Nara Leão and "5 Na Bossa"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I stumbled across 5 Na Bossa quite by accident, as part of a search for Edu Lobo’s recordings. For those unfamiliar with it, this album is a live recording on the Philips label from 1965, at the Paramount Theatre in Sao Paulo, featuring Nara Leão, Edu Lobo, and the Tamba Trio (Luiz Eca, Bebeto, Ohana) as a quintet, …
Read the whole post here.

Nara Leao was known as the Muse of Bossa Nova. When she was just a teenager, all the famous Bossa Nova artists would meet at her living room apartment on Copacabana Beach and would socialize and share musical ideas. That must have been quite a scene. She and Elis Regina and Sylvia Telles were the top 3 Brazilian female vocalists of the 1960s.

Rudy, great to see your review on this recording, and those A&M connections are quite interesting. I've been a big fan of Nara Leao for many years. As lj said above, she was right in the middle of the whole bossa nova scene from the late 50s on. May I recommend several of her cds? "Garota De Ipanema" with some wonderful support from guitarist Roberto Menescal (on Philips) is outstanding. On this cd is my favorite version of my favorite tune "Chega De Saudade". Another excellent cd is "Dez Anos Depois" All acoustic, this double cd recording (on Polygram) has some very moody haunting arrangements. Nara is one of my favorite female bossa nova singers along with Lisa Ono and of course the girls from Brasil 66.

Status
Not open for further replies.