Mendes re-releases listening reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
I've been cruising around in my vehicle blasting PAIS TROPICAL at top volume.

I won't speak about the sound quality much, as even with a home stereo I'm not enough of a golden ear to be all that picky....but I did hear a fairly prominent dropout at the end of "Gone Forever." There is juat a bit of tape hiss throughout, and I haven't compared this to any of the other releases of some of these songs yet...but overall I would say it sounds very good.

This is the first time I've listened to this album all the way thru in quite some time. One thing that hasn't changed...the proceedings grind to a halt on cue, in the middle of each side, with "Morro Velho" and "I Know You." I was hoping I'd maybe grown into these songs a bit more over the years, the way I have with some of the earlier ballads, but no go. WHY did Sergio put this MOR stuff into his albums when the band was capable of such great driving uptempo stuff?? WHY WHY WHY?

OK, now that that's over, a couple of other observations.

One thing I never noticed before is that "Tonga" is about a minute shorter in real life than it is listed on the album. (Either that or this is an edited version, but I don't think so.)

Other than that, the most noticable "flaw" in the album is that they cut off the studio intro bit on "Zanzibar," where you hear a few guitar plucks, then a count-off before the song actually starts. However, they just killed the audio...the "time" between "Zanz" and the preceding track is the same.

The bonus track, "Pais Tropical" Japanese version, sounds like it was transferred from a cassette tape...mucho hiss. Also, Sergio's piano is mixed WAY back to the point that after the introduction, you can hardly hear it. You can actually hear the piano volume decrease twice...first when the vocals start, and then again at the end of the first verse. (I'm not sure if it's this way on the original version (which I have on a rarities disk, thanks to another member here) but will compare.) It is cool in that now you can hear the guitar better, but I prefer the mix on the English version much more.

Lastly, the cover. It's very cool in that they reproduced (on the booklet) the "flap" that came with the original LP. The inside has thumbnails of the other Mendes releases, and the "flap" is added onto the front cover so that it folds over the back. It was a nice touch and unexpected. The only quibble I have with the package is that the text is reproduced from the original LP and is very very tiny. (It was small even on the LP!) But given these couple of small quibbles, I'm highly satisfied with the whole deal. Never thought this would EVER see the light of CD.

Mike Blakesley said:
I won't speak about the sound quality much, as even with a home stereo I'm not enough of a golden ear to be all that picky....

I really want to compare Herb Alpert Presents... on the new CD with my Mobile Fidelity LP pressing (which I know is from an original master tape).

Mike Blakesley said:
but I did hear a fairly prominent dropout at the end of "Gone Forever."

This talk of dropouts is something I'm still concerned about. "Tijuana Taxi" is a mess. "Night and Day" from Equinox has some noticeable dropouts, and other minor ones, and I'm noticing a couple other tracks on this album suffer from dropouts. Makes me wonder how well these masters were stored. It would be comforting to know if they are being stored properly, or at the very least, maybe digitized in a high-resolution format (at least 24 bit/96 kHz) to preserve what's there.

This is the first time I've listened to this album all the way thru in quite some time. One thing that hasn't changed...the proceedings grind to a halt on cue, in the middle of each side, with "Morro Velho" and "I Know You." I was hoping I'd maybe grown into these songs a bit more over the years, the way I have with some of the earlier ballads, but no go. WHY did Sergio put this MOR stuff into his albums when the band was capable of such great driving uptempo stuff?? WHY WHY WHY?

Paybacks, mah frien'. Someone "high up" stole his girl, so these are the payback. :wink:

Other than that, the most noticable "flaw" in the album is that they cut off the studio intro bit on "Zanzibar," where you hear a few guitar plucks, then a count-off before the song actually starts. However, they just killed the audio...the "time" between "Zanz" and the preceding track is the same.

Makes you wonder if the studio bit was intentional, or an oversight that remained for all these years. Still, an engineer unfamiliar with the album may have felt it was an error and lopped it off.

