New Carpenters DVD's Available???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I was just at TowerRecords.Com & did a DVD search for Carpenters & I found alot of hits.

Is this new stuff? Help me out here.

Carpenters: Yesterday Once More (NTSC/RC-0) DVD

Carpenters: Yesterday Once More: Live (NTSC/RC-2) DVD

Carpenters: Interpretations (NTSC/RC-2) DVD

Carpenters: Live At Budokan 1974 (NTSC/RC-2) DVD

Can this really be true? DVD's? Or VCD's?

Am I late at getting this info? I have been waiting for Interpretations to get to DVD like forever.

Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

There are actually a lot of Carpenters DVDs available -- especially if you live outside the United States.

Here's what you saw:

>Carpenters: Yesterday Once More (NTSC/RC-0) DVD
>
>Carpenters: Yesterday Once More: Live (NTSC/RC-2) DVD
>
>Carpenters: Interpretations (NTSC/RC-2) DVD
>
>Carpenters: Live At Budokan 1974 (NTSC/RC-2) DVD

Where it says "RC-2," that means regional coding. The United States, as you may know, is region 1 when it comes to DVDs. Region 2 is England and Japan -- England using the PAL standard and Japan using the NTSC standard, so there's not much crossover there.

The first DVD you list is the "international" version of Yesterday Once More, which is available from several Asian countries. Being a regional coding 0 disc means it will play in any DVD player anywhere in the world. Depending on which country it comes from, it could be the 15-track version which is the same as the "Gold" DVD available in the U.S., or it could be the 16-track version which contains the rarely-seen "I Need to Be In Love" video. I have Yesterday Once More from China, which is the 16-track version, but I believe other countries have just released the 15-track version.

The other three DVDs you list are all from Japan (region 2) -- I think the "live" after "Yesterday Once More" is just a mistake, since there is a DVD called "Yesterday Once More" available from Japan. "Interpretations" and "Live at Budokan" are both available on DVD from Japan.

However, unless you have a multi-region DVD player, you will not be able to watch those DVDs in the United States. While China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Brazil, etc., tend to release "region 0" DVDs, the United States and Japan are very strict about regionally coding their discs.

I bought a multi-region, multi-standard DVD player a couple of years ago, and I'm very glad I did. I can play DVDs from anywhere in the world, so I buy DVDs from England, Japan, Australia... But multi-standard DVD players are somewhat hard to come by in the U.S.; you have to look for them (Best Buy and Circuit City don't carry them).

As far as I can tell, there have been at least eight different Carpenters DVDs released worldwide. "Gold" and "Close to You: Remembering the Carpenters" in the U.S., "Yesterday Once More," "Interpretations" and "Live at Budokan" in Japan, "A Video Biography/Karaoke" released in parts of Asia, and two different collections from Brazil.

David

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I have been waiting for Interpretations to get to DVD like forever.

Interpretations was released in Brazil (Region 0, NTSC). The quality is outstanding, and it can often be found on ebay for a very low price. I paid only $6 + shipping for a new, sealed copy.

Murray

Thanks, that explains it, Guess I wouldn't be able to play these anyway on my U.S. DVD player.

I guess I have seen these on ebay, I just thought that these were different ones. Oh well.

Some days ago, I bought the DVD INTERPRETATIONS, an import from Brazil, via ebay, for 15 Euro (plus 4 Euro shipping and handling). It is a RC 0 DVD. Will watch it later tonight.....

Bruno

very happy to finally have INTERPRETATIONS on DVD :)

Watched INTERPRETATIONS DVD yesterday.

The picture quality is not perfect, somewhat pale, but ok.

The sound is not overwhelming, but that might be due to my tv set.

BUT:
The bonus material is really bad. A discography, where the albums appear in the wrong order and with false release dates. VOTH appears even twice. :o

And the photo gallery - forget it. All pictures seen before.

Oh well. Glad I have this DVD nonetheless. :)

Bruno
from this moment on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom