Michael Shapiro, RIP

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
According to a Facebook post just minutes ago from Bill Cantos, drummer Michael Shapiro, from Herb and Lani’s band and countless other gigs, has passed away. He didn’t give any details.

I’m sure glad we got to see the band perform in Seattle. Michael was a hell of a drummer and he really got to shine on stage.

Woke up and saw Bill Cantos' Facebook post about Michael Shapiro. Shocking and sad to hear of his untimely passing. An excellent musician who played with many major names in music. Probably known best to fans here at A&M Corner for his work with Herb Alpert & Lani Hall over the last fifteen years and for his tenure playing for Sergio Mendes.

Andrea & I got to see & hear many Herb & Lani concert dates and some Sergio as well and would like to share some photos of Michael:

H&L-2014HARTFORD_215_SIDORUK copy.jpg
Infinity Hall - Hartford, CT - 2014

H&L-2014HARTFORD_197_SIDORUK copy.jpg

2016AlpertCarlyl_103_SIDORUK.jpg
Cafe Carlyle - New York, NY - 2016

2018 ALPERT_223_SIDORUK copy.jpg
Infinity Hall - Hartford, CT - 2018

2018 ALPERT_437_SIDORUK copy.jpg

I've seen Michael a couple of times with Herb and Lani, and a couple of times with Sergio. This is truly sad and quite a shocker.

According to a Facebook post just minutes ago from Bill Cantos, drummer Michael Shapiro, from Herb and Lani’s band and countless other gigs, has passed away. He didn’t give any details.

I’m sure glad we got to see the band perform in Seattle. Michael was a hell of a drummer and he really got to shine on stage.
Woke up and saw Bill Cantos' Facebook post about Michael Shapiro. Shocking and sad to hear of his untimely passing. An excellent musician who played with many major names in music. Probably known best to fans here at A&M Corner for his work with Herb Alpert & Lani Hall over the last fifteen years and for his tenure playing for Sergio Mendes.

Andrea & I got to see & hear many Herb & Lani concert dates and some Sergio as well and would like to share some photos of Michael:

H&L-2014HARTFORD_215_SIDORUK copy.jpg

H&L-2014HARTFORD_197_SIDORUK copy.jpg

2016AlpertCarlyl_103_SIDORUK.jpg
Cafe Carlyle - New York, NY - 2016

2018 ALPERT_223_SIDORUK copy.jpg

2018 ALPERT_437_SIDORUK copy.jpg
This is definitely a shocker!
What a great talent, taken so uoung

That news is truly tragic. My condolences go out to the Shapiro family and to Herb Lani and the entire group
RiP Mike

I'm Saddened by this news Michael was a Great drummer and my Deepest condolences go to his family as well as Herb and Lani and the rest of the group.

Terrible news indeed. I have seen him with Herb several times, the last time on June 1st in 2019 in Rancha Cucamonga. Apparently he passed away in the Philippines...

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Apparently he passed away in the Philippines...
That is about all that we know as well. There is some unfounded conjecture about what happened or how it happened, but we'd rather not have it posted here until we know for certain. (Attempts to find any information are scarce, and have to be translated online.) I think after a few weeks when the news spreads through the jazz community, we'll know more. And at that point, the major jazz sites I would hope will post about Michael's passing.

From an Internet source:

Katrina Velarde confirms her husband Mike Shapiro has passed away aged 57.
— November 16, 2021

Singer Katrina Velarde has requested to express her family’s private condolences in the official statement released on the passing of her American husband Mike Shapiro. Mike passed away on Sunday, November 14, 2021. He was 57 years old.

Katrina’s official statement read: “I am deeply saddened to be informed of the passing of my husband, musician and educator Mike Shapiro on November 14 last year in Quezon City, aged 57.”

“Mike is a drummer, percussionist, and music producer who has recorded and toured extensively with Sergio Mendes and other music stars such as Natalie Cole, Al Jarreau, Flora Purim, will.i.am and others.”

“He was also a close associate of Herb Alpert, with whom he worked for many years until his death. He has taught at the LA Academy of Music, where he is also Vice President, Director of Education, and Dean of Students. He is also a professor at the Herb Alpert School of Music.”

“Prayers for his soul are most appreciated and I would like to ask for privacy during this difficult time. Thank you. ”

Friends and fans of Katrina and Mike are extremely shocked by the news that the talented musician has passed away because they have just held a wedding in May 2021 in the city of Tagaytay.

Mike’s friends living around the world also sympathize with social media.

Mike was last spotted by the entertainment press on July 1, 2021, at the virtual press conference of “Sa Panaginip”, Katrina’s new single on Viva Records.

Entertainment writers were amazed at Mike’s unexpected and rare opportunity to participate in his wife’s press conference.

Mike recounts that he chose to live permanently in the Philippines because of his great love, not only for Katrina but also for our country.

He said, “I love it here, I love the culture. I love everyone. I always feel very comfortable here.

“I know how Kat feels about living in the United States, and I know it will be a huge sacrifice for her.”

“I’ve been in Los Angeles for a long time so it’s a welcome change. I have a lot of friends here.”

In addition to Mike’s huge influence on Katrina’s singing career, he is also a producer of his wife’s songs.

Mike said, “We have a very similar vision of what music is and why we do it.”

“It’s not just a commodity, it’s not just about making money. We do it because that’s what we love and that’s what we put it here for you.”

I’m so sorry to hear this news. Mike was a tremendous talent and still too young to leave us. I was very lucky to see him twice with Herb and Lani in Chicago. RIP.

Wow! Another great loss! Believe it or not, I met Mike while he played with Herb and Lani at The Cafe Carlyle here in NY in 2912. I had come to see the concert with my friend and co-worker Coleen, where we struck up a converstion with an attractive young lady, She had said she was there to see her friend play. We asked if it was Herb, but she said no, that her friend was the drummer who of course was Mike. Within a few minutes, Mike sauntered over to talk to his friend in turn introduced him to us.

He was absolutely pleasant; I'm happy to say, and he we asked him what it's like working with Herb and Lani, and he said that they were great people, and that he glad to be working with them. I then asked if he didn't mind a suggestion, and he said he'd like to hear it. I then suggested that he talk to Herb about recording Pat Metheny's "Sueno Con Mexico" from Pat's solo guitar album circa 1979 , because I felt that this particular tune would be right up Herb's alley. Mike said that he did know the song, and yes that he would suggest it to Herb. He then left to prepare for the concert. It was a great concert, and all were in top form. Mike as well as Hussain and Bill played great, and of course Herb and Lani sounded great as well.

It was also at that concert that I met fellow A&M Corner member Steve Sidoruk, and was happy to meet him as well. I'm very sorry for Mike's passing, and my condolences to his wife, friends and family. I'm glad that I met you Mike, and you will be missed my brother. Thanks for the music.

Wow! Another great loss! Believe it or not, I met Mike while he played with Herb and Lani at The Cafe Carlyle here in NY in 2912. I had come to see the concert with my friend and co-worker Coleen, where we struck up a converstion with an attractive young lady, She had said she was there to see her friend play. We asked if it was Herb, but she said no, that her friend was the drummer who of course was Mike. Within a few minutes, Mike sauntered over to talk to his friend in turn introduced him to us.

He was absolutely pleasant; I'm happy to say, and he we asked him what it's like working with Herb and Lani, and he said that they were great people, and that he glad to be working with them. I then asked if he didn't mind a suggestion, and he said he'd like to hear it. I then suggested that he talk to Herb about recording Pat Metheny's "Sueno Con Mexico" from Pat's solo guitar album circa 1979 , because I felt that this particular tune would be right up Herb's alley. Mike said that he did know the song, and yes that he would suggest it to Herb. He then left to prepare for the concert. It was a great concert, and all were in top form. Mike as well as Hussain and Bill played great, and of course Herb and Lani sounded great as well.

It was also at that concert that I met fellow A&M Corner member Steve Sidoruk, and was happy to meet him as well. I'm very sorry for Mike's passing, and my condolences to his wife, friends and family. I'm glad that I met you Mike, and you will be missed my brother. Thanks for the music.
Great post...tell me, did you drive a DeLorean back then?

This really sad...of course. My wife and I saw him play with Herb several times, sometimes just literally a few feet away at the Vibrato...a tremendous talent...my wife always said how good he was too.

One favorite memory of the Herb/Lani concert we saw was, during the Q&A session, an audience member said "Not to take anything away from you, Herb, but I'm a drummer and I gotta say, your drummer is fantastic!" Mike really was fun to watch onstage.

Back
Top Bottom