New Carpenters logo for forum homepage

Discussion in 'Announcements, Forum Business & Help Desk' started by arthowson, Feb 9, 2018.

1. arthowson

arthowson Active Member Thread Starter

Don't hate me, but can we switch to the actual logo, rather than the Christmas Portrait font? It's just an annoyance to me.

2. We don't hate you, but the simple answer is no. The Carpenters logo is copyrighted and we don't have permission from Richard to use it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Bobberman and Rudy like this.
  3. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    What Harry said. But, the current logo is recognizable to Carpenters collectors, so we opted to use that to make a visual connection to the group without making use of their official logo.

jaredjohnfisher and Bobberman like this.
  4. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

I always thought the Christmas Portrait logo was pretty cool -- I thought it was a neat touch to use it on the Resource. It connects to the Carpenters without actually using their copyrighted logo.

5. arthowson

arthowson Active Member Thread Starter

Is the Passage Logo copyrighted? that'd be cool

6. Mike Blakesley

Probably not copyrighted individually but as a piece of artwork (consisting of the word plus the album cover image) it probably is. Whereas the CP logo is basically made from a "font" which has been used on a lot of things over the years. The Saturday Evening Post magazine uses the same font for its cover logo, which the Carpenters album emulates along with its Norman Rockwell-inspired artwork.

jaredjohnfisher likes this.
  7. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

I like The Logo Exactly the way it is.

8. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    It's hard to make "derivative" versions of art from any album cover out there. Copying it exactly (especially scanning it) could be troublesome again for copyright reasons; recreating a similar version reminiscent of that logo is hours of work in Illustrator. Would I like to use their official logo? Sure. But legally it's off limits. Is anything permanent on the site? No. But for sure, if I were to redo it and had the time, I likely would pick something else recognizable (yes, even the Passage-themed logo if I could make it unique enough to pass muster). Don't expect the site to ever look like a Valentine greeting card though. :D

The font for the current logo is standard, but I did have to stylize a couple of the letters to make them fit the theme a little better. It's similar to how I can use an old English "D" in the word Detroit, and imply the Detroit Tigers baseball team, or use a "University" style font and use any single letter to imply a local college team (like "M" for University of Michigan, or "S" for Michigan State).

9. Mike Blakesley

I am kind of surprised that the ® registered trademark symbol never appeared on Carpenters albums. Lots of other groups that were popular around the same time, like Chicago and Kansas, had the symbol next to their logos. Maybe the Carps' logo was copyrighted but not registered, if that's possible. Or they just elected not to use the symbol....I don't imagine it was necessarily a requirement to display it.

jaredjohnfisher likes this.
  10. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I know that copyright exists the moment something is published; additional protections come when the copyright is registered. The logo is a work of art and for that, copyright applies. But a logo can also be considered and registered as a trademark. Some artists or bands have trademarked their logo. If I remember from a few decades ago, a country artist (I'm thinking the Charlie Daniels Band?) trademarked their logo in order to combat the pirated t-shirts and souvenirs being sold.

Bobberman likes this.
  11. I recall seeing it on The Best of Bread album, too.