My Favorite Things (the two 45 versions)

TallPaulInKy

My Favorite Things was issued on mono 45s in 1968 on A&M 1001 and then again in 1969 on A&M 1015. I don't have either single, they had different B sides.
Is there any difference in the mono singles from the album? Does the singles start with the chorus O's or cold with the TRJB playing? I tried searching the past threads for an answer..but didn't see it addressed.

Try the link now. It had a google appendage added.

Now, as to the singles, I think I have at least some light to shed on the situation. If I read my matrix numbers correctly, the song on 1001 was that record's b-side (to "The Christmas Song"). That 45 has the choral "oo's".

On 1015, it was likely the a-side with the lower matrix number (1600 in both cases). I don't hear much difference from the stereo version on "My Favorite Things", but both "The Christmas Song" and "She Touched Me" have sections that are more reverbed than their stereo counterparts.

Now that I'm home, I find the situation more confusing. The copy I have of (1001) came in a picture sleeve, and the "My Favorite Things" side of the picture sleeve has the higher side of the envelope opening. That usually indicates an A-side. Also it has a Sharpie mark of an "X" under the "My Favorite Things title. The disc has the same "X" mark on the label, which radio people used to mark the "plug" side of a single.

The matrix numbers on (1001) would indicate the opposite. "The Christmas Song" is matrix (1599) while "My Favorite Things" is (1600).

The later single (1015) that I have is not marked by hand in any way, but has "My Favorite Things" again as matrix (1600) with "She Touched Me" as (1626).

Clear as mud...

Back
Top Bottom