Missed opportunity?

Song4uman

I recently listened to an album by jazz pianist Oscar Peterson. It was incredible.

it got me to thinking. Maybe at some point in the late 80s or early 90s, maybe Richard should have done a jazz album. Some solo, some jazz trio, some guests...jazz vocal and instrumental. Some big name.

thoughts?

Jonathan

I've always thought their biggest missed opportunity would have been a country album. They did about a half-dozen or more country songs, so it would have been an easy thing. They could have called it "Carpenters Country" and maybe included new recordings of the previous country songs, like "Reason To Believe" that weren't ever singles. Or maybe some more steel guitar sprinkled here and there.

I've always thought their biggest missed opportunity would have been a country album. They did about a half-dozen or more country songs, so it would have been an easy thing. They could have called it "Carpenters Country" and maybe included new recordings of the previous country songs, like "Reason To Believe" that weren't ever singles. Or maybe some more steel guitar sprinkled here and there.

Agreed, I've stated elsewhere in a different thread that a dip into Country might have been a way for them to find some gold and popularity in the 80's.

If I had been a DJ on a Smooth Jazz station I would have played "A Song for You". "This Masquerade", "Ordinary Fool" and very especially "If We Try" and "If I Had You" off the Solo Album - these latter two were produced by Bob James, one of the biggest names and influences in Smooth or Fusion Jazz for decades - they both could have done a lot more of this as they matured, if only...

But, a straight up Jazz album by Richard would be cool too. He had the chops...

Back
Top Bottom