Music Volume 3 - Herb Alpert Reimagines the Tijuana Brass

Apparently our old friend Captain B. is unimpressed. His review on Amazon is scathing!
I read that review just now and I understand he didn't like it at all but not everybody has the same tastes and likes needless to say we do Miss Captain B. And His insights we don't have to agree on everything But We can be agreeable regardless of all circumstances. Getting back on topic. I agree with you all concerning Spanish flea/Rise granted Rise is only represented by the opening beat pretty much but for me it's not really an issue as I mentioned previously Green peppers Along with Whipped Cream and El Presidente really stood out as well as Wade in the water. I still feel the Essence of the Brass Sound intact on this CD and it is what it is and I have a feeling Herb is Already at work planning for his next Recording. And it will be interesting to see what he comes Up with next.

USPS lost my CD! Agggh! I filed a complaint. Not sure what that will get me. I’m sure they put it in the wrong box. If I have to reorder, the post office better be refunding me my $21.17. :realmad:

If you bought it from Amazon, put in a complaint that you never received it. They might send you a new one. (I don't know if they use USPS though, so this may be a moot point, but whoever you bought it from, inform them!)

They do use USPS for the final customer delivery. If they put the key in the wrong mailbox there's a chance i might get it. I'll see if they can make it good before notifying Amazon.

Last time I had an Amazon package go awry Amazon replaced it. Package left our local warehouse across town and went to Henderson, Nevada, and was never heard from again. (Even packages want a Vegas vacation!) :D

Last time I had an Amazon package go awry Amazon replaced it. Package left our local warehouse across town and went to Henderson, Nevada, and was never heard from again. (Even packages want a Vegas vacation!) :D
I had one just prior to my last road trip--had an idler pulley due to arrive a week before so I could replace it. The part showed up at an Amazon warehouse about 45 minutes away. For days I waited--no tracking info, no movement, nothing. Ended up contacting them and they refunded for the order. How the part could just get lost so close to home makes me wonder sometimes. And the irony is that it was a Prime shipment.

I haven't ordered CDs from them in quite a few years, but I believe mine came USPS at the time. Much of what I order now actually comes from a local Amazon facility, and it is delivered by one of their drivers. For other stuff, they use the UPS/USPS program where UPS bulk delivers to the post office, who then does the "last mile" delivery.

For other stuff, they use the UPS/USPS program where UPS bulk delivers to the post office, who then does the "last mile" delivery.
Ive noticed That's how Some of my Amazon orders get to me and so far everything I ordered from them always arrived.

After thinking this over, I have another theory. If you listen to a lot of Badazz compositions, it seems like the rhythm (or "groove") is just as important as the melody in his composing style.
This brings up a fantasy I've had for a while, and that is to learn of Herb's early 80s work with Randy and others being remixed/re-imagined for the 21st century. Stuff like "Kamali", "Reach For The Stars", and of course "Red Hot" (among others) would be exciting with some fresh modifications. Some other early 80s Herb stuff ("Route 101", "Push And Pull", "Latin Lady", "Oriental Eyes", "Garden Party", etc.) would be interesting to hear with a 21st century treatment as well. Of course, it'll never happen. But I know of a few people who might enjoy these rarities given a new spin.

they use the UPS/USPS program where UPS bulk delivers to the post office, who then does the "last mile" delivery.
We get a mixture of that here. We get a lot of Amazon deliveries here at the store -- they have sometimes 'saved our bacon' when our warehouse didn't have an item, or didin't have enough of it, but the thing was available on Amazon (usually at a higher price, but when you gotta save your bacon, you deal with that). For CDs, which I don't get all that many, but 100% of them have always been delivered directly here by Fed Ex or UPS. So I'm not sure what drives the different procedures in different areas. Cost, I suppose.

Amazon differs with Prime vs. non-Prime shipping, I noticed. With Prime, it of course ships immediately and they will use any means (the cheapest method) to get it there on time. Without Prime, though, it can sit for days in their warehouse until they get it moving--that is why expected receiving dates are pushed out a week or more.

I get stuff from RockAuto fairly quick. I did quite a bit of business with them this year, actually, and had the parts arrive just in time to where I was ready to work on something.

Well, the USPS came through. (Neither rain nor snow nor misplaced locker keys...) Carrier found it and it’s now (theoretically) in my mailbox. We’ll see when I get home. :)

Well, the USPS came through. (Neither rain nor snow nor misplaced locker keys...) Carrier found it and it’s now (theoretically) in my mailbox. We’ll see when I get home. :)
Aah yes, and let the listening commence! :thumbsup:

I'd really like to like this album. I like Herb's playing on it. I like some aspects of some of the arrangements. I was pleased that much of it seemed to be new recordings rather than just remixed TJB tracks. But I just can't get past the incessant, repetitive, thudding bass. It just overwhelms any musicality that's otherwise present in the album. I actually find it tiresome to listen to, and I can't say that about any of Herb's previous albums. Even ones where I didn't connect with a musical style or approach, they were always well mixed and listenable. This one, to me, isn't. I look forward to whatever Herb comes out with next - but this one is going on the shelf.

I like this! Now I tend to play music loud in my car and that’s where I was listening. My favorite at this point is “The Lonely Bull”. I could see this as a movie theme - something along the lines of The Magnificent Seven.

There are two that really stand out for me. "Wade In The Water" has such an unusual arrangement that it's IMHO one of the better tracks on the album.

"America" apparently polarizes a lot of people, just as our country does these days. It was done in a somber, minor key on purpose--it's an instrumental "message song" of sorts. Other musicians I know (even instrumentals, like jazz) have been doing similar the past couple of years, even if they evoke those emotions only through song titles. This very well could be a commentary on how Herb is seeing the country in 2018. Very subtle. I don't know if that was his intention, but that is how it comes across to me.

That is one of my favorite songs--my favorite from West Side Story, and also in the TJB catalog in its original version, as it sounds like one big party. Yet if you go back to the original lyrics, it is not all fun and games--one side is telling us how great America is, while the other is pointing out reality, a continuous back and forth of positive vs. negative. So "America" (the song) is not always what it is cracked up to be...

I'd really like to like this album. I like Herb's playing on it. I like some aspects of some of the arrangements. I was pleased that much of it seemed to be new recordings rather than just remixed TJB tracks. But I just can't get past the incessant, repetitive, thudding bass. It just overwhelms any musicality that's otherwise present in the album. I actually find it tiresome to listen to, and I can't say that about any of Herb's previous albums. Even ones where I didn't connect with a musical style or approach, they were always well mixed and listenable. This one, to me, isn't. I look forward to whatever Herb comes out with next - but this one is going on the shelf.
I did notice that a lot of the rhythm tracks sounded largely the same. It was like a funky shuffle rhythm for the most part. But still enjoyable as the songs and original performances were so good. I tend to think about the new arrangements as I did with the remixes done back in the 80s. Some better, others not so much. We all have our preferences. But it's great to hear fresh takes on old classics nonetheless. At least this album wasn't so weird like the RE-WHIPPED album was. Many of those tracks were so out there that it was hardly recognizable what song was playing. If I had to pick, I'd choose Volume 3 any day.

At least this album wasn't so weird like the RE-WHIPPED album was. Many of those tracks were so out there that it was hardly recognizable what song was playing. If I had to pick, I'd choose Volume 3 any day.
They may sound similar to an extent, but the execution was a lot different, and that is why Music Vol 3 is an easier and more recognizable listen for many of us. :)

With remixes (not just on Rewhipped, but for anyone these days), you are essentially handing off your work to a third party and have little to no input on what the outcome is. Each remix artist has their own style so for instance, someone familiar with Thievery Corporation would recognize their remix style on Herb's album like they would recognize a Thievery remix on any other artist's songs. In other words, the outcome is based on Thievery Corp's work created from sampling Herb's music (with some new solos overdubbed on top of it), vs. Music Vol 3 having Herb build up new tracks himself with the guidance of the producer...and at least here, he is sampling himself. Big difference there. :)

And I could also add that the traditional TJB fans were likely not the intended target for Rewhipped. If it brought new listeners back to enjoy the original recordings, then it's a win for everyone.

They may sound similar to an extent, but the execution was a lot different, and that is why Music Vol 3 is an easier and more recognizable listen for many of us. :)

With remixes (not just on Rewhipped, but for anyone these days), you are essentially handing off your work to a third party and have little to no input on what the outcome is. Each remix artist has their own style so for instance, someone familiar with Thievery Corporation would recognize their remix style on Herb's album like they would recognize a Thievery remix on any other artist's songs. In other words, the outcome is based on Thievery Corp's work created from sampling Herb's music (with some new solos overdubbed on top of it), vs. Music Vol 3 having Herb build up new tracks himself with the guidance of the producer...and at least here, he is sampling himself. Big difference there. :)

And I could also add that the traditional TJB fans were likely not the intended target for Rewhipped. If it brought new listeners back to enjoy the original recordings, then it's a win for everyone.

Good explanation.

I will always be a traditional TJB fan. The original versions of these songs will always be the best to me, no matter how or what kind of updating or rearranging is done.

But I do like Music Volume 3 - most of it about equally well. It is, to me, an enjoyable listening experience.

I think it works well. In fact, other than "America" (like Mike), I pretty much like this whole album a lot. I just find that last track a little weak.

I like the whole album very much.
Accustomed to the original tracks you have to get used to the new arrangements. But every time I play the album again I like it more. America included. It's far from the original track, but as nice as Imagine on Music Volume 1 as an easy ending of the album.

"America" has grown on me. I now find it a satisfactory conclusion.

Another that didn't really grab me initially is "Spanish Harlem". Now I find it something really special. Love the harmony in the arrangement.

The original versions of these songs will always be the best to me, no matter how or what kind of updating or rearranging is done.
That is one thing for some fans to keep in mind with any new project that is a remix or a reimagining, as was done here--nobody is taking the originals away from us! I don't follow them but I've heard of some Beatles fans getting all bent out of shape from the Love compilation and I think there were also two recent remixed albums. The originals aren't going anywhere, and the new versions are there for others to enjoy. :thumbsup:

Which is also a reminder to buy the original versions (of anything) while they are still available.

In the past decade or so, someone in the Genesis fold decided that all of their past albums should be remixed and reissued. The Phil Collins era remixes are mostly horrible (the Peter Gabriel era are actually a little cleaner)--compressed, with poor mixes pushing everything forward, and then it's all brickwalled during mastering.

The bad part of this? They decided that these are the versions which will be available to everyone from here on out; the only way to get the original mixes are to buy the earlier CDs (first pressings, or the Definitive Edition remasters), and those are going to get harder to find over the years! I have mine, but any newcomer in future years won't be so lucky.

While the original TJBs will never be remixed (quite the opposite--Randy took good care to preserve the originals as closely as possible to the original album releases), we can never take for granted that they will always be available. While I haven't purchased the CDs, I do have all of the high-res downloads plus the vinyl releases. No regrets!

While the original TJBs will never be remixed (quite the opposite--Randy took good care to preserve the originals as closely as possible to the original album releases), we can never take for granted that they will always be available. While I haven't purchased the CDs, I do have all of the high-res downloads plus the vinyl releases. No regrets!
I totally agree and Again a Special Thanks to Randy for his Good Stewardship in his work with all the Reissues I have at least one digital copy of everything Except JYAM which is still A neeedledrop and I recently ripped it into my laptop Megamix with excellent results and No Regrets here either.

I have all the original vinyl and in a few cases, two copies (but no turntable to play them), and all the Shout Factory CDs. Warm and Volume 2 were downloads. I have a Longines Symphonette Society box set. That box set, plus Going Places, was my introduction about 1965 to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. The box set contains the first four Tijuana Brass albums, and an album of selected Baja Marimba Band songs.

Music Volume 3 is the only CD I have that is a Herb Alpert Presents CD.

I doubt that I would be able to detect any sonic difference between the Herb Alpert Presents and the Shout Factory versions, probably due to the limitations of the playback hardware that I currently have available.

"America" has grown on me. I now find it a satisfactory conclusion.

Another that didn't really grab me initially is "Spanish Harlem". Now I find it something really special. Love the harmony in the arrangement.

Yes, Spanish Harlem shows some great arranging talent and execution. Very pleasant for listening. Well done, Herb! Another standout for me is Bittersweet Samba. This song has amazing new material from Herb on trumpet, and very catchy rhythms and harmonic phrases.

Back
Top Bottom