My first post: Yesterday Once More - UK 1984 Compilation

Interesting to learn that the Karen Carpenter Story was shown on New Year’s Eve 1989. Was it on ITV? I’ve checked the BBC Genome website and no sign of it shown by the BBC. There were a fair few 1980s retrospectives on that evening - it’s somehow comforting to know that this biopic was a big draw and led the way for the revival.

I definitely did watch it on the night, but somehow it had completely slipped my mind about exactly when it was.

Interesting to learn that the Karen Carpenter Story was shown on New Year’s Eve 1989. Was it on ITV? I’ve checked the BBC Genome website and no sign of it shown by the BBC. There were a fair few 1980s retrospectives on that evening - it’s somehow comforting to know that this biopic was a big draw and led the way for the revival.

I definitely did watch it on the night, but somehow it had completely slipped my mind about exactly when it was.

It was indeed an ITV showing. I can't find much about it either and my memory is not serving me well on this one. I recall it being a very slightly cut down edit from the full length version we now often see on YouTube. Interestingly, there seems to have been little competition on the other channels that night, so it would be fascinating to know what kind of ratings it achieved.

I do remember it also being shown a few times on ITV through the 90's. Sunday teatime slots if I recall correctly.

I suppose the film then acquired a kind of cult status among certain groups through the 90's, at least in the UK.

Interesting to learn that the Karen Carpenter Story was shown on New Year’s Eve 1989. Was it on ITV?

Yes it was on ITV - I remember that had been the year I'd discovered them and I excitedly rallied my entire family round the TV to watch it. I recorded it on VHS and fell in love with the duo even more after seeing it and watched it repeatedly in the weeks that followed.

Ten programmes that ushered out the eighties on 31 December 1989

Yes it was on ITV - I remember that had been the year I'd discovered them and I excitedly rallied my entire family round the TV to watch it. I recorded it on VHS and fell in love with the duo even more after seeing it and watched it repeatedly in the weeks that followed.

Ten programmes that ushered out the eighties on 31 December 1989

Oh lord, the VHS tape I recorded that night was worn out a few years later! I think I even re-recorded it when they showed it a few years later, though they had made even further cuts if I remember rightly.

Can you recall what the ratings were? For some reason 13 million keeps popping into my head, though im sure this is a completely false memory, haha.

I've had my off-air VHS copy of THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY from CBS in the US for all these years. One little item that disappeared on subsequent showings was Richard's "Read More About It" segment that immediately followed the movie. It's just a PSA for several books on the subject of anorexia and bulimia, but after viewing the tape many times, it always felt like it belonged:

I've also just bought this "Yesterday Once More" UK compilation CD from that well known auction site (I've had the vinyl LP for many years) ... Two copies previously sold for £140 each (about $180) but I didn't pay that much for mine! I would say it's in quite good condition. (I've also noticed it's a completely different track listing to any other release of this particular compilation!)

Anyway, I wanted to share a link to my Google Drive where you can listen to or download this album should you so wish... This is for fellow fans who might never necessarily be able to get hold of a copy for themselves and would like to hear or have this collection of songs. (I added "Those Good Old Dreams" to the start of my "Made In America" folder and put the remix as a bonus "Single Mix" track!) I've ripped it as 320kbps mp3, which is the highest quality you can rip a CD at.

Yesterday Once More - Google Drive

320kbps mp3, which is the highest quality you can rip a CD at.

Really i ripped my cd's into flac either way thank you for sharing is the version of those good old dreams the one with the false start at the beginning?

320kbps mp3, which is the highest quality you can rip a CD at.

Really i ripped my cd's into flac either way thank you for sharing is the version of those good old dreams the one with the false start at the beginning?

Sorry, I meant highest for a MP3 rip... Although FLAC is better, it takes up so much more space!
False start at the beginning? Which one is that?

Hi Billy, that’s great that you’ve picked up that CD. It’s the best buy of my year so far, so I’m really pleased for you.

I’m biased, but I do prefer the cover art of that version. Others use the same photo but don’t quite look as good. When I first saw the maroon version in the shops, I nearly bought it until I discovered the running order and track listing weren’t the same. I wanted it exactly as I remembered it on vinyl back in 1988 (when I first got into Carpenters) so to have the CD version of it makes it a special item.

Hi Billy, that’s great that you’ve picked up that CD. It’s the best buy of my year so far, so I’m really pleased for you.

I’m biased, but I do prefer the cover art of that version. Others use the same photo but don’t quite look as good. When I first saw the maroon version in the shops, I nearly bought it until I discovered the running order and track listing weren’t the same. I wanted it exactly as I remembered it on vinyl back in 1988 (when I first got into Carpenters) so to have the CD version of it makes it a special item.

I did the exact same thing when I bought mine years ago. They were both in the bin and I wanted the authentic one. Silly fans, right? LOL!

Ed

Back
Top Bottom