My Own Carpenter Reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy Listening Defined
Obviously wanting to follow the content of Superstar from a different angle, Richard and John came up with Druscilla Penny. Bluntly, this is a terrible song all around- in my mind their worst ever. The lyric line smugly takes a swing at rock and roll bands and their groupies, just begging for a fight. A&M should have demanded this song be replaced with something else. Ironically, many of these same executives had a purported dislike of Karen and Richard and their music. (See below. Notice who is standing behind Karen and Richard's album? I'd prefer to think the shot was done in good humor.) Maybe allowing this song was a type of silent mutiny. Regardless, this fine album would have been much better without it.
Interesting. I never took "Druscilla Penny" to be a swipe at rock music, but rather a sarcastic attempt at, as you say, seeing "Superstar" in a different light. Was sarcasm the best choice? Probably not. But I do see a fair bit of honesty in the lyrics, the befuddled reaction of someone who could not imagine living that way. While I consider the Beatles' "She's Leaving Home" a vastly superior song, I view this song in much the same way. However, I agree that it's certainly one of their weaker songs, and the album would have benefited from a stronger selection.

Hey byline, welcome to the boards. And thanks for your perspective. We all contribute here from our different angles, and it makes for interesting reading!

First Offering, Along for the Ride
I've been thinking lately it would be fun to take a fresh look at the musical output of the Carpenters disc by disc. Because the music of Karen and Richard has been woven into so much of my younger life, I will simultaneously share some personal stories as I go. The reminiscing has been pretty fun, sometimes not, and has even resulted in new insights. Here's hoping you enjoy what is ahead as I review each album.

Early fall of 1970 was the turning point. Living in Southern California, close to the beach and to Disneyland. Still two of my favorite places. Music was always on somewhere, as my parents were teenagers themselves when I was born- and they loved rock and roll. Growing up on rock, pop, and Motown, (which became my favorite after spending summers with my aunts who loved the Supremes and the Temptations), did not prepare me for what was about to happen.

There I was, just sitting on the bus waiting to take off, and this voice came out of the radio, catching my ear and grabbing my heart. It was very soulful in a whole new way than I was used to recognizing. Suddenly, that was all I could hear. What was that song, but more importantly, who was that singing?

As I quickly discovered, the answers were "We've Only Just Begun" and Karen Carpenter of the Carpenters. Fortunately, I lived three blocks from the local record shop, so off I went. The album was mine- and it stayed on my turntable week after week. Months later, while browsing patiently through the store bins, I discovered an earlier recording and heard a whole new Karen and Richard. Surprisingly different.

It has often been said this was the record Richard had to make. After more than thirty years of hearing it, I am not sure why. Clearly a product of the times and definitely not a bad record, Ticket to Ride, however, does not draw me in or capture my attention. Nor does it compare favorably to anything that came afterwards. Maybe it is the inherent contradictions that create a sense of lacking. Raw yet polished, contemporary yet old fashioned, biting yet sentimental. The change in title and in cover art, due to the success of the single Close to You, plays with these differences. Offering is fully 60s in presentation, while Ticket feels fresh.
I'd never heard this comment before, but I can understand why people would say that. Richard sings, what? Half the songs on this album? Plus this collection of songs is a culmination of all that he had worked toward by that point. To be sure, the presentation is raw, not nearly as polished as their followup album, and strangely enough, that's part of its appeal ... especially in contrast to, what to me is their overly polished, overproduced albums late in their career together. I find it oddly refreshing to hear an imperfect Richard and Karen, but with so much youthful energy and obvious love for what they were doing. The repackaging of "Offering" into "Ticket to Ride" really helped, IMO. As you noted, the first album cover was pure '60s, whereas the new cover was very fresh in a '70s mode. Not only that, but it's one of the few photography sessions where they got it right. Instead of trying to package them as a romantic couple, they were presented as brother and sister. Why they (and by "they" I go well beyond Karen and Richard to A&M's publicity staff, who should have known better) couldn't continue on that path, when they got it right the first time, is beyond me.

Keep me in mind the next few days, as I am trying to finish up my lengthy article which reviews As Time Goes By. I've got to finish it by December- and I've been working on it on and off since March! Should be on my blog soon. I hope.

It's done.

It's lengthy, it's emotional, and like the disc, it's filled with Carpenters history and photos. Writing it has been very personal, as this album is tied to a very interesting time of my life. I hope its an enjoyable read. If nothing else, it's a pretty good and detailed album review with a picture of where the Carpenters were when these songs were recorded and where I was in 2004.

I'll have it on my blog this Friday, November 21, 2014. InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

The review for As Time Goes By is up. I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments. But I'll be taking a break for awhile. I'm beat from too many early days and long nights. Blessings all!

Mstaft,
I greatly enjoyed reading the newest commentary on your blog.
Exceptionally well-written and perceptive, as always!
Thanks for the time and effort of bringing that disc to the notice of a wider audience.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. I hope it does bring some attention to their music.

A much appreciated early Xmas gift to all who come here to keep a candle lit in the window for the greatest singer of our time (and her fantastically talented, all-too-often overlooked older brother). I love the balanced focus on both of them in this essay, and the way the original idea (using As Time Goes By as a lens for their career) is so beautifully carried through. Bravo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom