New Brasil '77 video on YouTube

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Hey all Sergio fans!

There's a "new" video of Brasil '77 live on YouTube. It's from the Homecooking era and features Leza Miller and (a very young) Marietta Waters on vocals. Wish I had a link for ya'll.

Just go to YouTube and enter Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 Live and you'll find it.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Several! They open with Mas Que Nada and go from there. It's a live concert in Edmonton, Canada -- not the previously posted/taped concert as shown before.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

After Brasil 77's splendid Vintage 74 album with four fantastic Brazilian songs--two by Jobim who even performed on guitar--we have a 1975 self-titled album called "Sergio Mendes" on Electra. What an awful record--not one Brazilian song--and the tracks were at best mediocre. And so it was the Fall of 1975 and Sergio and his group came into town for a concert. With this album in mind and with much trepidation I thought I would take a chance going to this concert. Well I got lucky as the concert was full of fantastic Brazilian tunes along with his greatest hits from the late 60s, and not one song from that lousy '75 album. This excellent video typifies what I heard from that concert.

After Brasil 77's splendid Vintage 74 album with four fantastic Brazilian songs--two by Jobim who even performed on guitar--we have a 1975 self-titled album called "Sergio Mendes" on Electra. What an awful record--not one Brazilian song--and the tracks were at best mediocre. And so it was the Fall of 1975 and Sergio and his group came into town for a concert. With this album in mind and with much trepidation I thought I would take a chance going to this concert. Well I got lucky as the concert was full of fantastic Brazilian tunes along with his greatest hits from the late 60s, and not one song from that lousy '75 album. This excellent video typifies what I heard from that concert.

I may be in the minority, but I like the Sergio Mendes album from '75. It was a departure for Sergio. The label (from what I understand) had requested a soulful album, and that's just what Sergio produced.

No, it's not full of Brasilian music. No, it's not like many of his other albums. Yes, it has a relaxing '70s vibe.

I was also expecting more Brasil-influenced material when the album was released, but it grew on me.

Jon

The "Brasil Nut"

This aired in SLC when I was a teen for some reason, I remember seeing it.

Re: the 1975 album. In my travels as a Music Director for some Methodist congregations, I had an interaction with a pastor from (IIRC) a Texas (or maybe Florida) congregation where Sondra Catton was one of the worship leaders!

I may be in the minority, but I like the Sergio Mendes album from '75. It was a departure for Sergio.

I remember first seeing that '75 album and being a little nervous that it only had Sergio (and only his name) on the front cover and no sign of a 'band.' I was a little relieved when I looked at the back cover and saw the two ladies in the picture with him... so I figured the two-female-vocalists tradition was living on, at least. I liked some of the songs but the album is so far off of his trademark format that it doesn't seem like a Sergio Mendes album to me.

This video is good! I would still like to see Sergio someday, but the chances of him getting anywhere near here are pretty remote.

SERGIO MENDES (Elektra, 1975) has to be among my least played albums by Sergio. I look at the track list and just can't find a song that has made any impression on me.

After watching the video posted above, I think I've latched onto "I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)".

I'm listening to this video again now that I'm off work and can crank up the volume a little more. That smallish keyboard he uses on "Mais Que Nada" is pretty obnoxious and very dated..... otherwise it's a nice concert. The orchestra, barely seen in the background, fills in nicely where necessary. I was especially surprised to hear "The Sea Is My Soil."

The '75 Sergio album is great! "Davy" and "You've been away too long" were written by Benard Ighner who is Sondra Catton's brother.
This video had a nice line up of some great Brasil'66 songs. Marietta and Lise / Leeza / Lisa have a great sound together.
With all the English songs, I prefer the American singers. like the '75 and Homecooking and...

Back
Top Bottom