"Memories of Madrid" & "More and More Amor" best songs by Sol Lake*

Has anyone ever rounded up a list of Sol Lake songs around here? I thought we might have done it many years ago, but with my memory being what it is... :laugh:

"Lonely Bull" started as "Twinkle Star." It makes me wonder what Lake's original demo of it might have sounded like. Herb's "bullfight" treatment gave it a different feel, no doubt! But imagine it being played as a solo piano piece, and it really does have a nice melody to it. I could probably say the same for "A Quiet Tear," if the somewhat bombastic arrangement is stripped away.
"A quiet tear" was not written by Sol Lake, but by Herb Alpert himself I believe.

Sol Lake was Truly a Great Song writer and a True Asset to the Success of the TJB and always will be it's unfortunate that we never got to know more about him in his own right

Just curious - can anyone still play the Sol Lake playlist video back on page one? My info says it's blocked everywhere.

The worst song written by Sol Lake is "Country Lake" (from 1969 "The Brass Are Comin'") which I did not like.

Herb himself mentioned in the liner notes of the Shout! Factory reissue of BOTB that A Beautiful Friend and She Touched Me were two of his favorite Sol Lake tunes.

I'd have to go with She Touched Me as Sol's best tune.

Incidentally, Sol co-wrote(I believe with Elsa Doran) the song Roly Poly from the movie The Pajama Game. Doris Day sang it.

Solomon Lachoff was born December 19, 1911 and died March 2, 1991.

Last edited:
My Top Five would be, "Memories Of Madrid", "El Lobo (The Wolf)" "Mexican Shuffle", "Cowboys and Indians" and "A Beautiful Friend".

I'm starting with this:

upload_2017-11-9_10-17-2.png

"El Presidente" is good to open with, but I am not liking "Winds of Barcelona" as a closing track, and I would need to further split up the Volume 2 tracks to make this ideal. (Although it puts my lesser-favorite tracks towards the bottom.)

The playlist is 1:01:42 in length. Easily one CD or two LPs (at six tracks per side--I try to program my playlists in blocks of five or six tracks that work well together).
I put together a similar playlist on Spotify a few years ago, which I tentatively titled, Herb Alpert Presents The Sol Lake Songbook.

We've found that YouTube doesn't seem to like track lists with the timings in the description. By removing those, the videos have popped back to the public being able to view them. Here's the Sol Lake segued songs by the TjB, back from its time-out.

Both are gorgeous songs with great melodies. If I had to choose one it would be "Memories Of Madrid". I particularly like the version of "Memories Of Madrid" on the old LP (the "wet" version) with its light reverb on the lead trumpets.
That version also has the trombone louder in the mix -- so we get to hear those unique brass voicings that help to climax and close those sections.

Indeed, those are my two faves of Sol's as well. I would add the following to my personal top-5 list:
  • Mexican Shuffle
  • Adios, Mi Corazon
  • Mexican Road Race

Back
Top Bottom