More Millenium Releases Due

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I see Universal is still doing the Millenium Collection of A&M artists. On July 16th they'll release a Flying Burritos CD, and on the 23rd another Chuck Mangione compilation (Oh boy, another chance to hear "Land Of Make Believe" yet again. :rolleyes: ). They also released a Styx compilation a couple of weeks ago. I could've sworn this has all been done before... :shock:

Capt. Bacardi
...doing late-night laundry online...

Aaaah, what else is new at Univer$al? Standard procedure: never release the original albums (except the most popular), but churn out the compilations, one every year or two. They've done this for years with the MCA Jazz and GRP catalogs--ditch all the original albums, but churn out an ill-conceived Priceless Jazz or Best Of CD every couple of years.

Styx: we definitely need some reissue action here. They're one of the few better-known rock bands that is still living off of the piss-poor original CD reissues of the 80's. (Which is the reason I only own Equinox on CD and none of the others except for the more modern Kilroy Was Here.) Styx's two Greatest Hits CDs sound fantastic in comparison. As for other rock bands: Genesis, Journey, AC/DC, The Who...all have remastered CDs available.

Heck, it took them until this year to start remastering/reissuing Supertramp. With Styx out on yet another summer tour, Univer$al is really missing out on some valuable promotion.

-= N =-

I found a use for a Millennium Collection CD. Back when John Entwhistle died, I found myself totally lacking anything by The Who except for an old LP copy of TOMMY. So I found a Millennium Collection disc by The Who for less than $10 containing most of their memorable tunes (for me, anyway). Serves my needs...

Harry
...looking at the positives, online...

I've got the Who's GREATEST HITS on CD, with 13 tracks. Wonder if the Millenium Collection has the same ones, or perhaps fewer. Most of those MC items have 10 to 12 trax at the most.
JB
NP: "Won't Get Fooled Again" -

The track list from the Millennium Collection by The Who is:

1. My Generation
2. Happy Jack
3. I Can See for Miles
4. Magic Bus
5. Pinball Wizard
6. Squeeze Box
7. Behind Blue Eyes
8. Who Are You
9. Join Together
10. Won't Get Fooled Again

I saw larger and more expensive titles, but as a barely casual fan, these serve my needs.

Harry

I'd almost recommend Who's Next as a "greatest hits" album...I think it will stand as their best album, and most of the songs on there have been rock radio staples for years. Or even Live at Leeds which covers the hits and is probably one of the all-time best live rock albums ever made.

There are some good tracks on that collection. (I have all but "Squeeze Box".) Too bad they didn't squeeze on a couple more tracks, like "Eminence Front" or "You Better, You Bet".

"Behind Blue Eyes", I think, is one of their best songs.

-= N =-[/i]

No wonder somebody traded in this GREATEST HITS; "See For Miles" isn't on it. Thankfully I've only got $2 and sales tax invested in it (light scuff marks don't affect play).
Tracks: Substitute/ the Seeker/ Magic Bus/ My Generation/ Pinball Wizard/ Happy Jack/ Won't Get Fooled ../ My Wife/ Squeeze Box/ the Relay/ 5:15/ Love Reign O'er me/ Who are You.

JB
NP: Melvin Van Peebles DON'T PLAY US CHEAP -

Some overlap...but the Millenium set leaves out "Love Reign O'er Me," another favorite of mine.

Can't have it all, I guess. When I finally get all my Who CDs together, I'll be able to make one nice compilation of my own.

-= N =-

Hope they don't release a TJB Millenium Collection. Their catalog is in bad enough shape as it is. Those CDs can be much better than they are. The problem is that there are too few tracks. I try to refrain from CDs less than 15 tracks, unless it's a reissue. I only own one Millenium Collection - Jr. Walker & the All Stars. And I'm going to stick with only one. Joe, still disgusted with Universal

I think DEF HITS could be called the "Herb Alpert Millenium Collection By Another Name."

They're also releasing a Millenium COllection for A&M/IRS act The Payloa$, the band Bob Rock was in (with Paul Hyde) before he became a superstar Rock and Roll producer... Worth getting only because it'll be the only way to get Payola$ tunes on CD...

--Mr Bill
www.irscorner.com/pq/payola.html

Deaf Hits could be a Millenium Collection...if they cut out half the tracks. :confused: Fortunately it appears the deal was made so a label couldn't put out low-buck compilations of Herb's recordings.

Never did make the connection with Bob Rock of Payola$ vs. the producer Bob Rock. Probably can find their CD at a decent price online...

-= N =-
...thinking Patrick D. Martin needs a collection...of anything...

Consider that Def Hits contains 20 tracks, twice the usual number in a Millenium Collection CD. It also costs about twice as much. And Herb is really two, ...two, ...two artists in one, TJB and solo. The only wrinkle is that TJB got 13 tracks, and the solo stuff got 7. 12 and 8 if you count "This Guy's..." as a solo track.

Harry
...noting that at least there's no Universal "logo" on Def Hits, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom