or two LPs (at six tracks per side--I try to program my playlists in blocks of five or six tracks that work well together).

A mild reshuffling of the end of the list produces better results:

upload_2017-11-9_10-35-39.png

"Presidente" and "Barcelona" are still kept apart sufficiently, like warring siblings. :D

Getting ready to create this same playlist on my computer.

Funny about "Bo-Bo" -- I know it's a Sol Lake song, but with its quirky melody and key changes, it really reminds me of some of Julius Wechter's tunes.

I've added in the titles and start times in the description on the YouTube page.
I listened to this Earlier today and This is Very Well Done the segue effect gives it a Real Music Radio Feel to it. Excellent Job Harry. I give your effort 5 stars ( if I could give more I would.)

This is an excellent collection to walk by, exercise by, or as I'm currently doing, to do homework by (I'm just sayin'). Who would think that at this age I'd be doing homework! :D

Frankly, to hard core TjB fans like me, these are their greatest hits, adding the Julius Wechter songs, it's their essence...

Yes! More and More Amor is one of my all time favorite songs ever. And both Madrid songs, Memories and Marching are also way up there. Sol Lake is my favorite TJB contributor and I like almost everything he wrote, although I never really cared for Bo-Bo, Cowboys, and Country Lake. But even these misses still hold a lot of interest. What is intriguing to me is that it seems not much info is out there about Sol Lake. The few threads I've been able to come up with is that his full name was Solomon Lachoff. It said that he died sometime in the 80's and that he was at least a decade or more older than Herb. It metioned that Lake played with his own small ensemble. It would be wonderful to hear any recordings that may be out there.

Back
Top Bottom