MFSL Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I was driving around for a bit today and my needledrop of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's version of HERB ALPERT PRESENTS SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66 came on.

It just sounded SO good - far better than any CD version I've ever heard. All of the nuances of the instruments, the voices, even the air in the studio, is all there, even in WMA compressed files. An outstanding recording - and an outstanding record.

s-l1600.jpg

Harry

I saw this particular version of the album in stores back in 1984 going for $15.99 or higher i foolishly passed on it because i already had the original vintage A&M version but had i known of the sound of it i would have purchased it today i have the 2006 CD reissue of it so for me it's just as well.

I picked mine up when it was first released and now I'm glad I did. I never see this one at the used record shops. It is nice to have such a clean background--the vinyl is top notch. Nice mastering job too. (Can't look at the record right now to see whose initials are in the deadwax. SR/2 would be Stan Ricker; JH/2 would be Jack Hunt.)

Surprising they don't release a nice clean CD version of this...I've never seen it in the flesh.

Given the low sales potential vs. licensing costs, I doubt Mobile Fidelity would reissue this one, either on vinyl or SACD (they mostly released hybrid CD/SACD product now, vs. CD-only). Speakers Corner reissued Look Around but if the mastering is as poor as it is on the two other LPs of theirs that I own, I wouldn't invest a nickel in it myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom