Mongo Santamaria - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Another notable loss in the Cuban-jazz world:

MIAMI, Fla., Feb. 3—Latin jazz conguero and bandleader Ramón “Mongo” Santamaria died early Saturday morning in Miami after a series of strokes. Some sources list his date of birth as April 7, 1922, while other sources list him as 85 at the time of his death.

Mongo Santamaria’s biggest hit was his 1963 recording of Herbie Hancock’s “Watermelon Man.” Hancock, sitting in on piano, played Santamaria the tune at a gig in 1962. Hearing it, producer and Riverside record label owner Orrin Keepnews had the band record it immediately, resulting in the label’s and Santamaria’s only top ten record.

In 1959, Santamaria wrote “Afro-Blue,” which became a standard covered by numerous artists, including John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, Count Basie, Abbey Lincoln, and Dianne Reeves.

Santamaria was born in Havana. He started on violin, but switched to drums, and later dropped out of school to become a professional musician. Santamaria played at Havana’s legendary Tropicana Club.

In the late 1940’s, he moved to Mexico, where he toured with Perez Prado.

He moved to New York City in the 1950, worked with Tito Puente for six years, and recorded in 1954 with Dizzy Gillespie. Santamaria was based on the west coast with Cal Tjader from 1957 to 1960.

In 1977, Santamaria was awarded a Grammy for Best Latin Recording for his album “Amancer.”

Santamaria is survived by six children, eight grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.

Capt. Bacardi

He was a mainstay of many of my favorite Tjader tunes on Fantasy, not to mention that he's probably on many other recordings I own. "Afro-Blue" is definitely my favorite song of his--Cal Tjader recorded it a least a couple of times over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom