Music Volume 3 - Herb Alpert Reimagines the Tijuana Brass

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Captaindave, Jul 18, 2018.

1. martin

martin Active Member

I have also found that the album grows on me. I found it, as I said, very entertaining from the very first listening, but later I have discovered that there is more to it than that. It is both fun, and at times moving (America and Spanish Harlem) and as Rudy said, it does not take away the originals, they can not really be competed with. I made a playlist with the reimagined tracks combined with the originals and that was very rewarding, both in the appreciation of the originals and in the appreciation of the reimagination. I tend to think of it as Herb going out with a new TJB and playing the songs for a 2018 audience. It would have to sound something like that.

- greetings from the north -
    Martin

2. martin

martin Active Member

I am in the L.A. area this days and was able to get the CD from Amoeba music in Hollywood today. It's a very nice package but I noticed that Pat Senatore was not mentioned on the "Thank you"- list with all the musicians playing on the TJB records. It is obviously just a mistake, but a little bit sad for him, I think. I have often seen him at the Vibrato Club on my previous visits here, and he has always seemed quite happy to chat about the TJB days

- greetings from L.A. -
    Martin

Bobberman likes this.
  3. Captaindave

Captaindave Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have wondered exactly what the "A Special Thank You To These Great Musicians" actually means. Many of those names mentioned are associated with the session players known as the "Wrecking Crew".

Did Pat Senatore actually play on the TJB songs that are represented on the Music Volume 3 album? It seems to me that many of these songs are from that period of time when the music was provided by Wrecking Crew members that were doing sessions in the 1960s. Nick Ceroli, Bob Edmondson, and John Pisano are the names that are listed that were members of the TJB as pictured on albums from Going Places onward. However, I have never associated them with the Wrecking Crew; but they may have done some playing.

My memory tells me that Julius Wechter provided the marimba sounds for all TJB recordings.

I know this discussion has come up before as to who played when, and on what specific songs and albums. There is also no mention of Tonni Kalash nor Lou Pagani in that list of credits. Herb Alpert is usually credited with providing all the trumpet parts on all the original recordings.

I don't pretend to know the answer, but I do think that it has been established at some point in previous discussions that the touring TJB as pictured on albums from Going Places forward did play in the studio, with maybe with some additional musicians here and there. I think that Julius Wechter provided the marimba any time you hear that instrument anywhere.

The recordings prior to Going Places mostly used the Wrecking Crew.

toeknee4bz likes this.
  4. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

This is correct. The musicians who got credit on the new album are the ones who appeared on the original albums from Going Places forward -- some of that music is sampled in the new album. Herb used Wrecking Crew musicians throughout the TJB's career whenever he felt like one of them could give him the exact sound he wanted. As he put it in an interview, some players are better at certain types of rhythms than others.

There has been speculation as to Tonni Kalash's role in the studio. He is listed as a player on the session records, but Herb has verified that he himself played all the trumpet parts (except in orchestras, like on "Carmen.") We've guessed that Tonni did play in the studio, to give Herb someone to play off of; but then Herb recorded the second parts himself.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  5. martin

martin Active Member

Yes, that is a possible explanation of course, but I believe Pat was part of the very first Tjb line up at the Crescendo date, and he obviously played on sone of the later TJB albums.

Greetings from L.A
    Martin

Bobberman likes this.
  6. As Pat was a bass player, and much of the original bass lines have been replaced/enhanced, perhaps all of his playing has been removed. ? Just a thought.