Mendes: new releases...what are these anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardWarner

Contributor
OK, Amazon sent me this alert this morning about two new Mendes releases. Anybody know anything about 'em?

1)
Voce Ainda Nao Ouviu Nada
by Sergio Mendes & Bossa Rio

Release date: August 5, 2002
Label: Dubas Musica
Format: Audio CD

2)
Serie Gold
by Sergio Mendes

Release date: August 5, 2002
Label: Universal
Format: Audio CD

The first one is the same album as The Beat Of Brazil, but in its original Brazilian release format. (This Bossa Rio is Serigo's early jazz group, not the later vocal one led by Manfredo Fest. The horn arrangements on this record are by Antonio Carlos Jobim.)

"Voce Ainda Nao Ouviu Nada" (Philips, 1964) - black & white cover photos, all text in Portuguese. Tracks:

1. Ela E Carioca
2. Neurotico
3. Coisa No. 2
4. Desafinado
5. Corcovado
6. Garota De Ipanema
7. Primitivo
8. Noa Noa
9. Nana
10. O Amor Em Paz

"Beat Of Brazil" (Atlantic, 1967) - I'm not sure how Atlantic got the rights from Philips to rerelease this material, but they did so in 1967, shortly after Sergio made it big on A&M. Tracks:

1. Nana
2. O Amor Em Paz
3. Garota De Ipanema
4. Coisa No. 2
5. Primitivo
6. Ela E Carioca
7. Corcovado
8. Noa Noa
9. Desafinado
10. Neurotico

It's good music... and although I haven't heard this particular CD reissue, I do recommend picking it up since the equivalent "Beat Of Brazil" is only available as a long-OOP Japanese import or on a crappy Collectables two-fer.

- William

I'm going to have to search this one out.

One question that leaves me hanging, though, about Atlantic...and I'll post that in the Jazz area.

-= N =-

Not sure about "Serie Gold", but it's likely to be the A&M Gold Series, sometimes referred to as the A&M New Gold Series. This series appeared in Japan & Europe and featured quite a few A&M artists from Chris Montez to the Tijuana Brass. The Sergio Mendes version of A&M GOLD SERIES has the following track listing:

1 Mais Que Nada
2 Fool On The Hill
3 Day Tripper
4 With A Little Help From My Friends
5 Norwegian Wood
6 Scarborough Fair
7 Goin' Out Of My Head
8 Look Of Love, The
9 What The World Needs Now Is Love
10 Dock Of The Bay, (Sitting On) The
11 Night And Day
12 Wave
13 So Many Stars
14 For Me
15 Bim-Bom
16 Pretty World
17 Crystal Illusions (Memories De Marta Sare)
18 After Midnight
19 Wichita Lineman

Harry
...scouring the HMV site, online...

William said:
Be careful... the band has two trombones in it! :shock: Blowing very loud...

As long as they're not sitting directly behind me, they can blow as loudly as they want! (And for some reason, I'm now reminded of an early salsa album with Cal Tjader and Eddie Palmeiri where the brass section was three trombones.)

-= N =-

Rudy said:
(And for some reason, I'm now reminded of an early salsa album with Cal Tjader and Eddie Palmeiri where the brass section was three trombones.)

Wow! That's a lot of bad plumbing to deal with!

--Mr Bill
who is now in posession of a trombone himself... questions for the Captain to follow...

Mr Bill said:
Wow! That's a lot of bad plumbing to deal with!

Well, if that's the case, it's 50% more bad plumbing than J&K, or K&JJ... :confused:

Mr Bill said:
who is now in posession of a trombone himself... questions for the Captain to follow...

Answers:

1. No, it will not land you a full-time job...or a part time one, for that matter.

2. No, it does not improve your popularity with girls. (Unless you consider a slap in the face to be popularity.)

3. Yes, you will be the butt of all musician jokes, except the Kenny G. jokes.

4. Yes, you do have to get used to playing out of tune all the time.

5. How do you play it? To paraphrase Lauren Bacall, "You do know how to play trombone, don't you? Just put your lips together and blowwww."

-= N =-

6. No, your tone will never be half as perfect as Urbie Green's.

(Oh, #2 is a drag. It may be one reason why I decided to double on flute...)

- William

William said:
(Oh, #2 is a drag. It may be one reason why I decided to double on flute...)

In our area, being male and playing a flute was a certain beating at the bike racks after school. My sax teacher, in fact, played flute as his primary instrument and had the usual scuffles. But fortunately, after he won a few, he got left alone. He went on to get a masters and teach music at a university in Florida.

Trombone? He'd probably be a postal worker, playing trombone on the side, living somewhere in the middle of Texas. (Not that this has ever been done before... :wink: )

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom