"My Body Keeps Changing It's Mind" - Perfect for M

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit1234

Although this may not be directly related to the Carpenters, I thought I'd share....

While listening to Karen's solo album the other day, it hit me how well suited "My Body Keeps Changing It's Mind" would have been for Michael Jackson (save for a few lyrical references) if he recorded it during his OFF THE WALL era. The track is an exuberant piece of disco that totally encapsulates the reservations a young person has when faced with the conundrum of taking that next step into adulthood.

Like Michael, Karen was sort of a manchild herself... it' too bad those two never got around to laying down a track together....

Amit....comparing other similarities between Michael Jackson and Karen Carpenter....online

I always thought the song "Lovelines" sounded like something from "Off the Wall"- with all the layered vocals and the style of them. Does anyone know whether it (Lovelines) was recorded before or after MJ did the tracks for that album?
Mark

I don't know that I would have liked hearing Karen and Michael Jackson singing together at all. We certainly know who would have wanted to carry the 'high' parts...Michael himself. Karen herself has said that her $$$$ voice is 'in the basement '(lower Alto range) or something to that effect according to the Coleman book. I think that she can (could) sing rings around most vocalists in whatever range she chose to use simlpy due to the fact that she had a HUGE range at her disposal.

Go Karen !

They both are loaded with talent although I think that Karen's vocals carry a purity that Michael hasn't been able to match in a number of years. Don't get me wrong, I think Michael Jackson has (had) a GREAT voice, but he has not evolved vocally very well at all. His music has gotten lost by way of too much 'noise' in his songs in his last few albums. I personally think that Karen knew without question how to use her voice to fit any particular song, where Michael has been to busy building complex backing to almost ovethrow what he has left of his original vocal talent. It's a shame for Michael, really. So many bad things have come into his life for whatever reason.....

Doesn't matter. I still prefer Karen's voice over Michael's anytime, anywhere. Always have, always will.

I think even the thought of Karen Carpenter teaming up with Michael Jackson would be wacky!I know Frank Sinatra teamed up with alot of Top 40 stars for his "Duets" album(1993),but that was a last-ditched effort to revive his career.Karen absolutely doesn't sound good in contemporary top-40 settings!The slower the music,the better she sounds!To use Barbra Streisand as an example,I would say that disco duet she did with Donna Summer is probably the worst track she recorded in her career-it sounds horrible! Like Karen,Barbra is at her best in slow settings!Trying to throw two different types of singers together on the same record just doesn't work.Of course,Karen sounds great with Ella Fitzgerald on the "Karen/Ella Medley" because they're both same type of singer.

Hi

Good topic, I myself have always thought this song is reminiscent of Off The Wall...

...the reason being, if you listen to the song 'It's The Falling In Love', it sounds like the melody for that line (sung by Michael) has been stolen from the intro music to 'My Body' (the notes the violin plays immediately after the drum intro - listen to it, it's exactly the same)

plus the horns and brass are identical, punctuating the chorus in the background!

When I first heard Off The Wall, I was like 'what's going on, this is Karen's song!!'. Of course, I think it's just the style of music at that time.

Stephen

Rod Temperton wrote Lovelines. He also wrote several songs for Michael Jackson. Perhaps this is the reason, that those songs sound so similar?

Bruno
who enjoyed the THRILLER album in the Eighties, but dislikes Michael Jackson as a person

Bruno - You dislike Michael Jackson as a person?

What kind of comment is that? Like you've met the guy? Gimme a break.

Amit ....who loves Michael Jackson's music and all the good he has done for those less fortunate in this world. :)

newvillefan said:
Hi

Good topic, I myself have always thought this song is reminiscent of Off The Wall...

...the reason being, if you listen to the song 'It's The Falling In Love', it sounds like the melody for that line (sung by Michael) has been stolen from the intro music to 'My Body' (the notes the violin plays immediately after the drum intro - listen to it, it's exactly the same)

plus the horns and brass are identical, punctuating the chorus in the background!

When I first heard Off The Wall, I was like 'what's going on, this is Karen's song!!'. Of course, I think it's just the style of music at that time.

Stephen

newvillefan - I completely forgot about the similarities between "It's The Falling In Love" and "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind". You're right - the melody is very similar!

I just found another Karen/Mike similarity. Tom Bahler (Karen's exboyfriend) wrote "She's Out Of My Life" which appeared on OFF THE WALL. Could it be possible that this hit song was actually about Karen?

amit1234 wrote:

"What kind of comment is that? Like you've met the guy? Gimme a break. "
Be nice! Bruno is just as entitled to his opinion as you are to yours. Please keep ugly remarks to yourself.

Dan

engineer said:
amit1234 wrote:

"What kind of comment is that? Like you've met the guy? Gimme a break. "
Be nice! Bruno is just as entitled to his opinion as you are to yours. Please keep ugly remarks to yourself.

Dan

My remark wasn't ugly. Maybe you need to read it again.

Let's stop the personal bickering and stay on-topic, shall we?

Harry

amsecure.jpg

mstaft said:
I always thought the song "Lovelines" sounded like something from "Off the Wall"- with all the layered vocals and the style of them.

A lot of "Off The Wall's" songs were written by Rod Temperton, as was "Lovelines". I've heard Temperton's songs done by others (he was a member of Heatwave also, IIRC) and they've had a similar sound to them as well. Ramone's production could inadvertently have ended up sounding like Quincy Jones' on Off The Wall.

My Body Keeps Changing My Mind
is a solo fav of mine! The style
of music has such a drastic
contrast from Carpenters material.
As far as a Karen, M Jackson duo,
its a stretch for my imagination.
I would love to know how all the
recording methods were combined
on Love Lines. The vocal layering
is so precise! So much sound from
one voice. Love Lines was a unique
project but there is nothing like
the original Carpenters magic.

HUMAN NATURE from the album THRILLER was co-written by John Bettis, if I remember this right. Nice song.

By the way: Does anybody know, what Rod Temperton is doing nowadays?

Bruno

Harry said:
Let's stop the personal bickering and stay on-topic, shall we?

Harry

amsecure.jpg

LOL Harry...you're the best.

Bruno - Not sure what Rod Temperton is doing these days...I'll try to find out though...

Amit .... looking forward to Michael Jackson's '#1's' album coming in the 4th quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom