Michele Monro (Matt Monro's Daughter)

ringves

I contacted Matt Monro's daughter (Michele) recently to inquire if the Carpenters ever met him and if he knew that they admired his singing.

Here's what she had to say:

Morning Robert,

Thank you for your very kind email and I'm thrilled that you love dad's music. He did indeed know of Karen's admiration as he bumped into them on several occasions.

Not sure whether you bought the brand new album "Stranger in Paradise: The Lost New York Sessions" but if so I'd be interested in your thoughts as I think it is one of dad's best

Cheers

Michele

FYI - It turns out that the Carpenters are mentioned in Michele's biography of her father "The Singer's Singer: The Life and Music of Matt Monro". (Also, for those who might be wondering, she is OK with her email being quoted on this forum.)

Michele is a lovely lady. I was pleased to meet her a few years back. She is keeping her Dad's name alive as curator of his legacy and there have been some very nice re-issues, 'lost' material found and her biography.

Loved the warm, listenable voice and relaxed interpretations of Matt Monro - it's no wonder Karen liked him a lot - here's one of his best...

For those of you interested in picking up a Matt Monro cd, I can recommend "Matt at the BBC". Richard Moore (who remasters the recordings for Michele) has really done a nice job of making these recordings sound new. I think they're mono recordings, but the clarity is excellent.

Amazon product ASIN B001VLP5OI

Loved the warm, listenable voice and relaxed interpretations of Matt Monro - it's no wonder Karen liked him a lot - here's one of his best...

I had never heard of this singer. What a classic crooner voice. Very smooth, like velvet. At first I thought it odd that my father (a professional singer in that era, though not famous, a local club talent) never mentioned him, but then I looked Monro up, and my father definitely knew of him, as my dad sang "Born Free" in his sets.

Back
Top Bottom