My Marantz Anniversary

That eBay listing suffers from what some of us call the Marantz tax. Their vintage components are a "thing" right now, and you can't even find a used one in poor condition for under a few bills. I tried helping a buddy find a 2270 but gave up since prices were escalating rapidly up near the four figure mark. (They were in the $700+ range when I looked a few years ago, and have continued escalating.)

The sad part is that despite this eBay 2230 being cosmetically perfect, the capacitors inside, never having been used, have been sitting for decades and likely will be far out of value. This unit will need a full refurbishing before it is even turned on. (Of course, some fool will buy it, plug it in, then be upset when a fuse pops or smoke comes out of the top--that is a risk with any vintage device that has sat unused.)

I've seen some of the rare black face Marantz from that era. :drool: When put in a nicely finished wood cabinet, they are striking.

That occurred to me too Rudy, the non usage. Mine has been serviced by myself and professionally over the years of course.
I'm curious what will happen when the buyer plugs it in and tries her out..

I agree--that unit is too nice to let it go up in smoke (hopefully not literally!). The seller may not know better, but I would have advised in the listing for the buyer to have it professionally checked out before putting it into use. They can be brought up slowly on a variac to let the capacitors "reform" themselves but even so, electrolytic capacitors tend to have a lifespan of about 20 years, give or take a few years, before their values drift or they become unstable to operate.

The Marantz receivers from that era are keepers! Well built, with a sound quality that eclipsed their original price point. It's just a shame that they've become a fad and the prices have escalated so much--it's great for owners who want to sell, but it's hard for others to get into one of them without paying a small fortune for one. Much as I'd enjoy one in a smaller system, I'd wait until prices calmed down before I would attempt it.

Those old monster Pioneer receivers also fetch a lot of money these days. They're good also, but the Marantz has something extra...

There's multiple phases to Marantz. For me, the only true Marantz receiver which was made with Saul Marantz and Sidney Smith circuit designs and USA made, was the Model 18. Your old Marantz Receiver is a Marantz Japan unit which was 100% Superscope built, then there's Philips, then D&M Holdings, lastly Sound United new gear which bears the name.

I've noticed a lot of cheap looking Marantz recievers on Ebay they produced after mine (1974). I never realized that. Mine must be the end of great ones..

The older Marantz receivers, like the Model 18 and 19, were still built in the USA. Marantz built receivers in Japan and Belgium from the late 60s onward to keep the quality high and the prices affordable. I think they were all of good quality up through about the mid 80s when the company started bouncing around between owners and the bean counters got involved. Those would get away from the classic look of the 70s Marantz receivers.

Here's a holy grail model, a black-face 2385. (185 watts per channel...a beast!) Today you won't find one under $2,500 unless it's a real junker.

1667354318725.png

Even a common 2270 (70 watts/channel) in good condition starts above $1,200 these days. The "Marantz tax," they call it...

1667354566730.png

The Marantz components made today, though, are of similarly high quality. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend those, especially if you can find a deal at a site like https://www.accessories4less.com/ .

1667354826848.png

Great comments Rudy. For years I lived a few blocks away from their Chatsworth, CA headquarters. The building was massive...

My friend's brother was in high school at the time, and was a DJ on our school's radio station. I remember seeing the new system he had bought at the time, and it was centered around a Marantz receiver. First time I'd heard of the name. I'm hoping that he held onto it throughout the years--it's probably worth more now than what he paid for it, even taking inflation into account.

I remember exactly what I paid for my Marantz 2230 on sale brand new in 1974,
265 bux! I'd had a Marantz 2010 which I'd sold for $100...

Anyone remember the ads Marantz used to run in Rolling Stone where a receiver survived a fire?

We sold Marantz for a brief time in the '70s but we sold far more Technics and Pioneer gear.

I remember exactly what I paid for my Marantz 2230 on sale brand new in 1974,
265 bux!
The funny thing is that nobody today would pay $500 for a receiver--it's "too expensive."

Yet in 2022 dollars, that Marantz for $265 would have cost $1,600+ today.

Back
Top Bottom