Microsoft Shows Off New Windows 7 Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

So I'm still looking for my first notebook still, haven't decided what to get yet. It always takes me forever to decide, I don't know anything about Vista, I've grown to like XP.

So I was looking at this site about notebooks and found a link to a photo and write up about Windows 7. Take a look, I guess they released this info this past Tues.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4672
Scroll Down to
Windows 7 details uncovered

Then this link also talks in more detail about it

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/28/windows-7-details-galore-interface-tweaks-netbook-builds-medi/

Looks like it's a specialized version for "netbooks" whatever that is.... laptops connected to a network?

Cripe, why don't they get Vista to work properly and then upgrade it?

Vista works fine if you have a newer computer, but XP is still pretty much the standard in the corporate world these days. I wish they'd trim Windows down, code-wise, and make it faster. XP is pretty well tuned these days, but there's still a lot of bloat.

A Netbook is a small size, ultra lightweight portable computer. They weigh 2-4 pounds, have no built in optical drives, USB ports, Ethernet Ports, and Wi-Fi built in. Battery life is usually 2-4 hours. They start under $300 new. 1.6 Ghz. processors and either SSD or 100 GB hard drives are commonplace. HP, Dell, Acer, Gateway, MSI, and more offer them. Some netbooks now have Windows 7 installed on them (higher end ones). Nice second machines for travelling or running older software on them.

Please note - this is an old topic from 2008. Windows 7 is now the new standard operating system shipping with new machines.

As for the netbooks - we have one and like it. I agree, it's a good choice for traveling.

Now that it's revived... :D

I'm split on getting a netbook eventually. I'd like to have something small to stay in touch with clients, and take care of some basic things online via the browser, but I'd also need one of those "air cards" to make it work everywhere (as opposed to finding wi-fi). On the other hand, a Blackberry does all I need it to do (check multiple e-mail accounts, log into servers for stats, etc.), is more portable, and already has the data service. The only downside is typing on the small keyboard, although of ALL the devices I've tried, the Curve 8300 series is the ONLY keyboard I could live with. All the others either have too cramped or too vague keys, or worse, a touchscreen which has absolutely ZERO tactile response (and is a lot less rugged).

Our netbook is a Dell. I hated the keyboard at first, and I can still type way faster on a regular board, but it works for temporary use. I needed to write a fairly long email while we were on vacation last month and once I got used to the flat-ish keyboard, I had little trouble except for my occasional typos -- but that's a problem no matter what I'm typing on! :)

That's one peeve of mine: I type on a Microsoft "Natural" keyboard, the split kind, and I have a hard enough time typing on a standard keyboard, not to mention a laptop/netbook. Being a fast typist, I find it hard to slow down and try to hit the keys. So my typos are more than "occasional" here. :D

Rudy,

I use a Acer Aspire One netbook for my travel machine. I have small hands so it works well. My netbook has 160 GB HDD, 1 GB Ram and the 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom processor. Runs very well (faster than my old 1.6 Ghz Dell Inspiron with a Centrino). My full service laptop is now a Toshiba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom