Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Music Box
Various Artists

SP 19006

sp19006.jpg

Side One:

My Heart Belongs To Daddy - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass (from 4134)
Look Around - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 (from 4137)
Wind Song - Wes Montgomery (from 3006)
Cancion De Amor (Wanderlove) - The Sandpipers (from 4147)
Green Peppers - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass (from 4110)

Side Two:

Brasilia - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass (from 4114)
The Lovers - Jimmie Rodgers (from 4130)
Fowl Play - Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band (from 4136)
It's Hard To Say Goodbye - Claudine Longet (from 4142)
Bo-Bo - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass (from 4124)

Produced as a promotional album in conjunction with BankAmericard

Art Direction: TOM WILKES / Front Cover Illustration: DAVE WILLARDSON / Front Cover Photography: JIM McCRARY / Back Cover Photography: JIM McCRARY, BARRY FEINSTEIN and GUY WEBSTER

This recording employs the HAECO-CSG System and may be played either monaurally or stereophonically. Write for a free full color A&M Record Catalogue / A&M Records, 1416 N. La Brea, Hollywood, California 90028.

This entry in the 19xxx series is one that I missed all those years ago. I'd seen it advertised on TV, but rationalized that even though it had more TjB product on it, I had all of the songs elsewhere. It wasn't until about four years or so ago that I actually obtained a copy - and that was through our late friend Wendell.

I like this album. It's got four pretty nifty TjB tracks, a good BMB track, one of the best that Claudine ever did (a Roger Nichols song), and it has on its back cover one of my favorite Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 photos:

B66MusBox.jpg

This album, done with the dreaded HAECO-CSG system, gives one a chance to hear the TjB's tracks done with that processing. I think that The Brass Are Comin' is the only actual TjB album to receive that dubious distinction. Even though the bulk of the Greatest Hits series had it, Herb's didn't.

Harry
NP: Music Box

I remember seeing the album and its cover in several places over the years -- flea markets, record conventions, once even in an oldies store in Britain(!) (as a "U.S. import").

This is my FAVORITE compilations in all the 19000-series. Maybe my SECOND, after Family Portrait.

Seems to be the most well put-together set. Especially bookending each LP side with some good TjB tracks.

Sergio Mendes' & Brasil '66's "Look Around" seems ideal as a second track. It's a trip to hear it followed by Wes Montgomery's "Wind Song" and then The Sandpipers' "Cancion de Amor (Wanderlove)", sung in Spanish.

I like having another copy of Jimmie Rodgers' "The Lovers" by Rod McKuen--that song is STILL hard to learn all the words to. Claudine's "It's Hard To say Goodbye" is a good next-to-last-track, as well.

Dave

...enjoying a good and ideal AOTW right now! on a peaceful Sunday Morn...

I have mixed feelings about this album. The material,save the Longet and Rodgers cuts,were more than familiar to me. After the 16 tracks on FAMILY PORTRAIT,MUSIC BOX seemed a bit skimpy and ,though they are good selections,four TJB cuts(out of ten total) did not help expand anyone's interest in new artists. Eight of the ten tracks published by Almo/Irving and another track penned by Sergio Mendes through Berna Music. The cover is lively,though. The painted portaits of the artists looks like it was actually pasted into the top of the music box and there seem to be a couple of wrinkles on the bottom. Mine was purchased 10/28/69 at a PNB(Philadelphia National Bank) branch where they were peddling the BankAmericaCard,later Visa. They probably wouldn't have given an unemployed college student a card in 1969 but nowadays credit card companies glut college campuses to get the kids hooked and in debt early. PNB would later use the services of Stan Freberg for advertising the cards with a Superman spoof,SuperCharger("Carrying one card keeps your wallet thin-great for wearing these tights."). BTW,I have a sealed copy of MUSIC BOX-maybe start the bidding for this "ultra-rare,not available in record stores"sampler on eBay at $100.00. Mac

Mac: make sure, like one eBay seller I know of, that you let bidders know how "STUNNING!!" it is. :D Several times, of course. :wink:

This one does seem to be a "runt of the litter" for song choices, but actually, it was more for folks who may have known A&M or its artists incidentally and were lured to BankAmericard by way of this album.

"Stunning"? Yeah,my copy is stunning. If held to the light at the right angle,the shrink wrap will bounce light off of it and stun you. If I had a case of them and it fell on a person-that would bring the desired "stunning" effect. Then again,if my copy was tossed like a frisbee that would give a stunning effect. Mac

jimac51 said:
another track penned by Sergio Mendes through Berna Music

Berna Music. Wasn't that affiliated with Rodra Music which was also associated with compositions recorded on Mendes' albums? (I know Berna was ASCAP whereas Rodra was BMI.)

My dad had this album. Had forgotten the name of it until I stumbled upon it while searching the forums. I *do* recall the album cover having the "BankAmericard" logo on the cover.

Anyone know if Claudine Longet's "It's Hard To Say Goodbye" is available for individual purchase?

I remember seeing this album advertised on TV I think, and asking my dad to check at a local store where supposedly they had it. They did, and he brought it home -- I think the cost was $1.99.

I was already a TJB and Baja fan by the time this came out, but hadn't heard all their albums -- just Going Places, Whipped Cream and What Now My Love, I think -- so "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" and "Bo-Bo" were new to me. Because of this album, I've always felt like the lead-off song on Herb Alpert's Ninth should have been "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" -- it actually leads off side two of that album.

This record was also my introduction to Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66. I was hooked immediately. In retrospect I'm glad they used one of Sergio's more uptempo songs with English lyrics -- if they'd used, say, "So Many Stars" or "Like A Lover" I might not have been hooked, since at that time I was more partial to the faster tunes.

The Sandpipers tune has grown on me over the years. It has an exceptionally beautiful melody. I'd call it one of my Sandpipers favorites today.

I never did like the Claudine Longet song here and if this is one of her best, I'm glad I never bought any of her albums! She's just (as Rudy sometimes says) "not my cuppa."

Overall -- a pretty good album and one I tended to wear out pretty well back in the day.

Although just a young child, I too was already hooked on Herb Alpert and TJB when my father brought this album home. I instantly fell in love with the sound of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, too; this was my first exposure to latin music.

My father passed away many years ago; not sure what ever happened to this album. At least I've able to find most of the tracks online...except "Bo-Bo" (from the "Sounds Like" album, I think) and "It's Hard To Say Goodbye". I can't say I'm a fan of Claudine Longet's singing ... but I find the song's melody and arrangement to be superb. Too bad someone with a voice like Karen Carpenter didn't sing it.

MUSIC BOX is a place to find the "wet" or full mix of "Brasilia" with all of its parts, unlike the version on CDs. The only problem with it is the CSG processing used here.

Harry

Thanks, Harry! I saw those on YouTube.com just prior to my post. Was hoping to obtain/purchase HQ audio versions.

I followed your link to herbalpertpresents.com. Wow, what a *beautiful* site!!!

Having been reminded of MUSIC BOX in the Claudine thread, I've uploaded my "remaster" of the MUSIC BOX album to YouTube.

This "remaster" takes all of the tracks from CDs acquired over the years, and one needle drop of "Brasilia" to maintain mix authenticity. This will allow you to hear the album without the dreaded CSG processing.

[Sorry - something went wrong with this video. I may upload it again at a later date.]

please-stand-by copy.jpg

Last edited:
Having been reminded of MUSIC BOX in the Claudine thread, I've uploaded my "remaster" of the MUSIC BOX album to YouTube.

This "remaster" takes all of the tracks from CDs acquired over the years, and one needle drop of "Brasilia" to maintain mix authenticity. This will allow you to hear the album without the dreaded CSG processing.

Thank you Harry this album was the first of these A&M comps I ever heard I saw it at the local library at first and I checked it out often until I was able to get my own this was around 1984 and this was very easy to find as where I lived at the time we had a lot of thrift shop's. Second hand stores etc. I was fortunate to score a lot of A&M vinyl back then not just Herb and BMB

Harry, I'm getting a "Video unavailable", and it isn't showing up for me on your YouTube page either. Did you pull the album, or could YouTube be geoblocking it?

Harry, I'm getting a "Video unavailable", and it isn't showing up for me on your YouTube page either. Did you pull the album, or could YouTube be geoblocking it?

There is something quirky about this YouTube video - and you might be onto something about geoblocking. I see the video as posted above, but it appears to NOT be inmy "channel's" list of videos. Don't know why. Perhaps they're still evaluating the copyrights. I got notices about all of the tracks except Jimmie Rodgers. I guess Universal hasn't a clue who that even is.

There is something quirky about this YouTube video - and you might be onto something about geoblocking. I see the video as posted above, but it appears to NOT be inmy "channel's" list of videos. Don't know why. Perhaps they're still evaluating the copyrights. I got notices about all of the tracks except Jimmie Rodgers. I guess Universal hasn't a clue who that even is.
And to add to the quirkiness, I found a crackly needle drop of "Music Box" on YouTube, in all it's CSG'd glory, that somebody else uploaded three years ago. No geoblock on that video. Sometimes YouTube makes no sense at all.

The CD versions are more likely to be a digital "match" for what YouTube scans for in a copyright search, vs. a record with "flaws" in it. I noticed once when I tried to upload some of the Chris Montez tracks from one of the compilation CDs, all were flagged and removed. (Yet Universal themselves can supply the same tracks to YouTube...??) It's weird. Unless it's a full needle drop of something rare, I don't even bother with uploading after that incident. I'm surprised my Something Festive remained up there.

Back
Top Bottom