-= N =-

Yes, I hate the lack of 'Om, Dos, Tres' at the beginning of Zanzibar. And the lack of English liner notes. But I agree with you...I thought I'd never CD re-issues of these albums in my lifetime (I was just talking to Jon about that last night)

But I love the Japanese translation of those After Midnight lyrics: "Going to be peaches and cream" is now "Going to be bitches and queens"! (Hmm. Never realized this song was about the Stonewall Riots! :D Feel the Love!)

I did spring for the 'SERGIO MENDES SONGS selected by Sinichi Osawa', which has three , (count 'em) three versions of Mas Que Nada - the 1966 original , the early 70s one from Live at the Greek Theatre and the 2002 'Carlos Murphy Edit', which I actually like a lot. He doesn't screw around with it too much, merely extends the opening and closing phrases in multiple repeats, finishing with a funky techno-beat flourish that submerges Lani in a muffled finale where all you hear is the beat. It's not disrespectful of the classic original, and made me think I wouldn't mind hearing a whole album of interestingly remixed Brasil '66 hits..starting with Ye-Me-Le, which I believe some enterprising mixmaster could make a scorching dancefloor hit out of. :tongue:

We're home from Mickey's place, and my FedEx package from HMV Japan was waiting for me. I'm told by the neighbors that they arrived sometime early in the week, so it took less than a week's time to ship from Japan.

I'm sitting here listening to STILLNESS. I'm used to hearing all but one of these tracks in digital form from that UK 2 CD set. "Celebration Of The Sunrise" now sounds great like the rest of the tracks, and the fade-in on the reprise is timed much better than my makeshift version.

I'm now skimming through PAÍS TROPICAL. Title track sounds great -- I'm hearing more little details than before -- but then again I'm concentrating on it. As one of the admirers of the pop side of Sergio Mendes, I'm enjoying "So Many People" -- sounds better than ever before. I've never had a problem with the slow-tempoed "Morro Velho" and Gracinha's vocal sounds terrific to my ears. Ouch! -- I don't like that edit in the early part of "Zanzibar." This must be a mistake on the part of the CD's compilers. But the song sounds terrific anyway. The stereo separation on the title track and "Tonga" is wonderful, and listening with headphones is a real treat. Karen's lovely Lani Hall-like reading on "Gone Forever" is playing now. I'll listen for the afore-mentioned dropout. OK, I hear it -- it's in the final orchestral swell as the song is ending. It sounds pretty minor to me, but it's there nonetheless -- and it didn't exist in the LP version. "Asa Branca" sounds nifty with the enhanced bass I'm hearing on these discs, a tribute to the late, great Sebastiao Neto. And an agreement here with Mike, as the proceedings grind to a dead halt for "I Know You." Has anyone ever compiled a CD with exclusively Sergio's growly vocals? :tongue: "After Midnight" concludes the main album, and has appeared digitally elsewhere, but sounds fine here. The bonus track, the Japanese "País Tropical" seems recorded at lower levels than the main tracks, but this version sounds better than what I'd gotten a copy of before. A novelty to be sure, but one I'm sure the Japanese appreciate. Liner notes spelling error/typo: "Thia album is available..."

PRIMAL ROOTS. The first two tracks had been on various compilations before, and they sound fine here with the enhanced bass and great stereo separation. "Canto de Ubirantan" and the rest of the album is a treat for me to finally have professionally mastered to CD as I've come to truly appreciate this album in the last few years. "Iemanjá" is the polar opposite for me of "I Know You" -- here Sergio's growly vocal scatting is perfect for the song, and this transfer to CD is top-notch. "Pomba Gira" and "The Circle Game" sound lovely without the hissing "S's" that my LP produced, and the nice, quiet reprise finishes off the album nicely. I'm quite used to hearing "The Crab" at the end of this album, since that's where I stuck it on my homemade CD. It may have been mastered from a 45, as I hear some of the same familiar distortion that I'd gotten used to on my copy, though it sounds like they at least attempted to clean it up. It should be a treat to those who've never heard it.

I never in my wildest thought I'd hold a professionally made CD of LIVE AT THE EXPO '70 in my hands, yet here it is, spinning in my CD player. Enhanced bass gives the album a warmer sound, which previously sounded a bit flat. The stereo staging of the album has been preserved, with Lani's vocals isolated on the left channel while Karen's are on the right. And it's nice to have a clean copy of "Viola" from this concert tacked on as a bonus track. Three words sum up this album: Hey! Oh yahh!

All in all, quite a nice bunch of CDs, well packaged and mastered.

Harry
NP: "Viola", Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 from LIVE AT EXPO '70

[edited for spelling and typos]

A word about Sergio's vocals.

There are a few songs I actually like his singing on. (These are just songs in which he sings a whole verse or more....there are lots of little bits I like as well, such as "Look Around." So it's not like I hate his vocals!)

"Cancao Do Nosso Amor" from STILLNESS. This song is somewhat of a landmark, as it's the first song in the B'66 canon in which Sergio sings lead, by himself all the way thru with no help from Lani. (Do you think maybe she was supposed to take a verse, then left the group before it could be recorded? Hmmm.) Within the overall peacefulnes of most of the rest of the album, the song fits nicely and makes a nice break between "Chelsea Morning" and "Viramundo," although the rich orchestration sounds a bit out of place. I hated this song when I first heard it, but since I grew up and broadened my taste, this has grown on me.

"Sometimes in Winter," from STILLNESS. Although the Mendes vocal is kind of foghorn-ish, it is brief enough in the two spots and makes a nice complement for Lani, IMO. To me the real stars of this song are the piano, the orchestration and the drums, along with Lani. It's my favorite song on the album and blows away the original version, which I finally heard in the past year or so on the radio.

"Iemenja," from PRIMAL ROOTS. I haven't heard this on CD yet (out of stock at Dusty) but it will be shipped Tuesday so I'll get it Thursday (thanks, Dusty!). I think this is my favorite Sergio vocal of all. The song has this mysterious quality to it that I really enjoy. Another perfect performance by all concerned.

"Milagre," from HORIZONTE ABERTO. On this, Sergio finds his voice, finally...just by singing a bit higher!

On the other end of the scale, here's my bottom-of-the-barrel list: "I Know You," "When Summer Turns To Snow," and that gawdawful "Where Are You Coming From."

More typos: Hey Harry, check the back cover of STILLNESS carefully!

Mike Blakesley said:
A word about Sergio's vocals.

There are a few songs I actually like his singing on. (These are just songs in which he sings a whole verse or more....there are lots of little bits I like as well, such as "Look Around." So it's not like I hate his vocals!)

My post came off rather harsh as far as Sergio's vocal efforts go, and I agree with you Mike, that his vocals, when tempered with trading verses or phrases with Lani and/or Karen/Janis are just fine. The ones you listed where he sings the whole song are truly the worst offenders. And you're right, he did finally sing in the right key on "Milagre" from HORIZONTE ABERTO.

Mike Blakesley said:
More typos: Hey Harry, check the back cover of STILLNESS carefully!

That would be "Celebratoin of the Sunrise".

Harry
...happy to see a Julius Wechter credit on a CD (PRIMAL ROOTS), online...

Agree on all points here - Couldn't have said it better.

Another song with the just the right touch of Sergio vocals is Pra Dizer Adeus on LIVE AT EXPO. His soft, dark vocals backing Lani at her most haunting and plaintive combined with a sparse arrangement make a mesmerizing combination (shiver time: "You've just....clooooosed the door....leaving me....alone noooow". Woof!) that utterly surpasses the studio version...a version I used to like, but now really annoys me by comparison, it's so over-orchestrated.

On the othe hand, the studio Sometimes in Winter is perfection, and the live version (with Gracinha and Geri) is unlistenable.

MasterLcZ Wrote:

"On the other hand, the Studio Sometimes In Winter is perfection, and the live version (with Gracinha and Geri) is unlistenable..."

I love the reading of Sometimes In Winter from Live At The Greek. Gracinha and Geri (to me) are magical here. I've always been fascinated with the end of this version, "By the window once I waited for you, laughing slightly you would runnn...trees alone would shield us in the meadow, making love in the evening sunnnn..." The way they echo one another on the fade-out gives me chills.

On the other hand, Lani's reading from Stillness is, and always will be, definitive. 100% agreed.

Then again, I love So Many People, Paul doesn't. If there's one thing that makes our friendship so wonderful, it's that we agree to disagree on one or two things about Sergio's music. And, when it comes down to it, we've discovered that our experiences and feelings (we call them Sergioesque) mirror one another in a most uncanny way. Hats off to my Sergioesque Bud!

We never thought we'd see Stillness, Expo, Pais or Primal released on CD and we're thrilled (Not to mention Homecooking and Brasil '88...icing on the cake :))

These new releases are enough to keep MasterLcZ and Brasil Nut a couple of Happy Campers...that is, until Sergio decides to release something NEW!!

Brasil Nut

Mike Blakesley said:
"Cancao Do Nosso Amor" from STILLNESS. ... the first song in the B'66 canon in which Sergio sings lead, by himself all the way thru with no help from Lani. ...

I could be remembering wrong, but didn't Sergio also sing "Where Are You Coming From" without any help from Lani? That would've predated "Cancao Do Nosso Amor" by a year or two.

- William

Oops! You're right....I dislike WAYCF so much that I think I blocked it out of my memory when I was writing that post. :oops:

I finally got my copy of PRIMAL ROOTS last Thursday and have been unable to pry it out of my CD player. I just am in awe that I'm finally listening to a real, factory-made CD of this album.

The sound quality is just great. Like Harry, I had pretty much gotten used to hearing sibilant "SSS" sounds in the vocals, along with a couple of strategically placed scratch sounds. (At least I was able to get rid of the scratches some time ago!) And, my LP copy had some inner groove wear during "Pomba Gira," so it's great to hear that sounding clean after all this time.

The only quibble I have is the lack of a lyric sheet. I was looking forward to reading along with the lyrics, sparse as they are. I wonder if all that Japanese writing is the same liner notes as on the back of the album?

I still think the B-side "The Crab" would have sounded better tacked onto PAIS TROPICAL, but I can see why they didn't want to distribute all the bonus cuts to one album.

If there's anyone out there who's on the fence regarding this album, and you're feeling adventurous, go for it! This was "world music" before "world music" was even a category!

I just hit the mother lode! The UPS guy (don't get me started!) just delivered a box of Sergio CDs: Equinox, Fool On The Hill, Primal Roots (I can't wait to hear this one on CD!), Stillness, and Expo '70. I also got Tamba Trio's Classics, so I've got some major listening to do! Now, where to start...

Capt. Bacardi
...giddy online...

Captain Bacardi said:
I just hit the mother lode! The UPS guy (don't get me started!) just delivered a box of Sergio CDs: Equinox, Fool On The Hill, Primal Roots (I can't wait to hear this one on CD!), Stillness, and Expo '70.

Dawg!! I wish I could go hog-wild with those myself.

Captain Bacardi said:
I also got Tamba Trio's Classics, so I've got some major listening to do! Now, where to start...

Classics is great! This is what the Tamba Trio sound is all about! Is this the same two-CD set I have? (There's only one.) I can't get over how tight the band is. "Desafinado" cooks. It's like a condensed mini-suite. :D

-= N =-
NP: Genesis, A Trick Of The Tail, "Robbery, Assault & Battery" (the middle section in 13/8...ouch!)

Captain Bacardi said:
I just hit the mother lode! The UPS guy (don't get me started!) just delivered a box of Sergio CDs: Equinox, Fool On The Hill, Primal Roots (I can't wait to hear this one on CD!), Stillness, and Expo '70. I also got Tamba Trio's Classics, so I've got some major listening to do! Now, where to start...

Your homework assignment: Listen to Fool On The Hill and let us know if it's an improvement over the old American releases.

Harry
...curious, and hoping Captain Giddy will come through, online...

Harry--your avatar looks cool on this LCARS background. :wink:

I'm anxious to hear Fool On The Hill. On the Rebound CD, I can easily hear the "pumping and breathing" of the noise reduction, especially through headphones or when I used to have a good car system to play it on. As good as Equinox and Look Around sound, I can imagine it will be very good.

Also looking forward to Crystal Illusions; "Song Of No Regrets" demands a quiet background!

-= N =-
NP: Genesis, A Trick Of The Tail, "Los Endos"

Rudy said:
Dawg!! I wish I could go hog-wild with those myself.

I really couldn't afford to do this, since my vacation was a bit costly. But then again, you never know when these will go out of print, a la Lani's Sundown Lady. I'll just have to tighten up the old belt a bit. :wink:

Rudy said:
Classics is great! This is what the Tamba Trio sound is all about! Is this the same two-CD set I have? (There's only one.) I can't get over how tight the band is. "Desafinado" cooks. It's like a condensed mini-suite. :D

This is the one you've been urging me to get for a while, so I thought "why not?" on this. I've still got Sergio on the carousel. I'm up to Stillness now.

Capt. Bacardi

Harry said:
Your homework assignment: Listen to Fool On The Hill and let us know if it's an improvement over the old American releases.

I've only had the LP, so it's a BIG improvement. "Canto Triste" is my favorite song, and it sounds great. The whole album sounds great. I'll have to really listen to these again, since I'm running through them all at once right now. I'm on Stillness right now, which I didn't have before. I just heard "Chelsea Morning", and now Sergio's singing something, which I'm not too fond of. So I'm trying to take all of this in at once. Oooh! There's a muted trombone right now! I'm liking this song better now! :)

Capt. Bacardi

Mike Blakesley said:
The sound quality is just great. Like Harry, I had pretty much gotten used to hearing sibilant "SSS" sounds in the vocals,

Now that brings back some memories! I was into R&B and fusion/funk jazz back in the 80's, as well as 12" singles, and the silibance was always an annoyance since these LPs and singles were always cut "hotter". Took me a few bills (of the c-note variety :confused: ), but sometime around 1983 or 1984, I cured most of that problem with the Shure V15-VMR cartridge. If the vinyl isn't damaged from lesser cartridges, it plays the inner grooves with little or no distortion, and was the only cartridge I've ever heard that could track a 7" 45RPM single correctly.

This Shure has a MicroRidge stylus, which has the sufficiently small radius to play the tight inner grooves and tight "silibant" signals, as well as a light-weight thin-walled (and fragile :confused: ) beryllium cantilever to reduce the moving mass. The Shure also shipped with a foolproof alignment jig. Shure even had an "obstacle course" test record, and this cartridge was the only one I've ever owned that could track all six levels of the test. Even cartridges that run well into the four-figure range can't track what the Shure can.

I think groove wear distortion is the most annoying of all LP faults. Scratches I can live with and clean up, and unless it's overly crackly, "vinyl noise" isn't all that bad. I've also learned that the only good way to clean vinyl is to put it on the record vacuum. A Discwasher is good for lifting out dust (especially when the fluid is applied to lightly dampen the leading edge of the "brush"), but any 'wet' system is no good unless there's a vacuum to lift out all the crud. (Towel won't do it--might as well just grind the crud in further! :confused: )

New, unplayed LPs are always tops on my list if I can find them. The main problem with buying vinyl is that I have no idea who's owned the LP before me, and no clue as to what it was played on. 60's vinyl is more iffy, since the tonearms and cartridges back then were often in console systems, tracking heavily with spherical (conical) stylii that were often made of sapphire (vs. diamond), which menat they were subject to wear. I have countless LPs that looked new and unscratched, but were ruined by that crude, primitive playback equipment back then.

I bought my turntable system in pieces over the years, and it's turned out to be a great investment when transfering vinyl to the computer for editing. Even on other decent turntables, the Shure's a good investment.

That's also a reason I avoid buying used 45's, especially if they were pulled from jukebox duty. Jukeboxes were set up with heavy tracking forces to overcome feedback from the speaker, bumps, and any imperfections or skips on the record. Not to mention many were pressed on that cheaper plastic. IMHO, jukebox pulls should have been tossed in the garbage, since they're of little use to anyone in this pulverized condition.

-= N =-

Captain Bacardi said:
Harry said:

I've only had the LP, so it's a BIG improvement. "Canto Triste" is my favorite song, and it sounds great.

It's become clear to me that Fool On The Hill is probably my favorite Brasil '66 album, so knowing that yet another CD version of it had been released in the new Japanese series, I decided to break an old promise that was worded similarly to the title of an old Who song, "Won't Get FOOLed Again."

I decided to splurge and order both Fool On The Hill and that new release compilation called Sergio Mendes Songs, Selected by Shinichi Osawa. They arrived today, and I've done some side-by-side comparisons between the new UICY-3704 Fool and the old CD 3108. First off, I need to mention that the packaging mimics the old album -- not the gatefold SPX 4160, but the later reissue where the gatefold was gone. Let's just say that the boobs in Japan couldn't keep abreast of the proper artwork on this one. :wink:

As for sound, which is the real reason that I bought this one, the difference is like 'Night And Day', to borrow a title from a song on a prior album. Where the old American release (both CD 3108 and the later Rebound issue) suffered from an overbearing noise reduction attempt, the new release is like a breath of fresh air. The highs and lows are properly balanced, and this disc sounds really good - I'm quite impressed and delighted. My favorite album now sounds like it belongs with the other great remasters of Sergio's A&M catalog, instead of being the dull and lifeless sounding CD that it used to be.

Harry
NP: Fool On The Hill, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Awwww, man, you're rubbin' it in!! :wink: I'd already planned to buy it...now I can't wait to get ahold of it! "Hill" or no "hill", I want it! The CD...

-= N =-

Me too...(the CD that is)

I'm surprised they didn't do the FOOL cover properly, after the nice job they did with the PAIS TROPICAL cover.

Oh well. I've been waiting for Harry's homework assignment to be turned in before ordering this one, and now my mind is made up for me....thanks Harry, you just cost me another 20 bucks! :laugh:

Being A&M in Japan, I wonder about two things;

1. Did this album's original release in Japan ever have a gatefold? It's possible they may have based it on what their original version was.

2. Are any of the other reissued CDs gatefolds? They may have wanted to avoid a gatefold just for packaging issues (being bulkier).

Hill or no hill, as long as the CD sounds good... :D

-= N =-

Rudy said:
Being A&M in Japan, I wonder about two things;

1. Did this album's original release in Japan ever have a gatefold? It's possible they may have based it on what their original version was.

2. Are any of the other reissued CDs gatefolds? They may have wanted to avoid a gatefold just for packaging issues (being bulkier).

Hill or no hill, as long as the CD sounds good... :D

I have no idea what was originally released in Japan -- perhaps they HAVE never seen the original US release.

Stillness, if I recall correctly, has the inner gatefold photos inside the CD booklet. And Live At The Expo '70 had some of its inner-gatefold photos published inside the new CD issue.

Gee, I'll bet the photo of that original cover doesn't even reside anywhere on the web. It seems like this site would be a logical place for it.

Gentlemen, man your scanners!

Harry
NP: radio at work (and thoroughly inundated with Rolling Stones stuff!)

Harry said:
I have no idea what was originally released in Japan -- perhaps they HAVE never seen the original US release.

Plus, I don't know if the album was released simultaneously over there when it went on sale here. It could have lagged by weeks...months...years. It's well known that many import albums have different cover art than their U.S. equivalents. However, I also know that many Japanese audio buffs are avid collectors of U.S. vinyl, so I'm sure there are original U.S. copies floating around Japan right now. (BUT...did they ever end up at A&M Japan?)

Harry said:
Gee, I'll bet the photo of that original cover doesn't even reside anywhere on the web. It seems like this site would be a logical place for it.

OK...I'll have to type in "shutdown -h now" on my FreeBSD server (gadzooks? a command line you say?), reboot to Win98, and scan away. :wink:

NP: radio at work (and thoroughly inundated with Rolling Stones stuff!)

It's big news here also. Does Greater Media own stock in the Stones?? WCSX, starting last Thursday, was giving away seven pairs of tickets per day to the Stones concert, for a week. Then, starting yesterday, they're giving away one trip for two, per day, to go to Vegas and see the Stones there over the Thanksgiving weekend. The seats in Vegas are $350 each! Plus, WCSX has their "workforce" running simultanenously, paying out $100/hour to lucky listeners.

-= N =-
NP: Rolling Stones, "Don't Stop" (new track)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom